http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4305/cimg3461.jpg

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8905/cimg3473.jpg

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6061/cimg3477h.jpg

All caught on the chicken feathers.

Oh, and watch out for snakes.

"Good roads usually lead to bad fishing."

RiverWalker
05-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Those are some purdy looking fish! Love the yellow tint to em. How do you like your Echo rods?

Mr_Dunev
05-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Wow very pretty fish! That looks like a very peaceful place to fish.

Thanks for the great photos,
Lucas

DarkShadow
05-16-2012, 10:21 AM
How do you like your Echo rods?

In two words? LOVE THEM.

I'm loving this specific Carbon model, (mostly because I don't have the coin to be dropping on a Sage TCX right now. :-D)

You know how some people are concerned more on "where" a rod is made, rather than the performance, value, and cost? I'm not one of them.

I dig the 'modern' looking reel seat, as I'm not a fan of the 'wooden' reel seat. I dig the matte finish on the blank. (I still have yet to understand why the glossy finish on so many fly blanks these days. I can spot a fly fisherman 50 yards downstream just by the glare the rod produces, would hate to know that is also spooks fish.) I love the fact the rod was designed by Steve Rajeff, one of the big hitters in the industry, so it has the exact feel one would expect and want for an 'entry' level rod. (Kinda like why the majority of my bass rods are by Dobyns). The cork is of high quality, probably less pitted than some $300+ rods out there that I've inspected and has the 'two tone' affect on it, which I really dig.

Best part? $169. That's like what you get back when you recycle 100 pounds of aluminum cans!

midgettosser1
05-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Ah, you changed your nail polish.
Nice fish!!

DarkShadow
05-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Ah, you changed your nail polish.
Nice fish!!

I believe the color this time is called "Dodger Blues."

bassyakker
05-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Nice trucha marrons

5150fishn
05-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Those are some beautiful fish! Nice little honey hole you got there.

Piss on Myspace
05-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Outstanding!!! Some of the best looking bows ive seen socal...

keep em coming!!!

teejay
05-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Another fly fishing “fact” debunked on FNN: bright fluorescent fly lines and fingernail polish scare fish:Big Grin:
Nice catch!

Viejo
05-17-2012, 06:39 AM
Lots of people heading down that good road lately.......the parking sucks though when you want to fish with a crowd.

DarkShadow
05-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Lots of people heading down that good road lately.......the parking sucks though when you want to fish with a crowd.

I am seeing more interest in the fly fishing side of things, but I think it's the ebb and flow of people's fickleness. Like many things, once they lose interest and realize this isn't A River Runs Through It, the equipment will end up collecting dust, or in the Classifieds.

Avoiding crowds in SoCal is tough, which is why I don't even bother with accessible areas like the West Fork SGR anymore, or any area that has a road near it, especially with dozens of gems that rarely see any foot traffic.

TUNAVIC
05-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Nice! Cool pics,Thanks!

City Dad
05-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Holy !@$!@#$#%#%&*, dude. Those are like, the most #$%$%@#$%^@ sick !$%!%#$4 truchas I've !$%!$%!$%3 seen in a *%^@%$%$ long !#$%$!$ time.

ZZZZZ*SUPER*BEND-OH*HUNTER is what you are.

DarkShadow
05-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Holy !@$!@#$#%#%&*, dude. Those are like, the most #$%$%@#$%^@ sick !$%!%#$4 truchas I've !$%!$%!$%3 seen in a *%^@%$%$ long !#$%$!$ time.

ZZZZZ*SUPER*BEND-OH*HUNTER is what you are.

You know the only reason I got into fly fishing was because the bendo on the parabolic fly rod is officially categorized as a super bendo.

Plus, when an 18" rainbow at Hot Creek takes off downstream, carrying your 8X tippet with you, I love that sound those line holders we call reels make...

Hog Caller
05-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Prettiest trout I've seen from local waters.
Keep up the posts. Awesome everytime.

Brent

Leejahd
05-17-2012, 02:07 PM
DS what kind of echo fly rod would you recommend fore a. Beginner ? Along with weight and lenght?

DarkShadow
05-17-2012, 03:45 PM
DS what kind of echo fly rod would you recommend fore a. Beginner ? Along with weight and lenght?

Leejahd,

It honestly depends on where you're gonna be fishing and for what species. I've seen a lot of recommendations leaning towards a "5 weight 9 foot" fly rod, but if you're going to do primarily fishing in skinny water, where vegetation becomes a problem with casting, and you're going to be pursuing smaller native trout, personally IMO, a 5 weight is over kill, and all a 9 footer will do is get your flies stuck in trees.

BUT, if you're going to be on a tube (as i see in your avatar), and fishing still water situations (lakes, ponds, etc) where you may encounter various species, then a 9 foot 5 weight would come recommended, since you don't have to be worrying about where your back cast is going to end up.

I currently have a 7'6" Echo Carbon 3 weight that I'm extremely happy with, especially since 99.99% of the time i'm throwing a fly, i'm surrounded by shrubbery in small stream settings. This will throw small dry flies with precision, and can even handle throwing bead headed wet flies as well. It is a *tad* light for throwing double nymph rigs, or rigs with indicators, but it's not like it can't handle it. I also have an 8' Carbon, this time in the 4 weight, to handle any type of larger presentations that I may need. The GF has a 9', 4 weight, which is excellent for streams where you don't have to worry about a low canopy.

So it really depends on the style of fly fishing you're going to be doing, quite honesty, but the Carbon series come highly recommended, especially if you don't have the cash to be buying rods that are nearly a thousand dollars. Yikes.

DISCLAIMER: I JUST started fly fishing. So i'm not, what you would call an 'expert,' just giving my opinion based on my experiences on the water.

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

DockRat
05-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Great pics.

A river runs through it. :LOL:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/xtraordinarygal/Hunks/Brad%20Pitt/A%20River%20Runs%20Through%20It/A_River_Runs_Through_It.jpg

troutdog
05-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Nicely done, beautiful fish DS!

TD

Leejahd
05-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Leejahd,

It honestly depends on where you're gonna be fishing and for what species. I've seen a lot of recommendations leaning towards a "5 weight 9 foot" fly rod, but if you're going to do primarily fishing in skinny water, where vegetation becomes a problem with casting, and you're going to be pursuing smaller native trout, personally IMO, a 5 weight is over kill, and all a 9 footer will do is get your flies stuck in trees.

BUT, if you're going to be on a tube (as i see in your avatar), and fishing still water situations (lakes, ponds, etc) where you may encounter various species, then a 9 foot 5 weight would come recommended, since you don't have to be worrying about where your back cast is going to end up.

I currently have a 7'6" Echo Carbon 3 weight that I'm extremely happy with, especially since 99.99% of the time i'm throwing a fly, i'm surrounded by shrubbery in small stream settings. This will throw small dry flies with precision, and can even handle throwing bead headed wet flies as well. It is a *tad* light for throwing double nymph rigs, or rigs with indicators, but it's not like it can't handle it. I also have an 8' Carbon, this time in the 4 weight, to handle any type of larger presentations that I may need. The GF has a 9', 4 weight, which is excellent for streams where you don't have to worry about a low canopy.

So it really depends on the style of fly fishing you're going to be doing, quite honesty, but the Carbon series come highly recommended, especially if you don't have the cash to be buying rods that are nearly a thousand dollars. Yikes.

DISCLAIMER: I JUST started fly fishing. So i'm not, what you would call an 'expert,' just giving my opinion based on my experiences on the water.
But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
Ds Thanks for the bit of information you have given.

I would mostly fish for trout at some of our local lakes and perhaps some pan fish.and like you said from a tube.. would the 9 foot 5w still cover the type of fishing that i would do? How about reels?

DarkShadow
05-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Ds Thanks for the bit of information you have given.

I would mostly fish for trout at some of our local lakes and perhaps some pan fish.and like you said from a tube.. would the 9 foot 5w still cover the type of fishing that i would do? How about reels?

I think the 5 weight would still be a tad heavy, and personally, I would be going down to a 4 weight just for the sporting aspect of it. 9 footer would be a good length, simply because you won't have crap around you to contend with.

(Although, watch your back cast at City Park Lakes. You're liable to hook a kid since they'll walk behind you during your cast.)

And as far as the reel? Oh boy....

"Traditional" fly fisherman seem to think that if you're fishing for trout or panfish, i.e. species that won't really peel line off your reel, that people are wasting their money buying an expensive fly reel, when all it will be is a place to hold your line. Then again, those are the people that look like this:

http://images.suite101.com/1295599_com_louis_john.jpg

But, as I've seen, there will be the occasional fish that you tangle with that will test your reel's construction, and especially its drag. It really depends on how much you're willing to spend to tell you the truth. I've felt reels in the 60 dollar range that were decent, but for my first reel, I ended up getting a Lamson Konic.

The Konic is a great starter 'quality' reel, and it's solid construction and amazing conical drag system rivals some pretty expensive reels.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-t6AVoG39SSk/TksIoKc31fI/AAAAAAAAA7w/GZ1zXDj98ZE/s1600/Konic.jpg

I was so impressed by the value and the construction, that I upgraded to a Lamson Litesepeed ALOX because I got an amazing deal on them.

http://store.fryingpananglers.com/product_images/h/465/Lamson_Litespeed_blowup_-_edited_-_front__77446_zoom.jpg

The only other reel I own is a Marryat Classic MR 7, and although it's a 'hand-me-down' classic from the 80s, apparently still raises eyebrows from the fly fishing crowd, because they were built so well. It's slightly heavier than the Litespeed, and because it's not a true large arbor reel, it feels like you're winding in forever when youre retrieving the line at your feet. But, it has a great drag and offers silent operation by not having the annoying 'click' sound when reeling in.

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/1206/imag0610m.jpg

Kelster
05-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Beautiful looking fish..............

WARRIORMIKE
05-20-2012, 03:26 PM
I almost bought one of those rods. Good to see you like the performance on those. When it comes to a 3wt rod, I try to get them as inexpensive as I can.