PDA

View Full Version : Piers with a good amount of mackerel?

PokerFish
05-15-2012, 08:31 PM
I have a buddy that's introducing his gf to fishing so wanted to take them out to a local pier. Figured that way they don't have to worry about licenses and can hopefully catch a decent amount of fish.

Any recommendations on piers near the LA area that have a good run of mackerel right now?

bassfishing24/7
05-15-2012, 08:56 PM
From my experience i would have to say balboa pier,i caught a ton there,if u dont wanna drive too far,redondo & santa monica r pretty good as well.
Good luck!

smokehound
05-16-2012, 12:00 AM
The further south you go, the better it gets.

Generally all the piers are great for mackerel right now.

Be advised that Seal Beach, Belmont Shores, and Pier J are best fished when the tide is on the move. Those waters are sheltered and mackerel will leave when the water goes slack.

The ocean front piers like Newport, Balboa, San Clemente, and huntington beach are best. The wedge is also good for mackerel, but please dont go all the way out, lots of people get swept out there and disappear.

Best thing about mackerel fishing-- You dont need to bring your own bait.. If you can get just one chunk of bait from someone, you can catch enough mackerel to fish all day long.

Personally, I'd rather buy a one-day fishing license and hit the surf or harbors instead. (You dont need an ocean enhancement stamp for a one day license)

PokerFish
05-16-2012, 02:05 AM
The further south you go, the better it gets.

Generally all the piers are great for mackerel right now.

Be advised that Seal Beach, Belmont Shores, and Pier J are best fished when the tide is on the move. Those waters are sheltered and mackerel will leave when the water goes slack.

The ocean front piers like Newport, Balboa, San Clemente, and huntington beach are best. The wedge is also good for mackerel, but please dont go all the way out, lots of people get swept out there and disappear.

Thanks for the replies guys. I would prefer to stay as north as possible to cut down on the drive since I would be coming down from the San Fernando Valley. Where is Pier J? Google didn't turn anything up

DockRat
05-16-2012, 05:56 AM
Where is Pier J? Google didn't turn anything up
Queen Mary public fishing area at the very end of the 710. You need a license there.
It is rocks not a pier. I was there yesterday kinda dead. Try Redondo short pier,
open till 6:30.
DR

PokerFish
05-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Queen Mary public fishing area at the very end of the 710. You need a license there.
It is rocks not a pier. I was there yesterday kinda dead. Try Redondo short pier,
open till 6:30.
DR

Thanks DR, I'll try Redondo. What's the next pier south of that in case Redondo is dead?

DockRat
05-17-2012, 07:17 PM
What's the next pier south of that in case Redondo is dead?

They get at Macs on the Horseshoe Redondo too.
Like SH said, Belmont or Seal too.

Call Redondo Sportfishing and ask if the Macs are going off and what time of the day is best.
DR

Re8elmonk0341
05-17-2012, 11:03 PM
If you're going to 'Dondo pier try to get there early. If the mackerels are running there will be tons of people fishing for them. The corner by the bait shop/ restaurant seems to be best but I've had luck all along that pier. One advice for you IF you use a sabiki rig for them, I'd usually only use 1/2 the rig. Cut it in 1/2. Less tangles and you can share he other 1/2 with a friend. That way both can catch more fish with less tangles (on your part, can't speak for the other pier goers) and everyone is happy as a queer with a bag of foot longs.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

DockRat
05-18-2012, 05:59 AM
I guess your talking about the Horse Shoe ?
I never go out there.

Happy as a queer with a bag of foot longs.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab106/Nekoman444/dildos.jpg