PDA

View Full Version : Yellowtails @ local Piers

Loggoog
08-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Does anyone know if any yellowtail showed up at any piers around here. If so, what kind of rig up should I use?

Thanks!

-Loggoog

n1ckxlam
08-21-2007, 12:35 AM
lol haha

KaliDawgFan
08-21-2007, 05:44 AM
If so, what kind of rig up should I use?

Thanks!

-Loggoog

sabiki

SOSO
08-21-2007, 12:04 PM
They do not come that close to shore. Rarely it has happened, not in schools, but one or two that lost its way. Your chances are the same winning a lottery. But you might have a better chance at Catalina Island. Instead of one in a million, one in a 999,999. They have a small type of Pier. Other than that, go on a multiday trip for better luck.

xahx
08-21-2007, 12:06 PM
not true they do come close to shore, just not california shore :D :D

BakoBassin
08-21-2007, 12:10 PM
They used to catch a few off the short pier at Redondo years ago. I imagine there are still stragglers. They used to just let a whole squid sit there until they got one. They were firecrackers though.

SOSO
08-21-2007, 01:54 PM
not true they do come close to shore, just not california shore :D :D

Imagine that, surf fishing for Yellowtail..

chye
08-22-2007, 02:13 AM
I've seen 2 Yellowtails off Newport Pier about 2 summers ago when the Bonies were in by the thousands. I almost had one of the yellowtail on my iron that day... it came up for it, but didnt hit it. It was about 15-20lb... that stopped by heart for a sec. I almost had him too!!! It was big, shiney, and yellow... torpedo like shaped in the water. It was such a site to see!!! Too bad, I could've been on the news or something for landing a yellow off the local pier. 8) And yes... that yellowtail was riding solo at the time. Just another lost yellow, as mentioned above.

Soakin Bait
08-22-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm going out on a 3 day trip in San Diego on Labor Day Weekend. Hope to see them then :titanic:

Baseballer44
08-22-2007, 12:48 PM
I'm going out on a 3 day trip in San Diego on Labor Day Weekend. Hope to see them then :titanic:
What happened soakin? You finally gave up on Catalina? :rain:

xahx
08-22-2007, 01:22 PM

I hope he didnt! he knows that theres good fish there

Baseballer44
08-22-2007, 01:31 PM

I hope he didnt! he knows that theres good fish there
uh oh, looks like youve got some secrets i need to be in on! :group:

Soakin Bait
08-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Don't worry guys
I haven't gave up on Catalina. I've had this trip planned for 8 months. I do know a little more about the island. Caught the biggest bonita I've ever seen last week there. Would of caught more but the wife is not too experienced in gaffing. The yellowtail are there I just got to find them :lol: :lol: :lol:

Soon to be Soakin Bait in the Outer Banks :thumb:

ghetto dad
08-22-2007, 06:48 PM
i went to cabrillo beach pier yesterday, and caught 5 yellowtail from 10-15 lbs, 4 bluefin tuna up to 30, 1 yellowfin tuna that i dumped at color, estimated AT LEAST 75 lbs, and 8 dorado....all caught flyling Lokey Bass...also knows as "tom cod"...

Baseballer44
08-22-2007, 07:01 PM
i went to cabrillo beach pier yesterday, and caught 5 yellowtail from 10-15 lbs, 4 bluefin tuna up to 30, 1 yellowfin tuna that i dumped at color, estimated AT LEAST 75 lbs, and 8 dorado....all caught flyling Lokey Bass...also knows as "tom cod"...
well who hasnt done that

ghetto dad
08-22-2007, 07:03 PM
well who hasnt done that

yeah, but i did it naked.....

Baseballer44
08-22-2007, 07:14 PM
[quote="ghetto dad":12d37]i went to cabrillo beach pier yesterday, and caught 5 yellowtail from 10-15 lbs, 4 bluefin tuna up to 30, 1 yellowfin tuna that i dumped at color, estimated AT LEAST 75 lbs, and 8 dorado....all caught flyling Lokey Bass...also knows as "tom cod"...
well who hasnt done that

yeah, but i did it naked.....[/quote:12d37]
so i saw.. :explode:

Stormcrow
08-22-2007, 07:17 PM
You know what? I can tell you that nowadays, yellowtail by the pier are very few and far between. Probably because the people giving you a hard time in this thread overfished the hell out of them and ruined it for everyone. J/k :lol:

But really, your question is not a bad one. I can think of 2 times in my life when yellowtail were thick around the pier. The first was back in the 80's when you could see schools of 40 or so cruising by Redondo pier in King Harbor. One guy even caught one close to 30 lbs in a rental boat in the warm water outlet right to the left of the pier in that cove. I was a kid throwing feathers from the pier when bonito were so think you could walk on them. That yellow towed him around in that little boat for 15 minutes then he boated it and I almost peed myself.

The second time was in 1997 when we had a strong El Nino, thousands of yellows were cruising HB pier and all local piers cuz the water was so warm. I even heard of people catching them off the beach that year.

But pier yellows are even more difficult to catch if they are present. For some reason, they are super skiddish. Im sure other people will tell you that too.

ghetto dad
08-22-2007, 07:19 PM
You know what? I can tell you that nowadays, yellowtail by the pier are very few and far between. Probably because the people giving you a hard time in this thread overfished the hell out of them and ruined it for everyone. J/k :lol:

But really, your question is not a bad one. I can think of 2 times in my life when yellowtail were thick around the pier. The first was back in the 80's when you could see shools of 40 or so cruising by Redondo pier in King Harbor. One guy even caught one close to 30 lbs in a rental boat in the warm water outlet right to the left of the pier in that cove. I was a kid throwing feathers from the pier when bonito were so think you could walk on them. That yellow towed him around in that little boat for 15 minutes then he boated it and I almost peed myself.

The second time was in 1997 when we had a strong El Nino, thousands of yellows were cruising HB pier and all local piers cuz the water was so warm. I even heard of people catching them off the beach that year.

But pier yellows are even more difficult to catch if they are present. For some reason, they are super skiddish. Im sure other people will tell you that too.

lol...i wasnt giving him a hard time.....and i remember those days too..the days when bonita was big game fishing for me...oh, i miss those days... :cry:

Stormcrow
08-22-2007, 07:25 PM

But really, your question is not a bad one. I can think of 2 times in my life when yellowtail were thick around the pier. The first was back in the 80's when you could see shools of 40 or so cruising by Redondo pier in King Harbor. One guy even caught one close to 30 lbs in a rental boat in the warm water outlet right to the left of the pier in that cove. I was a kid throwing feathers from the pier when bonito were so think you could walk on them. That yellow towed him around in that little boat for 15 minutes then he boated it and I almost peed myself.

lol...i wasnt giving him a hard time.....and i remember those days too..the days when bonita was big game fishing for me...oh, i miss those days... :cry:

You know what? I wonder what ever happened to kill King Harbor like that. I heard that in 1989 or 1990 they shut down the power plant that warmed that water which is what caused all the fish to come in in the first place. All of a sudden, after 23-30 years of awesome fishing, King Harbor just died.

ghetto dad
08-22-2007, 07:27 PM
its just one of lifes mysteries....lol........that sounds about right though.....

Fishin_nutt
08-24-2007, 02:12 PM
What family is the yellowtail in ? is it a tuna or not ?

Baseballer44
08-24-2007, 02:18 PM
What family is the yellowtail in ? is it a tuna or not ?
no its in the jack family

Fishin_nutt
08-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Ok thanks for the reply !!! Me and my buddy caught 7 nice size ones at the rock pile south of the nado's yesterday

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/resized2.jpg

Error: File 'resized.jpg' exists, can not overwrite !

Fishin_nutt
08-24-2007, 02:35 PM
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/resized.jpg

Fishin_nutt
08-24-2007, 02:38 PM
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/new.jpg

Baseballer44
08-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Ok thanks for the reply !!! Me and my buddy caught 7 nice size ones at the rock pile south of the nado's yesterday

nado's as in coronados?

you guys made the trip all the way down there?

Fishin_nutt
08-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Yes we went to down south of the cornado islands !!! And will be leavin bacc down there in the morning !!! Not that far if u launch out of shelter island !!!

hartattack13
08-26-2007, 02:50 PM

lmfao :rofl: i wish i could have cruised over there to see how many guys were crowding that pier right now!!!. CLASSIC.

smokehound
08-29-2007, 12:59 AM
Yellowtail DO hit piers, but only people who stay there for more than 10 hours fishing have a chance at spotting any.

Ive caught tiny dorados hiding under drift kelp at newport.