PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing the bay!

SKramer
05-15-2012, 03:34 PM
I might be hitting up the harbor this weekend and I feel like getting a spotty on the fly for the first time! I have never touched salt water with my fly rod so I am clueless on what to throw. Have any of you fly fished the harbor with decent success? And if so what patterns should I throw and what weight of rod did you use? My 7 weight is out of commission right now so I am going to try my 5 :LOL: Any advice will be appreciated!

lip rippin sob
05-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Your crazy Tay!
anything a fresh water bass would eat.
Do you have weighted line? If so I I have a few ill let you use, not sure the names tho.

smokehound
05-16-2012, 12:08 AM
You will need flies heavy enough to sink to the bottom. This can be difficult when the current is ripping..

Generally, browns and greens work great. Spotties sit on the bottom, and do not like to move much.. most of their prey is shore crabs and other small bottom and structure oriented critters, like bay blennies.

kgselect
05-16-2012, 11:13 AM
I would recommend sink tip or full sink. Any streamer that imitates a small bait fish would work (minnow, anchovy, sardine pattern). Work around the docks and under boats. You'll have a handful with a 16" spottie on a 5wt rod. Good luck.

SKramer
05-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Probably not going to hit the bay this weekend. Might end up getting on a charter boat instead. Definitely will be fly fishing the bay sooner or later. Thanks for the tips.

I would recommend sink tip or full sink. Any streamer that imitates a small bait fish would work (minnow, anchovy, sardine pattern). Work around the docks and under boats. You'll have a handful with a 16" spottie on a 5wt rod. Good luck.
Yeah I figured a nice spotty would rip a 5wt pretty good. Hopefully I can get my 7wt sent in sometime soon. That might be a little better haha.