PDA

View Full Version : Newport Harbor Skiff Fishing.!

Danny7600
05-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Hey fellas i am going to be renting a skiff from Davy Jones here in a couple weeks and i was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on where to go in the harbor for some good fish. Im bringing my wife along and she hasn't really hooked into a good fish yet so i want to make sure she has a good time. Any advice on the layout or something would be awesome.

Thanks fellas and good luck fishing

LBSea
05-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Hey fellas i am going to be renting a skiff from Davy Jones here in a couple weeks and i was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on where to go in the harbor for some good fish. Im bringing my wife along and she hasn't really hooked into a good fish yet so i want to make sure she has a good time. Any advice on the layout or something would be awesome.

Thanks fellas and good luck fishing

Try any private dock in the bay or the channel in front of the Coast Gaurd Station or under the PCH bridge to name a few. Also, check the fish report in Saltwater Bay, Harbor, Surf Report for recent reports for more suggetions. They should give you live bait with your rental and you will catch fish with live bait. Stay with lighter gear like you would use for freshwater bass 6-8lb test will get bit the most but 12lb. will land the big ones. No heavier than 12lb. unless you fish power pro or some other braided line.

If you like fishing plastics like Robo Craws or Creature Baits this is the bay to do it. Fish along side pier pillings and hold on. The best advise anyone ever gave me for NPH was anything a fresh water bass will hit a bay bass will destroy.

Good luck and pass that rod to the wife if you get bit first!

Danny7600
05-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Try any private dock in the bay or the channel in front of the Coast Gaurd Station or under the PCH bridge to name a few. Also, check the fish report in Saltwater Bay, Harbor, Surf Report for recent reports for more suggetions. They should give you live bait with your rental and you will catch fish with live bait. Stay with lighter gear like you would use for freshwater bass 6-8lb test will get bit the most but 12lb. will land the big ones. No heavier than 12lb. unless you fish power pro or some other braided line.

If you like fishing plastics like Robo Craws or Creature Baits this is the bay to do it. Fish along side pier pillings and hold on. The best advise anyone ever gave me for NPH was anything a fresh water bass will hit a bay bass will destroy.

Good luck and pass that rod to the wife if you get bit first!

Thanks for all the advice, i think we will have a good day. And the wife always gets the first fish.

boxl0bster
05-18-2012, 01:49 PM
how many people have rented the skiff and received bait? live or dead? i never have...i know the website says they give it out but they've never given me any. anyways like the previous poster said, just toss a bait/lure into or near the docks/pilings and you'll be good to go.

smokehound
05-18-2012, 02:32 PM
They dont give you bait, you have to go to the receiver, which is a waste of time..

if you want live bait, jig it up with a size 12-14 sabiki. Should only take a few minutes.. Dont use too big of a weight at the bottom of the sabiki or else you'll scare them away.

Danny7600
05-19-2012, 11:34 AM
They dont give you bait, you have to go to the receiver, which is a waste of time..

if you want live bait, jig it up with a size 12-14 sabiki. Should only take a few minutes.. Dont use too big of a weight at the bottom of the sabiki or else you'll scare them away.

12-14 sabiki, what kind of weight size am i looking at? 8-10lb test line right?

Once again thanks guys for all the suggestions, i just want to show the wife a good time and get her a good fish on.

smokehound
05-19-2012, 12:52 PM
12-14 sabiki, what kind of weight size am i looking at? 8-10lb test line right?

Once again thanks guys for all the suggestions, i just want to show the wife a good time and get her a good fish on.I'd use a quarter-OZ (1/4) bell sinker (dropshot sinker)..

too heavy of a sinker and the line will remain taught, and the sibiki will sink way too fast.. with a lighter weight, it will fall slower and move more naturally.

Ifishtoolittle
05-19-2012, 04:37 PM
I think even catching bait will getting your wife hooked on this amazing sport.