PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing Setup for newbie

Carptain_Bao
05-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Hey guys, I am thinking about try some fly fishing, mostly for panfish and trout. I'm thinkin bout getting the BPS white river fly shop Dogwood Canyon Pre-assembled fly outfit 9' 5wt.Do u guys think that may be good for beginners?
also what the backing,fly line and tippet would be recommended?
How do you use those indicators?
Hope someone can help me out!
Thanks

Bao

DEVOREFLYER
05-14-2012, 09:50 AM
I would suggest that you start here for answers to your questions.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/beginners/

Skyler
05-14-2012, 10:11 AM
What kind of water do you plan on fishing? Lakes, streams? How far do you need to cast? Do the lakes/streams you fish have a lot of shoreline cover? What size fish will you typically be fighting? There are a lot of factors to consider when choosing a length, weight, and action.

DarkShadow
05-14-2012, 10:41 AM
There are a lot of factors to consider when choosing a length, weight, and action.

That's what Quagga said.

But yes, think about the type of fishing you're going to be doing. Not all combos are created equal.

Fishnfun
05-14-2012, 12:33 PM
If you are planning on just fishing the local lakes, the BPS outfit is good enough. Majority of what you will catch you can hand line in without using the reel. The BPS outfit comes with everything you need to get started, including the fly line, backing and leader. Go with the 9', 5 wt as the best overall size. The rod is only a 2 pc so it's a little long for transport and it does not come with a rod tube, but these are minor points for local fishing. The key to a beginner's success is practice your casting. That includes roll casting. You can google and youtube most of the technical info on different fly methods and indicator setups. But, you will never be consistently successful until he have acquire some skills in casting. Casting with an indicator is more difficult. I recommend learning to cast without the indicator. So, back to your main question, my opinion is that the BPS outfit is good enough and at $99 complete, it's hard to beat the price.

RiverWalker
05-14-2012, 02:12 PM
If you are really going to commit yourself to Buggy whippin and could afford it, I would recommend that you just buy yourself a decent rod. Which rods? That's really hard to say. Like everyone mentioned, it really depends on where you plan to fish (lakes, small streams/creeks, or big rivers), for what kind of fish/size of fish you're targeting, and how you are planning to target them (dries, nymphs, streamers, and hook size of each). Companies like Sage, Scott and TFO all have really nice starter or close to starter rods at a decent price. Some models you might want to check out are the Sage Flight, Scott A2 or A3, or TFO Lefty Kreh professional series rods. You could find really good deals on these rods on ebay. You could probably find the TFO rod that I mentioned for about $115. These rods are listed as a med/fast action but I would call them more of a true medium action rod. The Scott A2 or A3 rods have been upgraded by Scott to the A4 model now so you could find the A2 or A3 for about $175 to $250 on Ebay. These are really sweet med/fast action rods. I'm not sure how much the Sage flights are running for but they are in the same class as the Scott A series rods so they should probably be priced the same. As far as reels are concerned. A decent starter reel you might like is the Lamson Konic (around $120), Ross Flyrise (about $100), Ross Flystart ($55) Orvis Battenkill (between $150 to $200), or even a Sage 1850 ($140). I would also recommend that you don't go too cheap on your fly line too. Fly line very important IMHO. Hard to make good presentations or have good control, or float/sink properly if your line isn't doing what it is supposed to do. If you are only moderately interested in Fly fishing, then it might be better to buy a cheaper combo outfit from BPS or Cabelas. If you're planning to stick with it, you'll eventually upgrade your gear and end up regretting your decision to waste money on cheap starter rigs when you could of got some better quality gear from the start. I don't think there's anything wrong with learning on quality gear but that's just my opinion. I would also recommend visiting your local fly shop and test our some rods. Most fly shops will allow you to test cast their rods so you get a feel on what feels right for you. Many believe that Medium action rods are best to learn on. You could get the feel of the rod loading and how to use it when fly casting better than on a fast action rod. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Carptain_Bao
05-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks for all the advice you guys give me!
I'm gonna target small games like pan fish or stocker trout. I'm not really sure if I can handle this style of fishing so Imma just gonna stay with the BPS outfit at first
But just like river walker said,if I really enjoy it,I need to upgrade my gear eventually!
I really need to learn how to cast with the fly rod.
Again thanks to y'all!

Bao

Seabass_Seeker
05-14-2012, 04:18 PM
I have that exact outfit but in 8'6" and 6wt. It's a very forgiving rod for beginners, the parabolic action makes it really easy to cast. I was considering either this one or the cabela's starter set-ups but found mine used on CL and jumped on it. Glad I did!

Carptain_Bao
05-14-2012, 07:46 PM
I have that exact outfit but in 8'6" and 6wt. It's a very forgiving rod for beginners, the parabolic action makes it really easy to cast. I was considering either this one or the cabela's starter set-ups but found mine used on CL and jumped on it. Glad I did!

Thanks for sharing that. I decide to stick with the BPS outfit!

white belt
05-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Bao did you get your fly rod yet? I'm thinking about getting the scientific anglers set on amazon for $69 and practicing at Peck.