PDA

View Full Version : Private boater Dana Point GOOD FISHING/ WHALE SIGHTINGS

JL
05-13-2012, 11:25 AM
added picture of Grey whale breeching at my boat and then dove under my boat. 5/14/2012

My wife and I have been making regular trips out of Long Beach and Dana Point. The water temp edged over 63.8 Saturday outside Dana point harbor. We fished the "gigantic" sardines from the Dana point bait barge. I heard that had some anchovies earlier in the week but not by the weekend. I wish they would consider offering live squid.

We were on the water by 6:30 am. My wife and my son Gary all had good action in the morning.

My wife and i worked "something" for about 10 minutes that kept heading back into the kelp but we could not get it up enough to see. The way the pole was jumping and drag running out I felt like it may be White sea bass or maybe a Bat ray
Finally took a hard dive down and under the boat directly into a large Kelp we were sitting on and wrapped her in the kelp and gone.

My Son Gary did manage to get into some Sheep-head and he boated a 5.5 lb 20 inch. Plus a 3 lb 15 inch.

We also had some some small bass (released) and or course Mackeral take our bait.

Now about the Whales. 2 weeks ago my wife and i were out of Dana point about a mile out and 2 miles north of the harbor. While fishing I heard this whoosh in the water and my wife looked like she was in shock. Less than 100 yards from our boat were 2 Blue whales breeching Both about 40 feet or longer. What a site. We saw them breech again but we were not prepared to get pictures.

Saturday as we fishing in the same area. About 100 feet from us 2 Grey whales about 20 feet long came up facing our boat. They continued towards us and then to our surprise the breeched just before my boat / then dove under / the tails almost hitting the side of the boat where we were standing------- with our mouths wide open in amazement. Through out the day there were about 5 more sightings of the Grey whales in that area. They were right in side the Kelp north of Dana Point.

We are Blessed that we were able to see these beautiful creatures of Gods' creation in person.
One of those Bucket list items that none of us every expected to experience

I am excited about this coming season. A good start compared to the last 2 years.

God Bless you all and a special Blessing to all MOMS TODAY.

murrieta angler
05-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Nice report JL!
I remember a few years back when I took my family out for some fishing.
What a surprise when we saw a pod of Orca chasing dolphins and porpoises!!!
It was crazy and my daughter did manage to get some pictures.
Thanks for the report & may the Lord Bless you and yours!
Robert
<><