PDA

View Full Version : While at the Swim Beach

Newfishsmell
05-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Took LittleC (aka) EZlimits down to the swim beach this morning for a little swim and fish time.
I tie on my usual 3in swimbait and start making some cast. I had two hook ups and lost'em both ... :Sad:

What else is one to do but keep casting. Not to long after I get another hit, and I could feel it was swimming
towards me, so I just keep winding ... and finally BAM ! my rod loads up. Cool, it felt a little heavy but not fighting
back very hard. I call my daughter over to take the rod and wind'em in. She's having a hard time so I hold the rod
while she cranks'em in. Once we get'em into the shallow, OH SH** ... opps, cover your ears LittleC, and give me the rod.

Now this dude starts pulling drag and makes a few good runs and luckily the hook stays put. I get it in the shallow and
reach down for it, just then it makes another run, OH CRAP ... :Shocked:

But after a little team work we get'em in ... YES

No need to measure this one ... :Big Grin: ... My PB from the sand !
http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad324/everycast/A%20big%20hali/IMAG0004-1.jpg

LittleC says its this big !!
http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad324/everycast/A%20big%20hali/IMAG0006-1.jpg

Had a few Halibut recipes flash through my head, but decided on ... CPR.

Until Next Time !

Mr_Dunev
05-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Woah awesome Halibut!!!!! Congrats on the new PB! That was very cool of you to let littleC take over the reins for a while, she will be a champion angler before you know it! You can tell she is excited her smile says it all. That looks like a picture worthy of getting framed!

Like I said before I have never caught anything on a swimbait and you
make it look EASY!!

Thanks for the report and pictures, by the way what color swimmie were you using? Best,
Lucas

Newfishsmell
05-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Woah awesome Halibut!!!!! Congrats on the new PB! That was very cool of you to let littleC take over the reins for a while, she will be a champion angler before you know it! You can tell she is excited her smile says it all. That looks like a picture worthy of getting framed!

Like I said before I have never caught anything on a swimbait and you
make it look EASY!!

Thanks for the report and pictures, by the way what color swimmie were you using? Best,
Lucas

Hi Lucas

I was using a Big Hammer Spottie Special color with a 1/4 ounce darter head. Yeah LittleC just keep saying, Woah thats a big fish ... Lol

Thanks for the kind words.

bloox8
05-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Congrats on the new PB!!
Thats crazy that you caught that big of a halibut on a 3 inch swimbait :Applause:
I've tried to get hooked onto a halibut with a swimbait several times now, but had no luck. Now im inspired to go try again!

I need to work on my swimbait technique.
Do you just slow retrieve or do you pop it from time to time?

Thanks for the report!

Thien

murrieta angler
05-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Fantastic Job Chuck!!! :Big Grin:
I have been waiting for almost 2 years now to see you bring in that big ol monster...:Wink:
I bet that Little C will never forget that, as well as yourself, for as long as you two live...:Envious:
Great looking pictures and report,
Robert
<><

Karyn
05-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Very nice!! The boys want to go surfing in the am, now I know what I'll be doing : ) Congrats! I Love the smiles in the photo!

iLLest
05-12-2012, 08:41 PM
dude, nice fish! lil one must have been stoked!

SP Dan
05-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Hi ya Newfishsmell,

What a fantastic day for you with your PB Hali and to have shared the whole experience with LittleC (aka) EZlimits! :Thumbs Up:
A life time of enjoyable memories to share....for sure! WTG! :Wink:

Thanx Chuck for the fun read with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Which Way Out
05-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Niiiiiiiiiiiiice. So cool, I bet your little C is gonna grow up and show the boys how its done.
One of the Good days that's for sure.

Thanks for the wonderful pic's.
WWO

DockRat
05-13-2012, 06:36 AM
Wow, nice Hali there.

efishent
05-13-2012, 08:18 AM
What a thrilling addition to the beach outing. Very cool battle and release. I think release is just as rewarding, I love to place my hands under the belly and watch hali lay motionless in the water for few seconds and then suddenly give a tail splash and torpedo out into the ocean. I hope your girl enjoyed that part as well

vanillagurilla
05-13-2012, 10:02 AM
That's the exact spot where I got my 30+in hali last year! Lol

Mischief
05-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Nice flattie! congrats,..

Lo,.

smokehound
05-13-2012, 12:40 PM
thank you for releasing your halibut. That must have been really difficult to do :LOL:

Newfishsmell
05-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Congrats on the new PB!!
Thats crazy that you caught that big of a halibut on a 3 inch swimbait :Applause:
I've tried to get hooked onto a halibut with a swimbait several times now, but had no luck. Now im inspired to go try again!

I need to work on my swimbait technique.
Do you just slow retrieve or do you pop it from time to time?

Thanks for the report!

Thien

Hi Thien

I do a varity of retrieve's - popping it, fast then slow retrieve or a stop and go, and at different depths.
But almost all the bite's come on a slow retrieve, VERY slow. I've had better luck on the Halibut by starting
my retrieve with my lure a few feet off the bottom, or soon after it hits the water. I like to keep my rod in a
10 o'clock position, and use the lightest leadhead possible.

Oh, and by the way ! What ever your doing out there now, is working just fine by the looks of your reports ... Lol

Good Luck, and keep up the good work out there.

Fantastic Job Chuck!!! :Big Grin:
I have been waiting for almost 2 years now to see you bring in that big ol monster...:Wink:
I bet that Little C will never forget that, as well as yourself, for as long as you two live...:Envious:
Great looking pictures and report,
Robert
<><

Ha Ha ... I know, I was beginning to think it was a curse ... Lol. This one left no doubt in my mind :Big Grin:
Definitely a great moment we will be talking about for a long time. Luckily there was one man walking in our
direction who took the pictures for us, and he was just as excited as we were.

Thanks Robert !

Very nice!! The boys want to go surfing in the am, now I know what I'll be doing : ) Congrats! I Love the smiles in the photo!

Hi Karyn

Hard to beat a day at the beach with the family. Thank you and Happy Mother's Day.

PS ... I hope you resolved that backlash issue ... :Smile:

dude, nice fish! lil one must have been stoked!

Yes she was . I kept wondering why she couldn't turn the handle. At first I thought
it was because she had never used a baitcaster before. I kept telling her " Stop Acting Like A Little Girl "
get that fish in! ... Lol , joke Ha Ha.

Thanks

Hi ya Newfishsmell,

What a fantastic day for you with your PB Hali and to have shared the whole experience with LittleC (aka) EZlimits! :Thumbs Up:
A life time of enjoyable memories to share....for sure! WTG! :Wink:

Thanx Chuck for the fun read with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Great memories indeed. I'm sure will look back at this for many years to come.

Thanks Dan

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice. So cool, I bet your little C is gonna grow up and show the boys how its done.
One of the Good days that's for sure.

Thanks for the wonderful pic's.
WWO

I have the feeling she's gonna be right there with the best of them.

Thanks WWO

Wow, nice Hali there.

Exactly what I said when I saw it ... WOW

Thanks DR

Newfishsmell
05-13-2012, 07:51 PM
What a thrilling addition to the beach outing. Very cool battle and release. I think release is just as rewarding, I love to place my hands under the belly and watch hali lay motionless in the water for few seconds and then suddenly give a tail splash and torpedo out into the ocean. I hope your girl enjoyed that part as well

Hi efishent

She was right there for the release and just as excited. Her exact words were " Daddy, we have to release it ! it might be a Mommy"
Too cool.

That's the exact spot where I got my 30+in hali last year! Lol

Ha Ha ... I remember that report. I just kept thinking "no way, he didn't catch that there. All I ever get there
is small Halibut or Croaker" . Now I'm a believer ... Lol

Nice flattie! congrats,..

Lo,.

Thanks Mischief

thank you for releasing your halibut. That must have been really difficult to do :LOL:

Yes it was ... The recipe section on this board was dancing through my head. But then I thought, do I really wanna get off my
diet of fast food and take out meals for a week of Halibut ?? Back she goes ... Lol

Thanks smokehound

Chuck

bachiboy
05-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Yikes!!! That is one nice flattie. Little C can stick her whole arm down that thing...not that I recommend that of course. :LOL:

Great job out there!

keada714
05-14-2012, 07:51 AM
Congrats on the fatty! I fished there a few weeks back and did pretty good, just couldn't land the right ones! Seems like I!need to bring my niece or nephew for the extra luck! Thanks for the report!

Wingnut
05-14-2012, 05:57 PM
That's what it's all about right there... priceless memories. :Big Grin:
Great job on the beautiful Hali and kudos for the release. :Thumbs Up:
Now go get yourself another one! :Wink:

Newfishsmell
05-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Yikes!!! That is one nice flattie. Little C can stick her whole arm down that thing...not that I recommend that of course. :LOL:

Great job out there!

Lol ... I hadn't noticed that, but it looks like it would

Thanks bachiboy

Congrats on the fatty! I fished there a few weeks back and did pretty good, just couldn't land the right ones! Seems like I!need to bring my niece or nephew for the extra luck! Thanks for the report!

Hi keada714

What's funny is I was headed to another spot, she kept asking to go to the secret beach.
She calls it that because of the entry way at the far end. Boy was she right !!
Thanks

That's what it's all about right there... priceless memories. :Big Grin:
Great job on the beautiful Hali and kudos for the release. :Thumbs Up:
Now go get yourself another one! :Wink:

Special moments indeed !

Thank you Wingnut

Chuck

Jaysuuun
05-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Congrats on the pb and nice read. Always cool to share the fishing moments with the little ones.

bones
05-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Awesome job on the flattie. Awesome job on the CPR......I love it when you show your kids that you have respect for such a rare catch and life in general. I bet she is real proud of her pops..... good times for sure.
Thanks for the report and setting a fine example!

murrieta angler
05-16-2012, 06:52 PM
I like the new avatar Chuck!

Newfishsmell
05-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Congrats on the pb and nice read. Always cool to share the fishing moments with the little ones.

Hey thanks Jaysuuun ... Fishing with the little one does bring a whole new level of excitement !

Awesome job on the flattie. Awesome job on the CPR......I love it when you show your kids that you have respect for such a rare catch and life in general.
I bet she is real proud of her pops..... good times for sure.

Thanks for the report and setting a fine example!

Hi bones and thanks for the kind words. Well said !

I like the new avatar Chuck!

Avatar, desktop background and my phones wallpaper . Ok Ok enough bragging already ... Lol

Thanks Robert