PDA

View Full Version : Millerton Lake...anyone?

aboos
08-20-2007, 09:30 PM
im going up to millerton lake labor day weekend to go wakeboarding/jet skiing with the family. im also bringing the boat and were camping on the lake. so since im up there, might as well try to fish in the morning while everyones sleeping. ive never fished there and have only been there once. millerton isnt even listed on the "norcal lakes" part so im just seeing if anyones fished there or have any info on it. anything would be great..thanks!

plumbertom
08-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Been years since I fished Millerton but we used to head upriver past what was at that time was a log jam and fish the river for stripers.

Cabodude
08-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Water is low, so you have to be really careful if you go up to the logjam. Best bet is to beach the boat as far up as you can and walk upriver from there. You can spot the big stripers cruising around. The best time is when they are releasing water from Redinger Lake which pushes food downstream. Also, use baits that resemble spotted bass because the stripers here love to eat spotted bass.

If you don't want to fish stripers, there are plenty of spotted bass to go around. I like shad raps and senkos in pearl with black flake. They work well in this lake.

Also, if you are camping by the water, try catfishing at night. Use some hot dogs, or chicken livers or whatever else you can find that is stinky. They get big in there! There have also been reports of huge sturgeon in this lake though nobody has caught one. They say it was in the river upstream of the dam before they built it many years ago.

aboos
08-21-2007, 10:14 AM
cabodude, plumbertom..thanks a lot! you dont know how much that helps!! im basically a trout, bass fisherman but just got into stripers. whats my better bet? stripers or bass?

Cabodude
08-23-2007, 08:21 AM
If you throw a shad rap, you'll get both spotted bass and an occasional striper. Spots are everywhere!

aboos
08-23-2007, 10:26 AM
If you throw a shad rap, you'll get both spotted bass and an occasional striper. Spots are everywhere!

nice, thanks man :D