PDA

View Full Version : Carbonex Drag Tester

Which Way Out
05-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Last Pic is PB SN, 50+"
After work Friday I went looking for some weed free water. A local spot had been getting clearer each day this week. Wasn't going to fish, but just doing some recon of the shore.
I was texting someone:Wink: and I knew if I didn't go down to the water and take 30 minutes to make a few cast I wouldn't be much of a fisherman.

Anyway I was only going to work 3 different spots and then head home and have dinner with my wife.

Well the weeds had all but disappeared, as when I retrieved, I had weeds on only every 3rd or 4th cast. Much better for a location known for being weedy.

The first 2 locations looked real good but nothing home,(YET). Moved up the line to a spot I have hit for the last 3 days after work.
This spot is GOING to have a something Big SOON. So perfect of a spot now that the weeds are thinning out. So I toss out a few times and hook up a nice little Skunk buster. Pic #1 Then followed up with another. Pic #2. Had to hurry getting her back in the water. Babies were starting to pop out after the photo.

Pic #1
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/perc.jpg
Pic #2
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/per.jpg

Then, just when I was thinking my 30 minute recon was should be over I hook up to the drag tester. The first run had me puzzled as it had no real head shakes or the tell tail Mr Wiggles tail slap. Took off to the right like a bullit. Lots of HUH going through my head. Could it be what I was looking for:Confused:. No not today. I was hoping to see some aerobatics, but it wasn't meant to be.
For the longest time I didn't know what it was. Not a Halibut that's for sure. Bat Ray maybe, but didn't act like one of those either. LEO? I was at this point thinking that's what it had to be. It was powerful and big. It pulled me back down the beach to the final location at least 100yds during an appox. 30+ min battle.

Well it turned out to be a PB SN for me.
Kinda rough not having a wing man with ya when trying to get one this big in your hand. I had to work it over 2 rock outcroppings or risk losing my week old LC. Got her close once and went to grab the tail, but it went crazy as soon as I grabbed it. The drag was set well, so no problem. Just had to go through the routine again of getting her close.
Finely got her in my hand and walked her back to my backpack I left on the beach. A 100+yds away:mad: Took the measurements the best I could by myself. The tape said 52" but I would be happy to say it was closer to 50" giving the fact I couldn't get a real good stretch on the tape and a photo by myself. These things don't like to hold still:LOL:.

I have to admit this fish had me sitting on the sand after the CPR. Emotional and Physically draining when you are by yourself with no one around to assist.
I think I will Post in the Classified section "Wingman Needed" or just catch smaller fish................ I Text back to my friend after, "I am Tired". LOL

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/SN-1.jpg

Wingnut
05-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the texts yesterday Bill... :Wink: See you and the rest of the Northern S.W.A.T. Crew tomorrow. :Secret:
Congrats, you are now on top of the S.W.A.T. Challenge Leader Board with that PB Shovelnose... in the "other" category of course. :LOL:
Hopefully, we'll get a few Flat Fish of the "right" kind tomorrow. :Envious:

We just welcomed a NEW member to the Brotherhood this morning... Challenge complete! :Big Grin:

efishent
05-12-2012, 11:03 AM
THose SNGF sure like to run along the shore. I'm glad you had a nice workout and a fun battle.
THanks for posting and lets hope the water will continue to warm and clear.

murrieta angler
05-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Nice looking SN Bill!
They are a kick to catch, definately not a slow mover, like a leo or ray...:Wink:
Wish I could make it tomorrow, but it's Mamas Day.
I think she wants to hit the beach...:Big Grin:
Have a Good One Bro & Good Luck Tomorrow!
Robert
<><

Which Way Out
05-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the texts yesterday Bill... :Wink: See you and the rest of the Northern S.W.A.T. Crew tomorrow. :Secret:
Congrats, you are now on top of the S.W.A.T. Challenge Leader Board with that PB Shovelnose... in the "other" category of course. :LOL:
Hopefully, we'll get a few Flat Fish of the "right" kind tomorrow. :Envious:

We just welcomed a NEW member to the Brotherhood this morning... Challenge complete! :Big Grin:

Recon done. Could be a Epic day EARLY in the morning. See ya on the Beach.
WWO

THose SNGF sure like to run along the shore. I'm glad you had a nice workout and a fun battle.
THanks for posting and lets hope the water will continue to warm and clear.
No kidding on the water. So far this week I have caught 2 SN, 2 Halibuts (1 short, 1 legal) and 3 BSP all on the same lure. The temp is finely here.
WWO

Nice looking SN Bill!
They are a kick to catch, definately not a slow mover, like a leo or ray...:Wink:
Wish I could make it tomorrow, but it's Mamas Day.
I think she wants to hit the beach...:Big Grin:
Have a Good One Bro & Good Luck Tomorrow!
Robert
<><
Robert, we will be thinking of you. The beach is the same sand no matter the miles of distance.
Should be at least Squad Strength on the beach Sunday. Who knows what will happen.
Thanks for any good luck you can send me in advance..
WWO

DockRat
05-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Great SNGF Battle. :Guns:

Newfishsmell
05-12-2012, 07:18 PM
WOW huge SNGF

Looks like the new drags get the job done !

Wtg ... WWO

Mr_Dunev
05-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Woah CRAAAAZY SNGF!!!!

I thought my 45" was close to as big as they got, but that one is a MONSTER! It's funny how once you grab the tail, they get their second wind and lose it! Lucky you didn't get a hook in your thumb like I did.
I know it has been slow up north, but it looks like things are picking up, and I am sure you will be on some NICE fish in no time. I am glad you are being persistent, and I wish you the best in your future fishing adventures.

And by the way, how much are you offering to pay your "wingman" Cause I'll do it for free :Big Grin:

P.S
Good luck tomorrow :Wink:

SP Dan
05-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Hey Which Way Out!

I really enjoy reading your fishing posts Bill....it had me sitting on the edge of my seat when it took off again after you attempted grab it by it's tail...WOW! :EyePop: A big fight and a big fish....congrat's on your 50"+ SNGF! Pound for pound....a strong fighting fish!

Give me a holler any time you feel that you need a wing man......"I've got your 6"brother :Thumbs Up:

Thanx for the fun read w/ pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Which Way Out
05-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Great SNGF Battle. :Guns:
Sure was.
12lb line on the same Palomar knot I tied last Sunday afternoon. Worried? You Bet!!!
Thanks DR
WWO

WOW huge SNGF

Looks like the new drags get the job done !

Wtg ... WWO
Well to be honest I only installed 1 new drag washer. The folks at Smoooooth Drag in Oak Hills CA. said my reel (a Revo Toro 60) had good drag washers to start with, but suggested changing the one below the main gear. So with that changed back in Feb. and the factory ones refreshed with Cal's Universal Reel and Drag Grease I have been hoping for a day like this one to give it a good work out. Smooooooth as Butter baby.
Thanks to Cal's and Smoooooooth Drag :Thumbs Up: Hollycow, Starting to sound like a NASCAR Driver...........

Woah CRAAAAZY SNGF!!!!

I thought my 45" was close to as big as they got, but that one is a MONSTER! It's funny how once you grab the tail, they get their second wind and lose it! Lucky you didn't get a hook in your thumb like I did.
I know it has been slow up north, but it looks like things are picking up, and I am sure you will be on some NICE fish in no time. I am glad you are being persistent, and I wish you the best in your future fishing adventures.

And by the way, how much are you offering to pay your "wingman" Cause I'll do it for free :Big Grin:

P.S
Good luck tomorrow :Wink:

Your not going all Top Gun on me are ya? eeeew!

Things are starting to pick up that's for sure. I hope we are able to add some more excitement to the forum after tomorrow.

Hey Which Way Out!

I really enjoy reading your fishing posts Bill....it had me sitting on the edge of my seat when it took off again after you attempted grab it by it's tail...WOW! :EyePop: A big fight and a big fish....congrat's on your 50"+ SNGF! Pound for pound....a strong fighting fish!

Give me a holler any time you feel that you need a wing man......"I've got your 6"brother :Thumbs Up:

Thanx for the fun read w/ pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><
Thanks Dan. I know all my brothers have my 6 as I have yours as well. eeeek more Top Gun movie lines.:Explode:

Stayed tuned. We have favorable water temps for a change. Northern SWAT is on the board and will continue to keep you on the edge of your seat. Tomorrow could be good. Speaking of that I need to hit the rack.
WWO

Badbeat
05-14-2012, 01:18 PM
That's a beast WWO. :EyePop: That is one strange looking fish. :Shocked:

bachiboy
05-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Helluva shovelhead there WWO! Nice work. I have yet to put my new Carbontex Drags to a real test, but they do feel 50 times better than the stock drags I had in my Curado...of course I did pretty much melt those when I got my leo a few weeks ago. :LOL: Flatfish of the right kind to come soon for you, I'm sure! Go get 'em man!!!!

Don