PDA

View Full Version : Santa Margarita 5/11/12

joejoe77
05-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Had the best day of fishing in my life today at Margarita. Got on the water a little after 7am, and the bite was on immediately. Started trying to work the topwater, saw some big ones jumping in the river. But I havent got my bait caster quite down yet; Big birdsnest. Switched to a drop shot (rigged just like Will's article) and bam, hit a big 4 lb+ that fought like crazy (biggest fish I’ve ever caught). A few minutes later my partner hits a nice 4+. Cruise down a little further and a felt a nibble, gave it a shake and bam again. This thing is trying to break my pole. 5 lb+ and a new biggest fish I’ve ever caught. All in all we caught 7 nice LMBs (best 5 were probably upward of 20 lbs.) before 10 am. The bite really slowed down after 10:30 am as it got really hot. Everything was caught on dropshot worms, and the fish were all released. And thanks again Will for turning me on to the dropshot it works like a charm.

Also wanted to give a thank you to the guy and his wife that helped me at the launch. I lost a bearing to my trailer and my wheel almost came off but a tourney guy and his wife (from the Castaic area) helped me out, he actually had a bearing that fit my trailer and we scored some grease from a maint guy working on the bathroom. Got me working and got my boat home. God was really looking out for me today. Thanks guys!
Id post pics but I don’t know how.
Joe

kingfish2
05-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Nice catches where is Santa Margarita at?

fishmounter
05-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Joe- I have been fishing there since 1970 and it is probably my favorite lake. Isn't that place a beautiful lake? We always camp right there at the lake and usually stay for 3-4 days in the late spring/early summer and do really good on topwater. Very cool about the bass you caught. Congrats!

joejoe77
05-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Kingfish, its about 20 miles north of San Luis Obispo on the central coast. Great little lake, no swiming or skiing. The only bass species is LMB. They have some real nice fish here. Yea the topwater was on this morning but I had some serious problems with my baitcaster and didnt get a chance to land one. I love this lake and out of the three we have here its becoming my favorite.

fishmounter
05-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Years ago there was lots of good sized Striped Bass that the CDFG stocked in there. Guess they must have died out. Also caught a few chunky Smallmouths, which I've heard about one being caught every now and then. The Black Crappie fishing can be really good in the early spring drifting small jigs out on the upper lake flats. Have you seethe white Buffalo yet? He may not still be alive.