PDA

View Full Version : TENKARAVASION @ the PUDD ...4 Species day .... ONE FLY MANY FISH

VIVID_FLY
05-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Another Friday at the PUDD…. Nice and cool with cloud cover in the morning had me going to ANT HOLE and fishing the tall banks for some elusive Blues and Reds. After casting to see what followed I hooked into this Full Bodied Blue gill. Just a small tap on my #16 hares ear being pulled slowly on the Tenkarausa 13’6” AMAGO fitted with 12lb (3.5) fluorocarbon level line terminated with 4lb izorline with 5x tippet tied to the fly.

The rod really voiced its opinion when this guy took off. Nothing like the singing of a Tenkara Rod in the morning on Glassy water conditions.

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y316/vivid_fly/DSCF2024.jpg

Met some other anglers and they managed to coax some nice ones on meal worms.

I headed over to Swim Beach area and found the micro Crappie alley. These guys are so aggressive during cloudy days. Walked around towards the Sewer Cover and saw this nice Crappie rise up and attack my fly. Nothing like seeing a Crappie take.

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y316/vivid_fly/DSCF2026.jpg

Worked the PIPES and still producing catches and now sunny conditions prevailed with increasing winds.

Walked all the way over to the high pier area and fish were still be attracted by the dark hare’s ear gliding through the stained waters of the PUDD.

Continued my walk to the shoreline cliffs and managed to find some Blues and persuaded more on the fly. The AMAGO was worthy of the pulls these fish brought.

Met up with Mike and Alice at Middle Pier. I worked my way over to the Submerged Table and pulled in another grouping of micro Crappies. Love the slight tapping bite of Crappie and a short set will get a few on the line.

Worked all the way back to the swim beach with Alice and got fish to surface and take most of the places we stopped.
Alice has a BASS story on the Chinese Tenkara Rod (stay tuned for her additional report)

We ended back to the Pipes and called it quits.

Fish Count of the day 4 species
Bluegill
Redear
LMB
Crappie

The Trout bite is dwindling down. Maybe when a cold spell approaches???

<’((((((><

Fishnfun
05-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Great report and pics as usual. I always loved the feel of hooking and fighting a fish on the fly rod/fly line. Much more direct feel when fighting and hand lining in a fish with the fly rod over using a spinning outfit. But, the tenkara seems to have them both beat for direct hand-to-hand fishing. No reel, just the rod and line. The slightest pull from a fish transmits directly to the tenkara rod and your hand. I've got to get me a rod.

The Fishing Queen
05-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Great report, VF! Very detailed with info and beautiful pictures. I'm so glad that I got the Tenkara rod from you. It's the right season and a great time to use it and I sure have a load of fun everyday fishing with it. Thanks!

Troutcz swimbait
05-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Nice color on that big gill,damm I miss the panfish bite already.

fishermanx14
05-12-2012, 07:49 PM
man i cant wait until i get out there...how long have you been fishing the pudd?

white belt
05-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Great looking gill there! Good job vivid.