PDA

View Full Version : Phenix boron rod

CraigH
05-11-2012, 07:22 AM
Got a few rods from a guy who doesn't fish anymore. One is a Phenix rod, marked:

Phenix TR1 Boron 65-M2 3/8-1oz 8-17lb Made in USA

I searched for boron rods, and saw that it was being used in high quality rods back in the 1990's, but never caught on.

Anyone ever use boron rods? I don't usually bass fish so I'm trying to figure out what to use this rod for.

Should have mentioned it's a trigger grip casting rod.

metanium
05-11-2012, 12:59 PM
phenix made awesome rods back in the day, they were ahead of technology with incorporating boron into their bass line up. boron is much lighter than graphite and more sensitve in stiffness to weight ratio. the main problem with boron was trying to mesh the raw resin material with epoxy. it was a very difficult process not to mention quite expensive for the material alone. Most manufacturers just ended dropping the use of boron all together. that particular rod made a good worm and light jig rod. they are hard to come by nowadays. i would hold on to that rod if i were you. I still wish i had kept some of those particular blanks as they are impossible to trace. good luck that is quite a lucky find.