PDA

View Full Version : Twin Lakes 5/4 and 5/5

The Rookie
05-09-2012, 09:37 PM
I hit up Twin Lakes with 3 buddies from shore on Friday and on a boat on Saturday. On Friday the lakes were windy, chilly and choppy, so we decided to stay on shore I got the skunk but all of my friends caught at least 2 a piece. 1 small brown (released) and a fat 1.5-2 lb rainbow, and several small stockers. We ate a few for dinner including the big guy which had nice orange/pink meat. On Saturday the trout gods smiled upon us and the lake was glassy and the wind was mild. We slayed it all day in different spots. The photos are of our two biggest fish, it was tough to tell which was bigger but, we were stoked and had a great day of fishing.

I tried bouyants, panther martins, a some other lures and trout tubes but got nada. PB was the go to bait, but I heard from others that just about everything was working. At the clean out there were some :EyePop: stringers....

We also hit up Bridgeport Reservoir from shore- cold, murky and weedy-no bueno and the Stream flowing out of Lower Twin-no dice.

Thanks for Reading
The Rookie

Matt44
05-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Twins are great lakes glad u got on fish! The reservoir is def a boat lake but can be good at times from the shore nothing beats bridgeport for brownies!

RiverWalker
05-10-2012, 11:35 AM
I agree. Twin Lakes in Bridgeport is nice fishery! Especially because in addition to the regular Alper and DFG plants, they raise their own trophy sized fish to supplement the regular stockings. They pen off a section of upper Robinson creek above Upper Twin and they raiser some brutes! I came across it one day while hiking around. It's above the camp ground and kind of hidden. 2 or 3 pens were filled while 2 to 5 pound Browns and bows. I'm actually surpised you didn't do well while fishing the lower Robinson creek (creek that flows out of lower twins). I always do well of there. Some nice sized fish in there too! You just got to cover some ground though. Thanks for the report.

SierraPeaks
05-10-2012, 11:59 AM
The big holdovers haven't come out to join the party yet. In 2 - 3 weeks...it's gonna bust loose.

flytyingreloader
05-10-2012, 05:11 PM
I pushed back a trip I planned for this week into next week, and Twin Lakes is going to be my first stop. Ya think things will wait longer than that? It seems like Spring/Summer is 6 weeks ahead of schedule this year--all three of the big Sierra pass highways (120, 108, and 89) show OPEN on the signboard just up 395 from Ridgecrest.

GdHkSet1
05-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Right on man, looks like good times. I look forward to our annual "bros-only" trip - we have yet to try the Bridgeport area, sounds like alot of fun up there. Thanks for the pics.

SierraPeaks
05-11-2012, 12:18 PM
I pushed back a trip I planned for this week into next week, and Twin Lakes is going to be my first stop. Ya think things will wait longer than that? It seems like Spring/Summer is 6 weeks ahead of schedule this year--all three of the big Sierra pass highways (120, 108, and 89) show OPEN on the signboard just up 395 from Ridgecrest.

It'll get better with each passing week. But it's going to peak from around the 3rd week of May and probably through most of June. I planned a week-long trip on what I believe is going to be the red-hot zone from June 17th to June 24th. It's an educated guess from 40 years fishing the Sierras and keeping track of patterns in conjunction with how the winter was, and I've been way off before. But generally it's about 70 % or so correct. Good luck on your trip. Go get 'em.

flytyingreloader
05-11-2012, 01:25 PM
You KNOW what this means, don't you? Next week's trip, AND a mid-June trip as well.

Despicable. :-)

SierraPeaks
05-11-2012, 05:00 PM
You KNOW what this means, don't you? Next week's trip, AND a mid-June trip as well.

Despicable. :-)

They don't call it June Lake for nothin' :)

Mike274
05-12-2012, 02:17 AM
Nice catches boys. Sierra Peaks is right on with his prediction. Last couple of years were a bit slow (for sierra standards anyway) due to excessive snow pack and cold water. When the water warms up this season is should jump off big time! This years winter catches will attest to that. There have already been some huge bug hatches already and we're still in the cool water stages.

FadedOne
05-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Nice picture of the glass. Every time I am there it seems to be windy as all hell.