PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with Elizabeth lake in Palmdale CA?

BlkManFishin
05-09-2012, 05:43 PM
I notice that everytime I used to ask about Elizabeth Lake I would get a lot of ppl with negitive comments about the lake. And I think Im learning why. Its fairly close to my house so It became the lake I go to the most. But for at least the last 4 weeks the fish have been dying off. I went to see how the lake looked this weekend and the fish were still dying and I noticed these oily bubbles coming up in this one shallow area.. Whats going on??

By the way I saw a pretty big dead Bass washed up on the shore.

bassfishing24/7
05-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Sad story man that sux :Sad:

PilgrimDG
05-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Haven't been there for a few weeks, but I didn't notice any dead fish. I heard the crappie are hitting pretty good. What other species are dying?

BlkManFishin
05-10-2012, 08:07 PM
I havent seen many dead crappie, lots of cats, that one bass, and a few trout. The dead crappies prob got ate by the birds. Its really sad cuz it could be such a great lake.

HBAR
05-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Said it before (probably a few times) buddy and I went there years ago, his humminbird 4ID (that should give you an idea of how long ago it was) started going nuts, we backed up and I looked down to see a 55 gallon drum with a radiation sticker on it, buddy manovered his coleman crawdad around so he could get a look. after that we packed up and got out of there and never went back.

tpfishnfool
05-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Its a Slag Pond. No inlet or outlet. Spring fed by Cesspools and rain. Used to be a great place to fish for bass, trout, crappie and cats, but its has gone down hill for the past 10 years. Sad.....

BlkManFishin
05-11-2012, 01:33 PM
@HBAR ive seen you post that before.. Its hard to belive that would be true but who knows, all I do know is that it will be a long while before I go back to that Lake

tpfishnfool
01-24-2014, 08:40 AM
Drove past the lake this morning. You can walk across the lake . Its all but done. We need rain BAD !!

HBAR
01-24-2014, 09:36 AM
@HBAR ive seen you post that before.. Its hard to belive that would be true but who knows, all I do know is that it will be a long while before I go back to that Lake

Well back in 1988 we didn't have all the cool tech toys we have now to take pics with, if so I would have taken a picture and posted it (now) so everyone can't say BS.

DangerFishin
01-31-2014, 08:53 PM
Well back in 1988 we didn't have all the cool tech toys we have now to take pics with, if so I would have taken a picture and posted it (now) so everyone can't say BS.

My Gramps said WAAY back in the day when there was some sort of dam splitting ranch club from the rest of the lake, some kind of floods where coming and blabla his dad had the dam destroyed or something and blablabla anyways, his dad used to see people with hazmat suits that he thought where from the government testing the water, my gramps himself has seen the same type of barrels with radioactive stickers in the lake on the east end, he also used to catch many LMB here that where deformed and he said he caught a few with extra fins and extra eyes.... im not bsing either, true story, ive tried fishing here twice with no luck, I drive by frequently the lake is almost dried up, smells disgusting, also have heard storys of septic tanks being dumped into the lake.... its nasty.... but the fishing USED to be good from what I hear...not anymore...other then the crappie willie at amaysing fishing always catches up there until it started to dry up... owell... such a shame... theres no really good FREE fishing lakes around the AV.... fin n feather is good but its a membership lake... Apollo pretty much blows 95% of the time, Elizabeth is dead... aquaduct is super slow out here... hell even Hesperia lake which is about an hour away isn't doing good.... closest decent place is brites in Tehachapi... other then that its roadtrip time to Castaic pyramid piru or anywhere else but here.... I wish I could buy Apollo or Elizabeth and make them fishing heaven haha... #savefishingintheav

ZipperWurm
02-07-2014, 09:28 AM
My Gramps said WAAY back in the day when there was some sort of dam splitting ranch club from the rest of the lake, some kind of floods where coming and blabla his dad had the dam destroyed or something and blablabla anyways, his dad used to see people with hazmat suits that he thought where from the government testing the water, my gramps himself has seen the same type of barrels with radioactive stickers in the lake on the east end, he also used to catch many LMB here that where deformed and he said he caught a few with extra fins and extra eyes.... im not bsing either, true story, ive tried fishing here twice with no luck, I drive by frequently the lake is almost dried up, smells disgusting, also have heard storys of septic tanks being dumped into the lake.... its nasty.... but the fishing USED to be good from what I hear...not anymore...other then the crappie willie at amaysing fishing always catches up there until it started to dry up... owell... such a shame... theres no really good FREE fishing lakes around the AV.... fin n feather is good but its a membership lake... Apollo pretty much blows 95% of the time, Elizabeth is dead... aquaduct is super slow out here... hell even Hesperia lake which is about an hour away isn't doing good.... closest decent place is brites in Tehachapi... other then that its roadtrip time to Castaic pyramid piru or anywhere else but here.... I wish I could buy Apollo or Elizabeth and make them fishing heaven haha... #savefishingintheav

what kind of fish are even in apollo park? do they stock it with trout? it's literally like 2 miles from where i live and i've never even bothered fishing it, lol. fished elizabeth once last year and caught some dink crappie, but it's a cess pool. the aqueduct out here is the only place i've found decent enough to spend my time at (unless i had a f&f membership).

DangerFishin
02-11-2014, 12:06 PM
what kind of fish are even in apollo park? do they stock it with trout? it's literally like 2 miles from where i live and i've never even bothered fishing it, lol. fished elizabeth once last year and caught some dink crappie, but it's a cess pool. the aqueduct out here is the only place i've found decent enough to spend my time at (unless i had a f&f membership).

theres some pretty monster catfish in there, if you can find them, its about as good as catfishing the duct, maybe one or two every few times u go.

They stock with rainbows but if you walk around the lake you will see them swimming right near the shore dieing, people go around with open hooks foul hooking them or even just netting them, you can usually catch for a couple three days right after they stock it, and there has been DD trout caught but that's maybe once in a lifetime, usually before a tournament they stock a huge amount and throw in some big ones but they disappear into the void of death pretty quickly, haven't been in a couple weeks so cant give any current info, Also, HUGE carp in this lake, was in willies baitshop a week ago he had a 18lb carp from Apollo, never tried fishing them though,

ZipperWurm
02-11-2014, 03:24 PM
theres some pretty monster catfish in there, if you can find them, its about as good as catfishing the duct, maybe one or two every few times u go.

They stock with rainbows but if you walk around the lake you will see them swimming right near the shore dieing, people go around with open hooks foul hooking them or even just netting them, you can usually catch for a couple three days right after they stock it, and there has been DD trout caught but that's maybe once in a lifetime, usually before a tournament they stock a huge amount and throw in some big ones but they disappear into the void of death pretty quickly, haven't been in a couple weeks so cant give any current info, Also, HUGE carp in this lake, was in willies baitshop a week ago he had a 18lb carp from Apollo, never tried fishing them though,

i might have to go over there one of these days and check it out....you can go anytime during the day? i imagine it closes at night?

Purerock Racing
05-02-2014, 03:28 PM
I grew up going on vacations up to Lake Hughes and also Lake Elizabeth as well back in the day when they even allowed water skiing... been fishing at Lake Elizabeth quite a bit since you can't even get to the shoreline at Hughes anymore...anyhow I never saw no 55 gal. drums in there and I've seen the lake go dry more then a handful of times... steel drums just don't vanish when the water gets low. I'm not calling BS on what anybody has said above but alls I'm sayin is I've been there a lot for many years and I've seen nothing. Something radioactive in a lake is a major deal, I'm sure if the press would of heard about it, it would of been all over the news. Anyhow, last time I was there April last year I think, still cold weather, the water was super low already and it was neon green. Didn't get a bite all day cept for a frog! What's really sad is that our LA County Stupidvisor Mike Antovich hasn't stepped in with assistance to fix this problem at least for all the people who live in the lake's community.

fishfinder
05-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Said it before (probably a few times) buddy and I went there years ago, his humminbird 4ID (that should give you an idea of how long ago it was) started going nuts, we backed up and I looked down to see a 55 gallon drum with a radiation sticker on it, buddy manovered his coleman crawdad around so he could get a look. after that we packed up and got out of there and never went back.

The locals put that there to keep every one else out.

mrg85
05-05-2014, 04:51 PM
i might have to go over there one of these days and check it out....you can go anytime during the day? i imagine it closes at night?

I heard there was a fish kill there last year? Can anyone verify this? From what I've seen its a put and take stocked trout and catfish lake. I have seen some decent sized bass swimming the shallows though.

tpfishnfool
05-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Natural fish kill last year due to lack of oxegen. RIP lake elizabeth

keepemlo
05-08-2014, 01:47 PM
fished it last two years..drink crappie as was stated.there was a fire there last year a lot of ash inthe water..high alkalinity.lack of oxygen..as the water went down huge fish kills..haven't been back