PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing?

fishermanx14
05-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Hey guys i recently got intrested in fly fishing for panfish after seeing many reports from Vivid-fly and Fishing queen i decided to give it a try....i think im going to go pick up a starter fly fishing kit from bass pro or wally world. I tried to watch a coupple vidoes which helped me learn the knots but i am still confused in the order stuff goes in. Is it backing,fly line,leader, then tipet, then fly? Is the backing that the bright colored line you see when guys are fishing or is that the fly line? How long should the fly line,leader, and tippet be? Also ill proably be fishing at the pudd and was wondering what kind of flies i should pick up for crappie and bluegill? And is this picture right?

VIVID_FLY
05-08-2012, 10:34 PM
thats the basic idea....the diagram.... but i doubt if you will ever get to the backing at the PUDD unless you hook into a CARP.... when are you going to the PUDD .. i fish there everyday during the week usually 8am - 1300 hours ... look for us ... the hot fly now seems to be bead head hare's ear #14 #16 and even down to #18... either dark or light color versions. i actually fished a dark hare's ear #18 on friday .. and got 5 species ...on the same fly....

if you buy a rod ... go to sportmart or sports authority ... definitely get a 5 wt 9' rod. A slower action rod will be better also. Fly line usually is 30M (90 foot).. get 5wt WF floating (weight forward) .... then buy spool of 5x and 6x tippet .... just buy mono ...fluoro is much more expensive. you can buy a knotless tapered leader .... look for 5x maybe 7 - 9 foot length.

hope this helps some ...

<'(((((><

fishermanx14
05-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks it helped alot. Where can i get that type of flie and what brand makes the best quality fly? and how long sould the fly line be? I usually dont fish the pudd on week days but i do on weekends because i have school. When i retrive the fly should it be fast or slow? Does this type of fly float or sink?

HighSierratrout
05-09-2012, 10:22 PM
The best advice I can give you is to go on youtube and check out some of the instructional videos. Orvis has some great ones called Ask a Fly-Fishing Instructor. They go over every aspect of fly fishing you could imagine and is where I learned a lot. There's also some videos by Mel Krieger, and older guy that passed away. They are great videos and he does a good job of breaking all the different casts and techniques down. Then get the rig and practice in a grass area at a park or your house if you have lots of space. There's just something about catching fish on the fly that beats using a spinning set and basically hooking them as you pass the lure by, or sitting around waiting for them to eat your mush on a hook. I just got a tenkara pole and believe I might have to retire my fly pole and reel, especially the reel.

Fly fishing is a blast, watching the fish rise and take the fly. pretty cool stuff.

TonyLisa
05-09-2012, 10:32 PM
oh man pudd is a great place to start fly fishing me and my girl have been flyfishing it the past whole month atleast 3 times a week and we been catching good amounts of everything look for us and say whats up ill show you my go to flies

DarkShadow
05-10-2012, 09:28 AM
... definitely get a 5 wt 9' rod. A slower action rod will be better also. Fly line usually is 30M (90 foot).. get 5wt WF floating (weight forward) ....

That's sound advice, especially if you're going to be frequenting 'still' water.

Vivid, when I got into fly fishing a whopping 5 months ago, that was my first set up, except I went with a 4 weight, since I found the 5 weight to be a bit over kill, since the majority of my fishing would be done in stream settings.

A few weeks later, my next set up was a 7'6", 3 weight, which i find to be a perfect match for the small streams. The 9' only gets broken out at Hot Creek, East Walker, or other rivers where the canopy is not low.

That is one thing I wish I would've really taken into consideration when purchasing my first combo, but if someone plans on fishing lakes and not streams, the 9', 5 wt would be a perfect fit.

Carptain_Bao
05-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Just asking,I got a 9'6 bps micro lite float n fly rod as a gift,do u guys think that rod will be good for fly fishing?
Thanks!

Bao

fishermanx14
05-10-2012, 10:18 AM
thanks will do

fishermanx14
05-10-2012, 10:19 AM
That's sound advice, especially if you're going to be frequenting 'still' water.

Vivid, when I got into fly fishing a whopping 5 months ago, that was my first set up, except I went with a 4 weight, since I found the 5 weight to be a bit over kill, since the majority of my fishing would be done in stream settings.

A few weeks later, my next set up was a 7'6", 3 weight, which i find to be a perfect match for the small streams. The 9' only gets broken out at Hot Creek, East Walker, or other rivers where the canopy is not low.

That is one thing I wish I would've really taken into consideration when purchasing my first combo, but if someone plans on fishing lakes and not streams, the 9', 5 wt would be a perfect fit.

sorry for asking what does 5wt mean? weight? kinda like the action of the rod?

DarkShadow
05-10-2012, 10:57 AM
sorry for asking what does 5wt mean? weight? kinda like the action of the rod?

I'm not Lefty Kreh, but here goes...

The 5 wt is synonymous to like, "pound test" when you're fishing conventional gear. So, 2 pound test is light, 40 pound test is heavy. A 00 wt fly rod is ultralight. A 12 wt rod is pretty heavy.

Rod ACTION is how the rod bends, so it's the "Slow, Medium, Medium Fast, Fast, Extra Fast" description.

I've found that "slower" action fly rods (those that bend near the grip, rather than being stiff) are easier on the beginner, because you can feel when the rod loads up and the timing of your back casts and false casts becomes easier.

So the number weight is how light or heavy the rod is for the application, and rod action is how it bends. As I said, my 7'6" Echo Carbon is a 'medium' action, 3 weight rod that works wonders in small streams for the tough fighting natives.

Skyler
05-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Instead of pound test, think of WT as the actual weight of the line you are casting. In terms of standard rods, think of it more as the lure weight rating that the line weight rating. Therefore, a 5 wt will be stiffer to handle a heavier weight line than a 3 wt of the same length. Now action is another story. A moderate action will be more parabolic and load up easier. Good for long double haul casts. A faster action focused toward the tip will be stiffer and better for steeple and rolls casts in tight quarters where precision is needed.

DarkShadow
05-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Instead of pound test, think of WT as the actual weight of the line you are casting. In terms of standard rods, think of it more as the lure weight rating that the line weight rating. Therefore, a 5 wt will be stiffer to handle a heavier weight line than a 3 wt of the same length. Now action is another story. A moderate action will be more parabolic and load up easier. Good for long double haul casts. A faster action focused toward the tip will be stiffer and better for steeple and rolls casts in tight quarters where precision is needed.

Better listen to him. He's in premed.

http://www.barewalls.com/i/c/471625_Animal-House--John-Belushi.jpg

Skyler
05-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Better listen to him. He's in premed.

http://www.barewalls.com/i/c/471625_Animal-House--John-Belushi.jpg

http://pichars.org/store/6185_original_tumblr_lrz4biBNMk1qh1j0co1_500.jpg

fishermanx14
05-10-2012, 08:24 PM
classic hahaha

elevated
05-10-2012, 11:38 PM
i dunno if someone said this already but skip the leader and tippet for now while you are learning. that ish get's expensive, just buy a spool of some 2lb flurocarbon, or pline. then tie about 4-6 feet of it directly to your fly line and use this. i say this because you will snap off a lot of leader flies tippet in the beginning.

elevated
05-10-2012, 11:45 PM
hey man I want to check out the pudd for some pan fish too, shoot me a pm if you want to meet up and feed some flies to fish

TonyLisa
05-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Tie a piece of 8-10 pd line about 2 arms length to the fly line and then tie a smaller line from 2-6 about the same length works great

Mike274
05-12-2012, 01:38 AM
Go to Bob Marriott's fly shop. It's basically on Orangethorp just east of Magnolia (across from the Harley shop). They can and will get you all the stuff you need and tell you how to use it. The will even load up the line on your spools even if you didn't buy the stuff there. All good guys there.