PDA

View Full Version : Lake Gregory browns?

SlayinRainbows
05-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Hi guys. I'm hittin up lake Gregory on Sunday and was wondering how plentiful the browns are there?? I've never caught one and that's my goal. Any advice on good spots or whatever else would be appreciated!

white belt
05-08-2012, 07:59 PM
They are definitely in there. They seem to love old powerbait. That's what all the old timers say. I've seen them hitting a drop shot trout worm in chart. Good luck to you!

fishfnatic
05-08-2012, 08:09 PM
They are definitely in there. They seem to love old powerbait. That's what all the old timers say. I've seen them hitting a drop shot trout worm in chart. Good luck to you!

The drop shot is definitely the ticket. If the dropshot isn't working try kastmasters. They are much more predatory then rainbows. PB can catch them but rarely. Find the right color and spot and it goes wide open. They like heavy cover. My brothers and I caught 40+ browns last Friday. Please if you can, CPR they are there for a reason. But it is your right to take if you feel the need. Only 1 was caught on pb and that was on the retrieve and it got lip hooked by a treble.

Frequent Flyer
05-08-2012, 09:10 PM
they're in there look for cover or troll around if you're in a boat. try dropshot, wooly buggers, metal, and even small rapalas. cpr please so they can eat some of those stunted crappie in there! and good luck

SlayinRainbows
05-08-2012, 10:00 PM
No no, I will be doing c&r. Thanks for letting me know all this. Actuallly dropshotting power worms is my favorite way to fish for trout so that's perfect!

white belt
05-08-2012, 10:04 PM
No no, I will be doing c&r. Thanks for letting me know all this. Actuallly dropshotting power worms is my favorite way to fish for trout so that's perfect!

The ball park is a good spot. I think the south side in general will produce.

SlayinRainbows
05-09-2012, 06:28 PM
I usually have luck with rainbows no more than 8-12" off the bottom
(cause its been so damn hot) are browns similar in stayin that deep or do they surface feed more in the warmer temp? If they're more predatory than the rainbows then maybe I'll jig a mice tail, that oughta entice em!

fishfnatic
05-09-2012, 07:36 PM
I was getting them in 14' of water 8"-12" from the bottom.

white belt
05-09-2012, 09:04 PM
I think the browns like the cold. I caught my first jigging a chart and orange mice tail ;)

SlayinRainbows
05-10-2012, 09:23 AM
When you jig those with the drop shot how long of a leader do you use? I'm guessing 18-24" just to keep it outta site of the drop shot right?

Skyler
05-10-2012, 10:13 AM
cpr please so they can eat some of those stunted crappie in there!

That is exactly why DFG put 'em in there. BTW, it them took twice as long to raise those browns to that size. If you C&R, they will get massive.

white belt
05-10-2012, 10:50 AM
When you jig those with the drop shot how long of a leader do you use? I'm guessing 18-24" just to keep it outta site of the drop shot right?

18" or even a bit shorter.

IncredibleHuck
05-10-2012, 03:05 PM
That is exactly why DFG put 'em in there. BTW, it them took twice as long to raise those browns to that size. If you C&R, they will get massive.

Yep! Could be a great Brown Trout fishery!

TTT
05-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Hi guys. I'm hittin up lake Gregory on Sunday and was wondering how plentiful the browns are there?? I've never caught one and that's my goal. Any advice on good spots or whatever else would be appreciated!

did they stock lately with browns. or are they from the brown trout stocking back in the 90'S ??

SlayinRainbows
05-10-2012, 04:22 PM
They stocked on May 5th

Skyler
05-10-2012, 04:51 PM
did they stock lately with browns. or are they from the brown trout stocking back in the 90'S ??

This is a new crop, that the mojave hatchery have been raising for the last two years. They are being stocked for the sole purpose of crappie killing. Think of them as an elite commando unit lol.

CraigH
05-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Didn't get a chance to post a report due to a busy weekend, but I was there last Friday afternoon and the stocked browns like powerbait. Fished the ball park for three hours in the afternoon and caught one rainbow on a rooster tail and three browns on powerbait. Fished kastmasters and rooster tails the whole time. There was a wind blowing from the north so I couldn't throw any mini-jigs.

The only other guys fishing the ball park had 7 or 8 trout on their stringer, but I didn't see what type.

SlayinRainbows
05-11-2012, 02:44 PM
That's great guys thank you very much.

Frequent Flyer
05-11-2012, 03:47 PM
If you C&R, they will get massive.

imagine going there to throw giant plugs for browns instead of the sierras!

Skyler
05-12-2012, 08:51 PM
You get the picture, he he he. I'd rather catch a 20"+ brown on a jerkbait than a 10" stocker rainbow on Powerbait. I'm sure most people would agree. Everybody just needs to exercise some self control and it can become a reality. Not to mention we'll get decent crappie fishery with sizable fish as well.