PDA

View Full Version : First Fish On The Surf!

keada714
05-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Hey Guys!

It has been an awful long time since I’ve gone fishing, yet alone post a fishing report. With all of the encouraging report lately, I thought I’ll make the extra effort to hit the beach and really give surf fishing a try!! Report doesn't hold any photots, didn't get a chance to snap anything..

April 30th
I had plans to take out the 18 footer with the girlfriend to get some fresh air and perhaps fish a bit. However, my pops had different plans!! Ended up heading to long beach really sour (worked all weekend to get it ready for the water!).

Got to the water around 1pm and the swells were big. 10 minutes into hurdling over the waves, a wave knocks me straight into the water! Boy was it cold! To make matter worse, the Sahara was filled with sand (good thing I left the phone in the car!). Determined to catch something, I headed over to the harbor side for calm waters. After 30 minutes of throwing the LC in Aurora Black, I managed to get hooked up. Didn’t think I would catch a thing there! At first I thought it was some weeds until I felt the infamous head shake! This fish sure felt like it could be my first legal!! So at this point I was very excited and couldn’t wait to land the darn thing! It finally came in and to my disappointment it taped out around 20 inches. Shucks, better luck next time I guess. Continue to fish for another hour before calling it a day.

CINCO DE MAYO
Headed to Signal Hill with the gf to check out an engine for the e30. Thought it would be a great ideal to bring the equipment just in case she wanted to do some fishing. More like I wanted to fish and hoped she did too! She took the bait and we were on the water by 2pm! Fished the same spot as last week. I was throwing the LC while she tied on a Kroc spoon.

After an hour without a bite, we swap outfits. 5 cast into the switch I get hit by a little pancake on the Kroc. Feeling a little more confident now I threw the Kroc out again. On the slow retrieve I get hit hard! Set the hook and immediately felt the head shakes! Each time I get the fish close it would dart off into the deep. It finally comes close enough for a good luck. From the looks of it, it well over being legal! As I called my girlfriend over, the unthinkable happens........... it was a YELLOW TAIL!!!! HAHAHA!! JUST KIDDDDDDINGGG!!! :LOL::LOL:

But really....... The unthinkable happens!!!!! It unbutton and headed straight toward the deep! I stood there in disbelieve, felt so teased!! Shook it off and continue tossing the Kroc with high hopes. At this point, I realized my girlfriend is fired up and working the beach hard. We fished hard for another hour and a half without any love so we called it a day. I felt so bad that she didn’t get any action. So I opted to take her out in search of our never ending mission to find the best fish and chip in socal. We ended up at England Fish and Chip to see why they have been in business since the 70's..

Thanks for reading my post! I know it’s a bit long without any photos but I was really excited and wanted to share my first good experience on the surf! I’ll have photos next time for sure!

Regards!
Mark

Wingnut
05-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Congrats on your first surf fish... I'm sure there will plenty more to come. :Big Grin:
Too bad you didn't land that Big Hali, that would've topped off the report big time. :Envious:

SP Dan
05-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Hi ya keada714!

Congratulations on your first Hali from the surf! :Thumbs Up:

I really enjoy the head shaking fight that a hali will always put up!
It always brings me back for more of the same! :Big Grin:

I sure do wish you could have landed the LARGE Hali that got away!
Just think......you get another chance at it! :Wink: Good luck out there soldier!

I'm looking forward to reading your next fishing report with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

flyngby
05-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Pulling a "Flattie of the Right Kind" for your first should keep you going back. If not there is always the 1 that gave you the headache :Head Bang: to get u back!!!!

Steve http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/BleedingMac.jpg

murrieta angler
05-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Fishing with your girl, catching a butt on your first outing and then some good ol fish & chips.....priceless!!
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><