PDA

View Full Version : Fishing day at a lake in California. Where can i go?

rmottino
05-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Hello, my name is Roman. I'm from Argentina and i love fishing.
First of all, my english is poor, sorry about that. I hope i can explain myself.

I will be traveling in January 2013 all arround the west coast by car, from San Diego to Los Angeles, Grand Canyon NP, Canyonlands NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Las Vegas, Death Valley NP, Sequoia NP, Yosemite NP and San Francisco.
As a fishing enthusiast i would like to spend a fishing day (or two) at a nice, natural lake.

I intend to rent a paddle boat or a small tracker ( i don't know the options i have ) to find a good spot and spend the day fishing. Shore fishing is also welcome.

I don't want to take a fishing trip or guided tour, just go to a lake, fish, grab a bite and spend a great outdoor day. I don't care the size of the fish (of course biggers are welcome) just to enjoy catching some in a quiet and natural place.

Ok, this is getting long.
The question is, what lake do you suggest? Considering it will be winter. A lake with a place to rent a boat and equipment will be great.
Any suggestion or opinion on my idea is very welcome.

Thanks you very much!
Roman

PilgrimDG
05-08-2012, 12:05 PM
On your way from Death Valley to Sequoia you should stop and fish the waters near Bishop, California. It is one of the primary trout fishing destinations in So Cal. I'd recommend Sabrina (I think they rent boats).

Oops you said January! Nevermind Bishop.

rmottino
05-08-2012, 12:34 PM
On your way from Death Valley to Sequoia you should stop and fish the waters near Bishop, California. It is one of the primary trout fishing destinations in So Cal. I'd recommend Sabrina (I think they rent boats).

Thanks for your answer PilgrimDG! Bishop it's a little off my route, but it's the only suggestion for now.

ityperx
05-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Starting from SD. Hmm, I've only fished there a couple of times but your best bet is to hit the surf. Either fish mission bay for pancakes, skates, sharks and bass or black beach area. City parks, I recommend Santee lake, great spot to just relax and with multiple ponds it'll be a workout. Dixon and Hodges lakes would be great for spring/summer not sure about winter. Heading north to LA, another place to stop and fish maybe would be oceanside(if you like saltwater fishing). Depending on how long you stay in LA, you can try to hit up castaic(upper & lower), pyramid, and piru. As you're heading out of LA and going towards Sequoia and Death Valley regions stop by one of the many creeks that leads in and out of isabella lake. Yosemite area has too many areas to cover but since it's winter you won't be able to go from hwy 120 tioga pass since its closed. In fact, you won't be able to fish any where pass crowley lake(i think so, im not certain) or is it upper owens. Anywho, off to frisco, I usually fish behind Nantucket restaurant near hwy 180, below Carquinez Bridge. It actually north of Berkeley, in the city of Crockett. Fished for salmon there, never catch any but worth a try. Leaving California, towards the east, your first stop would be lake mead, Colorado river, then lake havasu. That's all the places i've been fishing. Good luck fishing and enjoy your trip out here.

rmottino
05-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks ityperx! Lot's a places to visit... lake isabella, lake mead and lake havasu are all in my route.
I will be 6 days in LA and 6 in SF so i have time to hit spots near this great cities.

Maybe some local on any of those lakes from the forums can point me some info on boat rental or good shore spots to try. Equipment used and baits.

5150fishn
05-08-2012, 06:58 PM
It wouldn't be a bad choice to hit Irvine lake during the winter. Very scenic and great trout fishing. A plus is that it is a private lake so no fishing liceanse is required. They rent both boats and fishing poles. If you go this route there are plenty of regulars like myself that would be more than willing to help you out. But there are plenty of great lakes to fish at while in the area.

fishfinder
05-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Thanks ityperx! Lot's a places to visit... lake isabella, lake mead and lake havasu are all in my route.
I will be 6 days in LA and 6 in SF so i have time to hit spots near this great cities.

Maybe some local on any of those lakes from the forums can point me some info on boat rental or good shore spots to try. Equipment used and baits.

you mentioned you would like to fish in a natural lake. none of these are natural. in fact you wont to many natural lake in souther ca. but jackson lake in the mountain by wrightwood is natural, and they have some small trout in them.

fishermanx14
05-08-2012, 07:30 PM
go to big bear lake

Carptain_Bao
05-08-2012, 07:34 PM
How about diamond valley lake?

rmottino
05-09-2012, 06:15 AM
It wouldn't be a bad choice to hit Irvine lake during the winter. Very scenic and great trout fishing. A plus is that it is a private lake so no fishing liceanse is required. They rent both boats and fishing poles. If you go this route there are plenty of regulars like myself that would be more than willing to help you out. But there are plenty of great lakes to fish at while in the area.

Thanks to you all! Great info... since i got your answers i have been doing some research of this lakes.
For now i have selected these ones, there is a long way until january but i like to plan ahead.
Irvine Lake seems nice, near LA, boat & rig rental.
Big Bear Lake looks like an excellent place too, scenic snowy mountains, boat and rig rental, big lake and lots of amenities.
Diamond Valley Lake another big lake with all the stuff i need.

5150fishn thank for the help offer, will be much appreciated.
I'm still unsure if renting a boat is worth the money to fish... or i have the same chances from the shore?
What permits/licenses i need to fish? and to rent a boat? Since i will be doing it 1 or 2 days i don't want to spend a lot.

Thanks!

CraigH
05-09-2012, 07:20 AM
If you fish in most lakes or the ocean, you will need a one day ($15) or two day ($22) license. This includes Big Bear Lake and Diamond Valley. As 5150 already mentioned, Irvine Lake is private and doesn't require a fishing license.

Big Bear Lake is high up in the mountains, and it will be cold in January. The lake could be iced over, and any boat rental places will be closed. Most people don't start fishing Big Bear until March (depending on the weather).

5150fishn
05-09-2012, 09:23 AM
In the winter during trout season there are plenty of trout to be caught from shore at Irvine Lake so renting a boat and adding to your expenses is not necessary. Shore fishing is often very good. Unless you want to go out and troll you will be fine from shore.
When it gets closer to the time you will be here you can PM me and I can give you the latest scoop on the lake.

rmottino
05-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks CraigH for the license info. The manager of a marina at bear lake told me the same... probably it will be iced and marinas closed.

So it will be Irvine lake for now, i will be in touch with 5150fishn.

Thanks again!

Mike274
05-12-2012, 01:53 AM
Chances are that the High Sierra lakes i.e. Sabrina and the surrounding lakes will be well frozen over in January as will those from Mammoth north. Heck, good chance Big Bear will be frozen too. Anyways, if you get to the north you can fish Lone Pine and Independence north throug Bishop to Pleasant Valley reservoir. Most places from Lone Pine / Independence north to Pleasant Valley Res will be ice free and open to year round fishing. Outside of the Reservoir all of the other areas will be stream fishing, and you can catch some big ones that time of year. The hatcheries in the area generally plant their brood stock Jan - Feb.

If you are local here I would say to hit Laguna Niguel lake. Up in the central California area you can hit the Kern and Kings rivers if the flows aren't too outrageous.

You can also do some surf fishing as you drive up the coast. That can be very productive as well.

If you have any other question you can pm me.

Good Luck

Mike

rmottino
05-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks Mike for all the info!
Lots of places i can hit.
The far i will go north on hwy395 is Olancha, so bishop and lone pine are out of my reach.

What bait do you use for trout in a lake?

5150fishn
05-12-2012, 09:18 AM
As far as bait goes for trout you can always use power bait or nightcrawlers. Best is to dip them in a scent like Bite-on garlic or roe to give you that added advantage. I prefer to throw jigs or trout worms dipped in a scent or you can throw lures for them also.

phishin phool
05-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Hello Roman, since you are gonna be here in the dead of winter most warmer water species will be tough. I would recommend, if you want a chance at a memorable fish, going to one of the regional pay to fish lakes. They stock really nice sized Trout and you do not need a license to fish them. In my opinion this is the order of best lakes. 1. Laguna Niguel Lake. 2.Corona Lake. 3. Irvine lake. 4. Santa Ana River Lakes(shore fishing is best) The regional parks in the inland area also stock nice fish but are shore fishing only. I have fished them all and would be glad to share any info you need, pm me if interested. Good luck and tight lines.

1HR2BBL
05-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Agree with lakes like Irvine, Corona or Santa Ana River lakes. These are private water lakes where you pay to fish, thus no California Fishing license is required. You can rent boats here too.

Big Bear... cold, snow on the ground and fishing only from shore. Marinas will be closed, no boat rentals. Fishing License is required.

Bishop.... most waters are closed to fishing in January except Pleasant Valley Reservoir and the lower Owens river. No boat rentals. Fishing license is required. Waters above Bishop towards Bridgeport are closed for the season except upper Owens River which has barbless hooks and catch & release regulations.

Other option could be ocean fishing, 3/4 day perhaps. You will need a California fishing license. Most of the landings rent saltwater poles also. Boats should have live bait onboard.

Hope you enjoy your visit in January. :Smile:

rmottino
05-13-2012, 05:57 AM
Definitively i will be hiting one or two of those lakes. Irvine, Corona and Laguna Niguel... i've been seeing pictures and the places are awesome, very scenic and natural environment.
I will start gathering some info on the rates for fishing permits, rod and reel rental and boat rental.

I went fishing yesterday and got a couple of "Dorados" on the Parana River, 50 miles from my city. Here are some photos, one had 7 lbs and 8.8 lbs the other

carpanglerdude
05-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Wow, those are awesome fish. Pure gold.

SierraPeaks
05-13-2012, 02:44 PM
The only waters open to fishing in the Eastern Sierras in January is Hot Creek (regulations apply) PV Reservoir, and the Owens River. Plus you didn't mention anything about being on the eastern side of the Sierras...so I'd disregard all those suggestions. You did mention you were going to Sequoia. So...depending on weather...you'll be very close to Shaver and Huntington Lakes on the western slope of the Sierras. They are not natural lakes...but still very pretty country and in winter you don't have to contend with water skiers and personal watercrafters. Also...if you're going to be in Gold Rush Country...there is a ton of lakes in that area. Just Google "California Gold Rush Country lakes" Please come back here after your trip and let us know where you decided on and how you did.

rmottino
05-18-2012, 07:12 AM
Quick update
Today i booked our flight with American Airlines!!
I will be arriving at San Francisco on 1/3/13 and leaving 1/28/13 from San Diego