PDA

View Full Version : 19lb 12oz Brown out of PVR today 5/7/12 - HOLY COW!!!!

Sierra_Smitty
05-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Just reporting a report but dang....talk about a PIG!!! That fish is eating very well......Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaangggggg!!!!!!

No details on what it was caught on but it was caught by a Bishop local apparently.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/pvrbrown.jpg

kenny8308
05-07-2012, 05:58 PM
That thing is a gd beast. How is that reagans store doing btw I'll have to remember to stop by there in a couple weeks.

Spaulding
05-07-2012, 06:56 PM
PVR SUBMARINE. Damn, that thing is massive!

Which Way Out
05-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Front page next week I bet...
WWO

Matt44
05-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Thing is a beast for sure what a lucky guy! Wonder what it hit! Tails a little thrashed but a beast for sure!

fishermanx14
05-07-2012, 07:34 PM
i want one...

FSHNLIC
05-07-2012, 08:16 PM
That is on big old ugly mofo

Big Country
05-07-2012, 08:24 PM
ant eggs...lol

flytyingreloader
05-07-2012, 08:27 PM
That one will need a little make-up and orthotics work via the taxidermist, but should clean up all right. Heck of a fish, in any event. I wonder how old a fish is that reaches that size.

Crawler
05-07-2012, 09:26 PM
DAMN! I fished the dam yesterday, one strike on a mini jig and only saw one other guy fishing. That is an unreal fish.

cutbait
05-07-2012, 10:01 PM
That's a trout???

Nasty!

Is that natural or stocked? That tail is cut right?

Forgive my ignorance on Browns..

Looks like those genetically mutated Rainbows stocked at the pay lakes..

No way in my mind that can be a native fish?

cpt_majestic
05-08-2012, 07:20 AM
He should of let it go, that's what cameras are for

tpfishnfool
05-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Oh $hi^ ! Bob is going to be pissed !

Sierra_Smitty
05-08-2012, 08:16 AM
That's a trout???

Nasty!

Is that natural or stocked? That tail is cut right?

Forgive my ignorance on Browns..

Looks like those genetically mutated Rainbows stocked at the pay lakes..

No way in my mind that can be a native fish?

Hatcheries clip the adipose fins on hatchery trout, not the tail fin.

While ugly, it is not a recently stocked fish - they haven't put Browns in PVR for years.

Think of how a 90 year old person looks compared to a 20 year old...would you expect an obese senior citizen of a fish to look that good? Fish was probably days from death lol!

teejay
05-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Looks like a fish from the "River Monsters" show.

Big Country
05-08-2012, 10:09 AM
I was thinking the same thing Smitty, just couldn't put it to words. It will be interesting to hear the story and find out what the fight was like. Hopefully it went out like the majestic beast it is and gave the angler hell and didn't just belly-up like all the steroid trout do down south in the freeway lakes.

I'm usually a CPR guy up there, but there is absolutely no way I'm snapping a pic of that beast and then watching it swim away. I can hear all the bs now that would come as a result of a photo only..."he's holding it too far out in the photo", "he's only 5 ft tall so it looks bigger than it is", etc. etc. etc.

Hats off to the angler for a job well done, I just hope he didn't get it on 2 lb line ;)

Matt44
05-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Smitty hit it right on the head alotta times those old browns will die befor there even caught there so elusive and hard to catch. Didnt you use to have a pic of the huge skeleton from twins big country? Heard it hit a rago bait!

Big Country
05-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Yep, still got those pics Matt...skin and skeleton weighed 12 lbs alone and taped out at around 32". I can't wait to hear the story about this one though, I bet it is a good one.

bstolton
05-08-2012, 08:11 PM
WOW!!
Can`t wait to hear the whole story. I will be up there this weekend, gotta stop at reagans and get more details. Maybe a stop at PVR is in order too.

TroutOnly
05-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Just think of what it would have looked like if it was a big old hook jaw male,,,,,,,,,,with narly teeth,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,its belly is bigger than trollys,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,

flytyingreloader
05-08-2012, 11:34 PM
I'm sure Smitty and others are more tuned in to trout stocking/rearing policies than I am, but my impression has been that the propogation of browns and brooks is being de-emphasized while the work on goldens--cutts--and rainbows is being advanced to some extent. Some bit about "native species emphasis" being the latest fashion statement in trout culture. More drivel from the condor cuddlers and fauna fascists, I imagine.

OC ANGLER
05-08-2012, 11:37 PM
what a monster !

Sierra_Smitty
05-08-2012, 11:48 PM
I'm sure Smitty and others are more tuned in to trout stocking/rearing policies than I am, but my impression has been that the propogation of browns and brooks is being de-emphasized while the work on goldens--cutts--and rainbows is being advanced to some extent. Some bit about "native species emphasis" being the latest fashion statement in trout culture. More drivel from the condor cuddlers and fauna fascists, I imagine.

Interesting and somewhat confusing statement....where are you going with that?

flytyingreloader
05-09-2012, 12:09 AM
Not really "going" anyplace with it, sir. I have concerns that Cal-DFG is unduly influenced by such groups as Center For Biological Diversity, an over-reaction to the many lawsuits filed to stop or delay trout planting schedules. Having worked for a government agency that was similarly over-sensitive to such litigational harassment, I would prefer to see DFG do their job in spite of the pressure exerted by these anti-hunting/anti-fishing extremists. The MLPA areas in our oceans do not bode well for the future of sport angling. At my old shop about halfway through my career our leadership finally figured out that no matter how we did business, we got sued anyway--so ya might as well do your job and sort the trash out later. Net effect? We got sued less frequently, and with a LOT less success, by not encouraging suits through timidity. Maybe that last bit is my real thrust here.

Big Country
05-09-2012, 08:01 AM
In English, I think he means all the tree-huggin hippies are screwing things up in CA and that an agency such as the dfg should just say "f&*k it" and keep planting trout regardless of what lawsuits these a-holes file.

flytyingreloader
05-09-2012, 09:29 AM
There ya go, BC. CBD is trying to unring a bell that has chimed for nearly a century, and it makes no sense at all. I don't give a rapid rip that brown trout aren't native and weren't here when Columbus showed up--they are here NOW, and I like them. A lot. Leave them and the brookies alone, for cryin' out loud. "Invasive species", mi nalgas.

Sierra_Smitty
05-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Not really "going" anyplace with it, sir. I have concerns that Cal-DFG is unduly influenced by such groups as Center For Biological Diversity, an over-reaction to the many lawsuits filed to stop or delay trout planting schedules. Having worked for a government agency that was similarly over-sensitive to such litigational harassment, I would prefer to see DFG do their job in spite of the pressure exerted by these anti-hunting/anti-fishing extremists. The MLPA areas in our oceans do not bode well for the future of sport angling. At my old shop about halfway through my career our leadership finally figured out that no matter how we did business, we got sued anyway--so ya might as well do your job and sort the trash out later. Net effect? We got sued less frequently, and with a LOT less success, by not encouraging suits through timidity. Maybe that last bit is my real thrust here.

I couldn't agree more with the above....the current state of enviro wackos directly affecting policy is pretty scary stuff, especially when you consider that there are zero trout native between Big Pine and Bridgeport. It scares the crap out of me because 2/3 of my business is fishing dependent.

I just thought the comment about the DFG not paying enough attention to Browns & Brookies was confusing and for you uncharacteristically ill-informed so I figured I'd ask for an explanation. Brookies are like weeds - too much of a good thing IMO. Browns are used strategically by the DFG to thin out Brookie populations here and stocked consistently in other parts of the state that are better suited for them to flourish (Almanor for instance) but aside from that - do you really think they need help? They're everywhere below 10k on the Eastside. They're also a poor game fish for the majority of people because they're so damn hard to catch. I think management of Cutts Goldens and 'Bows is pretty on point from where I sit...Cutts in Cali are a novelty, Goldens are the state fish and Rainbows are easily produced and easy to catch for most anglers (and good feed for Browns like that hahaha).

sierraslam
05-09-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm pretty sure Tim Alpers raises Browns at Conway Ranch. I don't think they're some kind of endangered species. As for the Golden's, I did not know that there is still a stocking program for them. good news!

tpfishnfool
05-09-2012, 01:10 PM
In English, I think he means all the tree-huggin hippies are screwing things up in CA and that an agency such as the dfg should just say "f&*k it" and keep planting trout regardless of what lawsuits these a-holes file.

Bingo !!! Hit that one on the Head...

flytyingreloader
05-09-2012, 07:58 PM
No fervent disagreement with your points, Smitty. As originally stated, I'm certain that you and your business community have a much better and more accurate take on the trout habitat situation than I do. A lot of the waters containing brookies show fish that are stunted, so they probably don't need help--not if browns are sent in to trim their numbers back. (That's news!). Browns serve another purpose--to cater to the more masochistic end of the trout fishing fraternity, those that love being ignored enthusiastically by a species far less evolved than we are. :)

I might be over-simplifying the matter, but I've never met a trout I didn't like. All their species are precious to me. Now, the monster out of PVR needs a few upgrades--bondo, re-paint, and a buff-out......but it's still a trout, at the end of the day. Call it a "restoration".

Sierra_Smitty
05-11-2012, 11:50 AM
No fervent disagreement with your points, Smitty. As originally stated, I'm certain that you and your business community have a much better and more accurate take on the trout habitat situation than I do. A lot of the waters containing brookies show fish that are stunted, so they probably don't need help--not if browns are sent in to trim their numbers back. (That's news!). Browns serve another purpose--to cater to the more masochistic end of the trout fishing fraternity, those that love being ignored enthusiastically by a species far less evolved than we are. :)

I might be over-simplifying the matter, but I've never met a trout I didn't like. All their species are precious to me. Now, the monster out of PVR needs a few upgrades--bondo, re-paint, and a buff-out......but it's still a trout, at the end of the day. Call it a "restoration".

Kinda wish there was a like button on here.....

Ya, the Browns have been strategically placed in certain areas to help thin out brookie populations. They're typically in the 2-3lb range when stocked and carried by packers. I know they put in a bunch at Loch Leven and Dingleberry in our area seven or eight years ago. Little Lakes Valley is another place where they have tried this....hasn't really helped much but there are some submarines swimmin' around :)

flytyingreloader
05-11-2012, 01:30 PM
One of those "Los Angeles-Class" brownies would thrill ya soundly on 3-weight fly tackle, I'd bet.

smokinflies
05-16-2012, 12:23 AM
That's one nasty looking trout.

...That fish is eating very well....

was eating very well...:Crying:

smokehound
05-16-2012, 12:48 AM
Dear god, that thing is ugly as hell.

Looks like it's been feasting on 12 inch trout.. Toss some HUDDS!