PDA

View Full Version : 3-Days Local Cod Extravaganza

marzocchi
05-07-2012, 04:34 PM
I have not posted a report in long time. My boat has been sitting on my driveway for months and it needed to be started up, so I decided to take her out for a quick trip. I ended up taking 3 trips back to back. I did my usual thing, which was to hit up the local cod grounds. The local cod fishing was fantastic. I didn't have to travel all the way up north, out to the islands or south of the border. Just a short 15 minute boat ride from the harbor entrance. Limit(s) of quality cods in just over an hour's fishing each time. Back to the dock and my usual quick stop at Jerry's Mexican Grill for a veggie burrito and a beer. Followed that by a mid morning nap, a shower and I was free to spend the rest of my day as I pleased. All this before high noon. Life is good. I wish I could do this every day. Pictures and storyline of some good days:

Day 1 - SMB

I took a solo trip out of the SMB. I had this area I was looking on the map that I have been wanting to try for a long time. I ran up to near the mark and my meter was lit up. I did not even brother to bring out the squid. I just dropped down with my lucky JAX jig and shrimp fly combo and instant doubles on the big reds. Even though I drifted off the spot, the reds kept coming and some huge boscos joined the party. A new nice cod mark to add to the collection.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/dattrinh/IMG_0142.jpg
I kept 8 vermillions and 2 big boscos. The big red at the end weighed in at 7 lbs. Boscos were delicious.

Day 2 - Long Beach

I wanted to pick up a reel from someone's post on the classifieds. I called the guy up and asked him if I can pick up the reel the next morning. He said he was going fishing with his brother the next day and he told me I can pick it up the following day. That was no bueno for me, I wanted to go biking up in the mountains the following day. So I told him I will take him and his bro fishing on my boat for free the next day and I can pick up the reel the same time. He agreed. We hit the shallower long beach area for some nice size reds, some pig baberpoles, boscos and the ever present bocaccios.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/dattrinh/IMG_0149-1.jpg
Limits for 3 in a little over an hour fishing time. When we went to part ways, I went to pick up my reel from John's car and pay him. He refused to take my money, even though I insisted he does. He told me to keep the reel as a gift and keep him in mine when I need someone to pay for gas. Thanks for the reel John! Nice to meet you Josh. You guys got plenty of fish for your weekend family fish fry now. If I knew you were going to give me the reel, I would have put you on a better spot :D

Day 3 - Long Beach

When I went home, my pops was waiting for me. He asked me if I got him any reds. I told him I didn't keep any fish. I told him I saved him a bunch reds from the other day I went out on the SMB and some from the cattle boat trips I went on. He seemed kind of disappointed, so I told him if he wants I will take him out on a quick trip to one of my grade-A spots and he can load up on the vermillions. He looked pretty excited because he knows I rarely take anyone to the grade-A spots. Pops was definitely eager to go because he woke me up at 3:30am. All I can say was ffffffffff too early.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/dattrinh/IMG_0150.jpg
Here is my pops with the average size local reds. The feedback sports bike scale says 5lbs something. A few 6+lbers in the mix. I told my pops to use only 1 hook so he doesn't limit out too fast, but he went ahead and made me tie 2 hooks anyways. I let my pops have his day and I played deckhand the whole time. I let him keep his limit of 10 fish and let him have 1 last drop to fill part of my slot. He wanted to drop down one more time, but I moved off the spot, plus I wanted to go home and get a quick nap before my biking trip.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/dattrinh/IMG_0151.jpg
Here is my pops' bounty. He lives in Iowa 90% of time, so some freshly caught rockfish is only on the menu when he comes back to California.

Thats it. I am officially rockfish'd out. No mas. See you all next time.

Armofisher818
05-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Nice bro three days back to back and a free reel that's awesome I went out myself to all the way to Catalina and back but got stuck in some 6+ ft swells and winds waves

TroutOnly
05-08-2012, 07:29 AM
WAY TO SLAY MARZ-MAN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DockRat
05-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Great Freezer Run. WTG
DR

Ambassadorhawg
05-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Biking in the mountains? As in "mountain biking"? What do you ride and where?

marzocchi
05-12-2012, 03:57 AM
Biking in the mountains? As in "mountain biking"? What do you ride and where?

Ambassadorhawg from mtbr!!! My current ride is a s-works stumpjumper. Saturdays I ride the sgv trail to redbox then back down rincon. Long climb, long ride down. Wednesdays is random trail picked from geoladders.

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=10913 You can find me here Saturdays, but doing the trail in reverse.

Ambassadorhawg
05-12-2012, 05:41 AM
Ambassadorhawg from mtbr!!! My current ride is a s-works stumpjumper. Saturdays I ride the sgv trail to redbox then back down rincon. Long climb, long ride down. Wednesdays is random trail picked from geoladders.

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=10913 You can find me here Saturdays, but doing the trail in reverse.

There is only ONE Ambassadorhawg... Perhaps we can set up a ride together one of these days. Do you have the same user name for MTBR as on here?

murrieta angler
05-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Hello Dat,
Very nice and funny report.
The barber in that first picture is a fatty!!
The comment about taking the guys to a better spot was the "Chuckler" for me...:LOL:
Great looking fish, as usual...:Big Grin:
Thanks for the report and pics,
Robert
<><

p.s. Do you ever head down South into Mex?

marzocchi
05-16-2012, 03:39 AM
There is only ONE Ambassadorhawg... Perhaps we can set up a ride together one of these days. Do you have the same user name for MTBR as on here?

Username is Dat on mtbr. Heard you are pro...I dont know if I can keep up.

marzocchi
05-16-2012, 03:54 AM
Hey Robert,

South for rockfish? Not anymore. I think I do alright locally. But for other gamefish, I tried my best to do a couple trips a year.

Hello Dat,
Very nice and funny report.
The barber in that first picture is a fatty!!
The comment about taking the guys to a better spot was the "Chuckler" for me...:LOL:
Great looking fish, as usual...:Big Grin:
Thanks for the report and pics,
Robert
<><

p.s. Do you ever head down South into Mex?