PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Dana Point jetties / marine conservation area

CraigH
05-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Hey everyone,

I usually fish the Dana Point twilight boat two or three times a month in summer, and with traffic on the 91 find it's easier to drive down in the late morning and fish the jetties until boat time. I see that the ocean facing jetty by the marine institute is in the new Dana Point State Marine Conservation Area (blue area on DFG maps). In looking up the SMCA rules, the DFG guidebook says:

Permitted/Prohibited Uses:
(B) Take of all living marine resources is prohibited except:
1. Only the following species may be taken recreationally below the
mean lower low tide line only: finfish* [subsection 632(a)(2)] by hookand-
line or by spearfishing [Section 1.76], and lobster and sea urchin.

What the heck does "below the mean lower low tide line only" mean? Am I OK as long as my bait or lure is below the low tide line?

Also, where is the closest parking if I want to fish the other jetty (the one by the bait receiver)? I've seen people fishing it but looking at it on google maps it looks like the only close parking is used by trailer boats.

Thanks

smokehound
05-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Hey everyone,

I usually fish the Dana Point twilight boat two or three times a month in summer, and with traffic on the 91 find it's easier to drive down in the late morning and fish the jetties until boat time. I see that the ocean facing jetty by the marine institute is in the new Dana Point State Marine Conservation Area (blue area on DFG maps). In looking up the SMCA rules, the DFG guidebook says:

Permitted/Prohibited Uses:
(B) Take of all living marine resources is prohibited except:
1. Only the following species may be taken recreationally below the
mean lower low tide line only: finfish* [subsection 632(a)(2)] by hookand-
line or by spearfishing [Section 1.76], and lobster and sea urchin.

What the heck does "below the mean lower low tide line only" mean? Am I OK as long as my bait or lure is below the low tide line?

Also, where is the closest parking if I want to fish the other jetty (the one by the bait receiver)? I've seen people fishing it but looking at it on google maps it looks like the only close parking is used by trailer boats.

ThanksThe mean low tide is the average low tide. There are generally two lows per day, compare them and determine the average low. We always just park by the ocean institute, right next to the pier. Free parking.

There isn't any free parking by the bait reciever, if I can remember correctly, the closest parking to the bait pens is in front of the first jetty next to doheny.. The jetty closer to the pier is the better one, anyway. Bring some peas or corn, lots of nice opaleye around there.

So in easier terms-- in the conservation area, artificials and cut/live fish only as bait. As a precaution, wade out a bit to ensure you're below the mark. Be careful, this is stingray heaven for big roundies. Try some creature baits and cranks in this spot. Nice zone for big surfperch. Bring some kastmasters too! Dont bring mussels or squid to that zone, the only invertebrates you're allowed to possess in that zone are lobsters and sea urchins.

Have fun!

CraigH
05-08-2012, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the info, Smokehound. I hadn't thought about bringing mussel and squid bait into the area being against the rules!!