PDA

View Full Version : BBL bowfishing, 5/5/12...

Skyler
05-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Hit up big bear yesterday. Met up with TackleJunkie and tried the deeper areas near the dam in the morning. He caught a small LMB, but otherwise, no love. At about noon, we headed over to the east end and ended up at the Stanfield cutoff. I worked east from there through the waterfowl area for about an hour and hit two and missed one. I headed back to the cutoff and fished for trout with TJ for awhile with no sucess. At about 2:30 he called it a day and I decided to make another pass through the area. Managed four more. The fish were grouped up near vegetation, which sucks because I could only stick one in each group and the rest scattered. Total score: 6 hits, 3 misses, 1 fish grazed with a cloud of scales erupting in the water...

http://s17.postimage.org/suyd10u8v/IMG385.jpg

http://s17.postimage.org/rty4bwd9b/IMG386.jpg

Aim low, guys.

mil sonrisas
05-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Hey Skyler,
just wondering if you were the guy next to me early in the morning. I was wearing a green sweater and was fishing, more like letting my bait soak for about an hour before I left that spot. just wanted to say what's up in case it was you. glad you got some carp!

socalbassboy
05-06-2012, 02:12 PM
hey man i saw you out there! i was fishing stanfield! awesome gettin them on a bow!

Anglerism
05-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Did you lose on of your arrow? My dad found an arrow... it look similar the pic. I left it where i was fishing... I was fishing in the middle or the cutoff rd. I got there around 4pm.

The Fishing Queen
05-06-2012, 06:30 PM
This looks like a fun sport and you nailed it! I have a question: can you bow fish on any lake or just some?

blackberg
05-06-2012, 08:54 PM
nice, have to make it out there soon

just some, locally its just Big Bear, Lake Elsinore, and the Colorado River
-bb

Skyler
05-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks, guys.

Mil, yeah, that was me. I left a bit after you did. My buddy on the motorcycle caught a dink bass. No other action.

Anglerism, yeah, that was probably mine. Yellow and black with an orange safety slide. I left that arrow sitting on my roof rack and forgot about it. Doh!

Fishing Queen, only certain lakes allow bowfishing.

btsponge
05-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Good job, man. So many times I've seen a school or carp swim by and I wish I had a bow (or stick of dynamite).

Troutin Man
05-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Great job out there! Way to stick with it! Bowfishing must be awesome. Has anyone been up to Crystal Lake? I saw the DFG stocked but not sure if the 1 mile hike with all the gear is worth it.

DarkShadow
05-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Nice gold bass!

That area near Big Bear looks like an adventure in the making.

(OH, BTW, I followed those GPS directions you sent me. I almost broke my neck hiking down the ravine and all the ONLY thing we found was like, 80 hungry trout that apparently had never seen a fisherman in ages.)

Skyler
05-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Glad you found it. Watch out for rock slides. That's a fun spot. One of the few streams you are guaranteed a dry fly bite.