PDA

View Full Version : looks like Quail is heating up

Lucky Lager
05-05-2012, 03:02 PM
quick report...

Wulfman & i decided to brave the winds at quail today. the bite was on...for about 45 minutes.
i stuck a 6-1/2 pounder right off the bat to break the skunk, then a few minutes later Wulfman landed a nice 8-1/2 pounder.
right after that, i stuck a 4-1/2 pounder. then....nothing for about 20 minutes.
i switched to a small swimbait & landed 2 dinks back to back.
we stuck around for a couple more hours, hoping the bite would pick back up...but it never did.
sorry for the short report, i'm late for the family duties :Secret:

the 2 i kept
popped the eye out of one of the dinks...he swam off just fine, haha
Wulfman's fish dwarfed mine :mad:

dkinla
05-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Nice report. It does seem like things are picking up there.

How windy was it up there this am?
You guys fished the narrow channel?

ZipperWurm
05-05-2012, 11:25 PM
very nice! haven't been out there since last summer, nor heard of any decent striper action, may have to hit it up on my days off!

Lucky Lager
05-06-2012, 03:35 AM
Nice report. It does seem like things are picking up there.

How windy was it up there this am?
You guys fished the narrow channel?

It was pretty windy, 20mph+. not the windiest I've ever seen it, but defanatly something to deal with.
We walked the north shore & tried to find wind breaks.

cutbait
05-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Nicely done guys

Is that the new lipless Luckycraft pointer or the Sebille? I recognize that Trailblazer special, Silver Phanton Big Hammer... LOL

Quail is only 40 mins from my house, prob is Pyramid is 45 and allows boats!!!

Quail can be magic.. I've experienced it only twice and it was in the same week period during the spawn.

Out of curiousity???? what was the level of egg and spooge in your fish. I'm curious as to the spawn status at Quail compared to the duct and Pyramid.

Duct is not ready and Pyramid is on the cusp of being chock full of spooge

Lucky Lager
05-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Nicely done guys

Is that the new lipless Luckycraft pointer or the Sebille? I recognize that Trailblazer special, Silver Phanton Big Hammer... LOL

Quail is only 40 mins from my house, prob is Pyramid is 45 and allows boats!!!

Quail can be magic.. I've experienced it only twice and it was in the same week period during the spawn.

Out of curiousity???? what was the level of egg and spooge in your fish. I'm curious as to the spawn status at Quail compared to the duct and Pyramid.

Duct is not ready and Pyramid is on the cusp of being chock full of spooge

my 2 larger ones were on the sebile magic swimmer & my 2 dinks were on a 3" BH, Wulfman's was on the 5" BH.
all fish that were killed were milting & the milt sacks weren't huge.

i went back today & only managed one, another milting male with almost empty sacks.
a helthy 7.4lb fish that fought really well. he hit a fluke on a looong cast, so i got to fight him for a little bit.
1 of my fish yesterday had a bunch of shrimp, or something, in the stomach...all the rest, as well as today's, had empty stomachs.

the bite today was nothing like yesterday. it took over an hour to get this fish & then had only 1 short bite after that. yesterday had much more action.
....maybe i should have been going out there last week? i hope i didn't come in on the tail end of the bite.

cutbait
05-06-2012, 11:34 AM
In my opinion, and I emphasize opinion its just starting. Been a weird spring leading up to this spawn I could of swore this winter it would be an eary spawn and its turning out to be late...

Always a learning curve and fishing time is more important than "plans"... fish will do what they do, when they do it...We just have to be diligent in time on water...

No barometer/temps/moon phase ideas are concrete... only lead to excuses

cutbait
05-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Nice fish LL and how great would it be to get a boat on quail

Lucky Lager
05-06-2012, 11:52 AM
In my opinion, and I emphasize opinion its just starting. Been a weird spring leading up to this spawn I could of swore this winter it would be an eary spawn and its turning out to be late...

Always a learning curve and fishing time is more important than "plans"... fish will do what they do, when they do it...We just have to be diligent in time on water...

No barometer/temps/moon phase ideas are concrete... only lead to excuses

i agree. time on the water is the best way to catch fish. these last 2 outings, there was a full moon....the last dozen full moons...not even a bite for me. just saved the batteries on my headlamp, lol.
i hope you're right about the late spawn, i've got plans to land many more :)

Nice fish LL and how great would it be to get a boat on quail

i know, right!?! i know there's some real lunkers in there.
plus, it's so hard to cover a lot of ground there. with a boat, you could cover the whole lake several times in a single day.

trail blazer
05-06-2012, 12:39 PM
WTG on the TOP SECRET LAKE fish.

NICEEEEEE

Hitts0n
05-06-2012, 02:16 PM
I would like to fish this lake more often from like 8pm to 6am at night.Ive only done it once.
Looking for them big kittys I keep hearing about.But i'll take them stripers also !!!
Congrats on the lake that sleeps !!!

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Congrats on the feesh....

Bang em out while U can

Nice work..

Gary

TroutOnly
05-07-2012, 10:49 AM
nice stripeys ,everytime i drive by on the way to the mid theres people there fishing even in the dark i see the little lights around the lake especially on the week ends,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-07-2012, 12:44 PM
I would like to fish this lake more often from like 8pm to 6am at night.Ive only done it once.
Looking for them big kittys I keep hearing about.But i'll take them stripers also !!!
Congrats on the lake that sleeps !!!

Hitts...I don't think those hours will work for you.....there are wild animals out there.....

Given that info..I don't think you can catch fish while sitting in the car !

SLAM !

U been served...

again congrats guys....sorry for the thread jack !

Lucky Lager
05-07-2012, 10:00 PM

haha, always gotta appreciate a good SLAM!

Hitts0n
05-08-2012, 02:13 AM
Hitts...I don't think those hours will work for you.....there are wild animals out there.....

Given that info..I don't think you can catch fish while sitting in the car !

SLAM !

U been served...

Out there I have a reason for carrying weapons of mass destructi0n !!!:Twisted::Secret:

sumojo
05-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Way to go there you guys , thanks for the report