PDA

View Full Version : June Lake or Convict Lake Pontoon rental???

HighSierratrout
05-04-2012, 12:28 PM
We are going to rent a pontoon on either June Lake or Convict Lake on June 21, half day to fish. We will have 5 kids ages 3-9 and 6 adults. I've never been to either lake so I was wondering which lake would be better to fish? All the kids and adults fish.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

seal
05-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Convict can be tricky, clear water sometimes makes the bite a little tough, but at other times very good fishing. June is a much larger lake and more diverse fishing opportunities with the cutthroats, also they just planted Alpers in there. I think Convict is one of the most beautiful backgrounds/views of any of the roadside lakes.

For best chance at getting into the fish June might be the ticket but I'd prefer Convict cause of the beauty, not sure I've helped you any!

LBSea
05-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Call both lakes and ask a few questions. You will need a big pontoon for 11 people so make sure they have one big enough and how many they have. Sometimes it can be hard to get a pontoon when the bite is good, especially if they only have a few in the size you need. Find out if you can reserve or is it first come first serve. Also, check the prices. I don't mind paying to get a boat but I also like to know I am not getting hosed. Finally find out how the bite has been at both lakes. Call the marina; check the web posts etc...

Like the first response said it is hard to beat the scenery at Convict Lake and if your are coming from the South it is a bit closer than June. The stream that comes out of Convict can be good at the beginning of the season so If the lake does not pay off it is a good last resort while someone is returning the pontoon boat.

I love Convict Lake and will be there soon.

Tight Lines

SierraPeaks
05-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Convict was the first lake in the Sierras I ever fished...about 40 years ago. So it has always held a special place in my heart. But really...between the two lakes...flip a coin. They are both awesome and can both produce great fishing. The only plus to June is the 3 other lakes in the loop if June isn't doing it for you. But typically, if June is producing neither is Gull, Silver, or Grant.

besttimespent
05-23-2012, 07:28 AM
I have fished both lakes. I have had better luck at Convict. The stream dumping the snow melt in early spring is just great and the fishing there is good. Convict is very clear. At the west side you can see down to about +30'. As for June, the inlet has produced real good at times. I float tube on both. Be careful as it can get windy and blow you accross the lake. Either one should produce. Stop at the local tackle store in Bishop and ask them what has been producing and the baits that are being hit on.
Hope this helps.
Rob

Big Country
05-24-2012, 09:16 AM
June or Gull hands down, especially if you have children. The fishing is relative in all of the lakes if you have any sense of a clue as to what you're doing. More experiences in the loop for kids including the playground on Gull Lake shore right next to the marina, stream fishing, etc. An easy itinerary would be rent 1/2 day at June, have lunch at Tiger Bar then hit the park to play and wet a line at Gull and then maybe fish the slower stream sections of Rush.

Whatever your choice, make a reservation in advance.