PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic needed

HBAR
05-04-2012, 08:32 AM
anyone know of a mechanic in the San Fernando Valley that will work with me, I have a spark plug that the bottom portion of it broke off inside the head and can't get it out. I have the tool to tap threads into the metal piece but I can't get the ceramic out that's still in there and it looks like I bent a piece of the metal hence another reason why I can't get the tap in there. Looks like the head will need to be pulled so that plug can be removed from the inside.

Thanks, HBAR.

koifish
05-04-2012, 09:29 AM
that is a tough one. You would have to remove the head and carefully break the ceramic in peaces and remove it out.

661Bass'n
05-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Can you carefully breakaway or drill out the ceramic....then vaccum the pieces out???? This should leave the bottom of the plug intacked, so you can unscrew it out properly with a plug socket.

HBAR
05-04-2012, 01:39 PM
I have the dang tool needed to remove the bottom portion of this sticken plug, only thing is I can't get the fricken ceramic out and a part of the lip is bent in which prevents me from getting the tap in there to thread the piece which in turn will allow me to screw the tool in there and pull it out. I hate this I used to be able to pull glow plugs out of a hummer engine when I was a mech in the Marines and now I can't even do this, it really pisses me off. To get a better idea of what I have to do check out on you tube Napa service tool 4663, there's no audio but you'll have a better understanding of what's going on. Oh yeah the ceramic that's still there has a hold from the electrode pin that came out when it broke.

Fastfish
05-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Breaking away the ceramic is the easy part and vacuum it out what motor are you dealing with.

THIS IS TO EVERYONE OUT THERE THAT TRIES TO SERVICE THERE OWN STUFF IF YOUR WORKING ON A 4-STROKE "ALWAYS" USE ANTI-SEIZE ON THE SPARK PLUG THREADS.

This can most likely be done without removing the head but there is still the possibility you'll have to renove the head.

Good Luck with this project

HBAR
05-07-2012, 10:32 AM
06 5.4L V8 ford expedition and breaking the ceramic is not easy since the plug is so far down from the valve cover, looks like the head will have to be pulled.

HBAR
05-10-2012, 08:30 PM
WOOOO HOOOO finally got the right tool to get the piece out, came in today and took but 5 mins to get it out, new plug in and truck is running pretty good, just have to change the fuel filter and clean out the throttle body. If anyone hears of their buddies doing this same thing to their 5.4L ford engine tell them to 1. make sure they know the proper way to take these dam things out, 2. but the Lisle LIS 65600 broken spark plug tool (it's for sale on Amazon). It will save them a bunch of hair pulling and choice words and possibly having to have the head replaced.

koifish
05-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Congrat to your PB.