PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Opener

yozay
05-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Took off from home (van nuys) about 11am on Friday, got into Bishop around 4 and stopped at Pizza Factory (they toss em they're awesome) my usual stop for a med pizza, got to the Haven about an hour later and didn't do a darn thing to get ready for next morning (getting way too lazy). Got up at 4am and got to Lundy by 5 started to get set-up while hearing a few fish jump, starting to get real excited. I could hear some people bringing fish in while I was not getting any bites, but I did get some snags! About an hour later starting to get a little disillusioned, I can't catch fish anymore :Crying: Finally got one, turned out to be the biggest of the trip about a pound. Ended up catching 9 fish in 5 hours of fishing, mostly on salmon egg pb,safely released 4. Went up to the Virginia's for some ice fishing found a couple of holes and caught & released 9 on n/c's, salmon eggs and meal worms all were caught on the lip.
Sunday slept in a little, started at Silver Lake by the boat launch about 8. I've had some great luck at Silver but not lately so after only an hour without as much a nibble and not seeing or hearing anyone else catch anything I headed for Lundy. Got there and see a guy heading back to the parking lot, he volunteers "it's slooooow", and yes it was. I caught 1 in about 2 hours. Decided to go to the Virginia's again. Caught a few there kept 1, again all fish were caught right on the lip. I had one real good hook up, might have been a good size, I'll never know, line broke off. Started off fishing 1 hole until someone left a nearby hole. While I was fishing both holes with these mini poles about 2ft long, I'm standing over one of the holes, I start getting some nibbles, so as I start to bend down to get the pole it starts sliding on the ice.....and yeah it goes down the hole while I shove my arm down in to the ice cold water, too late. Some poor fish is swimming around Big Virginia Lake towing a rod and reel. So let me know if you catch a fish with a rod and reel attached. Had a great time the weather was about as good as could be expected for this time of the year and the fish at Lundy were pretty frisky giving a pretty good fight and even jumping a little.

IncredibleHuck
05-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Where were you fishing at Lundy? We were fishing there and C&R about 50 there.

yozay
05-03-2012, 05:10 PM
You did great there! I was fishing on the south side maybe 200' feet from the east end. Where were you? What were they biting on?

Piss on Myspace
05-03-2012, 05:23 PM
sounds like a fun trip none the less....you may want to try jigs and lures (you can always bait your second rod), especially since they haven't seen anything like that in a few months! Thanks for the report

IncredibleHuck
05-04-2012, 07:59 AM
You did great there! I was fishing on the south side maybe 200' feet from the east end. Where were you? What were they biting on?

We were fishing close to the dam.