PDA

View Full Version : A few quick questions on shark fishing from the surf...

SoCal-Mike
05-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Hi there everyone so i been wanting to do some shark fishing from the surf and i was wondering if you guys could help me with some questions i have please. Would a 10 footer be the way to go? Spinning Rod or Conventional and what kinda line ratting? As for line Power Pro or Mono? I have 150lb cable and crimps would that be enough? And i think the most important question i have is rig and casting. I have heard of people using there kayak to drop there bait off but in my case i don't have a kayak or anything, what would be the best way for me to tackle this challenge? Any info, advice, or help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks All,
Mike

smokehound
05-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Hi there everyone so i been wanting to do some shark fishing from the surf and i was wondering if you guys could help me with some questions i have please. Would a 10 footer be the way to go? Spinning Rod or Conventional and what kinda line ratting? As for line Power Pro or Mono? I have 150lb cable and crimps would that be enough? And i think the most important question i have is rig and casting. I have heard of people using there kayak to drop there bait off but in my case i don't have a kayak or anything, what would be the best way for me to tackle this challenge? Any info, advice, or help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks All,
MikeYou'll need strong line if you're targeting larger leopard sharks, as they have a habit of rolling in the surf. 15-20 lb test mono is good enough IMO. I've caught nice leos with 15 lb test..

If you're using a large enough bait, sometimes just flylining a big chunk works. You can do this with a whole frozen squid, or a whole fresh sardine from the pier. I use a fish hook to puncture the gas bladder so the sardine will sink, this will work with a live sardine, too.. A c-rig is good for sharks, they are true bottomfeeders.

Live bait is best. You'll catch some monsters with a live sardine.

aquaflamz
05-02-2012, 10:00 PM
I too have the same question as SoCal-Mike. smokehound.....your reply related to fishing from the pier. He was asking about fishing from the shore if I'm not mistaken. I went surf fishing today in off the penninsula in newport. Out from 11th and 10th street. Didnt catch anything other than a hand sized barred surf perch. I casted a chunk of squid out with an 8 foot baitcast rod using a 2oz pyramid weight drop shot rigged. 20lb test mono. Couldn't seem to get it out very far. Also the 2oz weight seemed to be a little weak for holding up to the waves pulling the line. I want to go back out with a longer spinning reel/rod setup. For SHARKS. I wanna be able to cast that thing about 70 yards. Any recommended rod and reel combos? I know Penn is a good choice when it comes to saltwater. I have a penn on my surf perch rod. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Im going to try to go back out fishing Monday or Tuesday. Maybe someone wants to join me? BTW, I pretty much had the entire beach to myself. I wanna get some fishing in before school gets out and the beaches become crowded.

boxl0bster
05-02-2012, 10:47 PM
make sure you guys get some nice STURDY rod holders. i've had waves come in when im not paying attention and there goes my reel.

aquaflamz
05-03-2012, 02:14 PM
make sure you guys get some nice STURDY rod holders. i've had waves come in when im not paying attention and there goes my reel.

Yikes! You mean the wave pulls the line or actually washes the rod holder away?

DockRat
05-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Went to S Redondo 5:30 to 7 pm today 4-3-12, brought some squid. Tons of kelp and eel grass.
No bites. Tried a couple whole, then a body, and a head last.
DR