PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Lake Arrowhead, Tips?

flyhigh123
05-01-2012, 05:07 PM
I'll be staying at my friends place in Lake Arrowhead next week. For this current temp and month, what kinds of fish are biting? Trout? Also any techniques or lures you think work well? I may try to float tube or kayak fish as well.

I heard there is salmon there too, anyone ever catch one?

Thanks!

Skyler
05-01-2012, 06:21 PM
I only have one tip: Bring me along!

flyhigh123
05-01-2012, 10:42 PM
if it was my place, i would invite anyone! however, it's not my place...

P1M
05-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Well this time a year the small mouth should be in beds by now or soon. For samon you need to troll the mouth of emerald bay to the pump house. I also recall as a kid going out on one of the long docks at the condo's by village bay and catching samon with a silver spoon lure. For trout depending where you go a long 3ft leader with bait of choice seems to work. I hope your friend has lake rights because it is private and they will ask for proof. They got that placed pretty locked up now since I lived there. If you wanna have fun there are massive size carp in the village. No sinker and a Mcdonalds french fry with small or no sinker and get it past the ducks

seal
05-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Go to the sporting goods store in the Village, they are great guys and very helpful. Good luck, love Arrowhead!

RTG
05-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Sorry to inform you...no more kokanee (landlocked sockeye) salmon there. However, you will find awesome smallmouth bass fishing. Look for for spawning flats for the smallies. There is also a great population of largemouth bass and crappies too. The trout fishing will be good, as the ALA stocks trout. There are good numbers of nice holdovers too. Chances are you will be checked by the ALA for proof of residence or guest status. And don't be fooled by the lake being private, as far as fishing licenses and state regs are concerned. You do need a fishing license and must abide by state fishing regulations. The DFG patrols there.
Good luck.

RTG
05-02-2012, 10:26 AM
I'll be staying at my friends place in Lake Arrowhead next week. For this current temp and month, what kinds of fish are biting? Trout? Also any techniques or lures you think work well? I may try to float tube or kayak fish as well.

I heard there is salmon there too, anyone ever catch one?

Thanks!

Oh, you will also need a white flag attached to your float tube while fishing. Make your own or get one from the ALA office near the launch ramp and Hardin Marine. Make sure you have Senkos to catch the smallies. Drop-shotting nails 'em too!

flyhigh123
05-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the tips!

My friend owns a lakefront house so his backyard is the lake. :D

I'll probably be fishing from his dock most of the time, but I am considering buying a float tube so i can float tube fish that area.

i've fished it a few times and caught small mouth but i wasn't really into fishing back then. Now that i've got the bug, i want to maximize my time there.

CrownTown
05-02-2012, 07:52 PM
I fished arrowhead last summer and we killed the trout on garlic worms. Most we 2+ lbs too. I got one on a kastmaster and no love on powerbait so if you got for trout, consider bringing worms...

sponger_2
05-03-2012, 11:24 AM
if people look hard enough, you can get on the lake in a tube with no probs. :)

seal
05-03-2012, 11:30 AM
if people look hard enough, you can get on the lake in a tube with no probs. :)

If you are talking about a "Ninja" run I think your advice is pretty dumb. There are patrols all over that lake, this guy is talking about legal fishing and the responses are targeted towards helping him catch fish legally.

Skyler
05-03-2012, 11:45 AM
If you are talking about a "Ninja" run I think your advice is pretty dumb. There are patrols all over that lake, this guy is talking about legal fishing and the responses are targeted towards helping him catch fish legally.

Just pull out your pocket lawyer, he he he...

California Fish and Game Code 5943 (a):

(a) The owner of a dam shall accord to the public for the
purpose of fishing, the right of access to the waters impounded by
the dam during the open season for the taking of fish in the stream
or river, subject to the regulations of the commission.

The streams that they dammed up to make that lake traditionally held fish, so this code technically applies. Probably not worth arguing it with a patrol officer, but you would have a good case in court, and the case would set precedent. Get to know the statutes, guys. Some of them are in our favor, he he.

RTG
05-03-2012, 12:18 PM

The streams that they dammed up to make that lake traditionally held fish, so this code technically applies. Probably not worth arguing it with a patrol officer, but you would have a good case in court, and the case would set precedent. Get to know the statutes, guys. Some of them are in our favor, he he.

The problem with that argument is that you have to trespass on private property in order to get to the water. Nothing in the Fish and Game Code, or Title 14 allows the public to trespass on private property. And before you mention the "Village" area, it is also private property.
An example of legal access to state waters would be the Seven Oaks Dam. While the dam itself is private property, the land behind it is public (USFS), thus access through public land to reach state waters is legal. That just doesn't exist at Lake Arrowhead. So unless you plan to parachute from a plain, I'd suggest you don't trespass and fish there...unless you enjoy arguing with ALA officers or the San Bernardino Sheriff's. I'm not trying to be an A-hole here, just trying to inform you that to me...it ain't worth it!

seal
05-03-2012, 01:11 PM

You are on a roll today!

carpanglerdude
05-03-2012, 01:12 PM
There was actually a lawsuit regarding the above access issues a few years back. An individual tried boating into Canyon Lake, got arrested when he refused to leave, took it to court. I think it ended up with an out of court settlement.

It does seem odd that an entire community can hold claim to a public lake. I can understand how a small HOA might build a pond in the middle of their neighborhood, but public water should be...gasp...public water with access.

seal
05-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Cool then I say we open her on up and destroy it like all the other "public lakes"!

I would think considering how long Lake Arowhead has been private that these issues have been washed out in court long ago, but hey it's tough for me to get access and I'd like to play more often in the water so somebody go for it and let us know how it turns out.

Sounds to me like it is a HOA type lake. Spring Valley Lake is the same I believe in Victorville and is a fairly large lake, don't think size matters (well at least I've been told that).

From the Lake Arrowhead website-

As Lake Arrowhead is a private lake owned by the homeowners of Arrowhead Woods, visitors who are not guests of property owners have very limited use of the lake*.

Skyler
05-04-2012, 02:58 PM
The problem with that argument is that you have to trespass on private property in order to get to the water. Nothing in the Fish and Game Code, or Title 14 allows the public to trespass on private property. And before you mention the "Village" area, it is also private property.
An example of legal access to state waters would be the Seven Oaks Dam. While the dam itself is private property, the land behind it is public (USFS), thus access through public land to reach state waters is legal. That just doesn't exist at Lake Arrowhead. So unless you plan to parachute from a plain, I'd suggest you don't trespass and fish there...unless you enjoy arguing with ALA officers or the San Bernardino Sheriff's. I'm not trying to be an A-hole here, just trying to inform you that to me...it ain't worth it!

ALL natural rivers and streams are public domain and classified as waters of the state below the high water line. Just because you own the land around them, doesn't mean you have a legal right to stop angler access below the high water line. By damming up a stream and creating a lake you essentially raise the high water line. Additionally, lake arrowhead was planted with DFG fish, including grass carp back when it was fishable. Grass carp have a lifespan of up to 50 years. Which also brings the following into play:

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 1 DECLARATION OF RIGHTS

"Section 25. The people shall have the right to fish upon and from
the public lands of the State and in the waters thereof, excepting
upon lands set aside for fish hatcheries, and no land owned by the
State shall ever be sold or transferred without reserving in the
people the absolute right to fish thereupon; and no law shall ever be
passed making it a crime for the people to enter upon the public
lands within this State for the purpose of fishing in any water
containing fish that have been planted therein by the State;
provided, that the legislature may by statute, provide for the season
when and the conditions under which the different species of fish
may be taken."

We have already established that the streambeds that were inundated are public lands. And the state constitution provides that "no land owned by the State shall ever be sold or transferred without reserving in the people the absolute right to fish thereupon."

Seems to me there are plenty of ways to handle it, he he he.

Skyler
05-04-2012, 03:02 PM
There was actually a lawsuit regarding the above access issues a few years back. An individual tried boating into Canyon Lake, got arrested when he refused to leave, took it to court. I think it ended up with an out of court settlement.

Exactly. They settled the case to keep it quiet and prevent further case law from setting precedent. Though I don't think the streams that they dammed to make that lake traditionally held fish, so that may null F&G 5943.

RTG
05-04-2012, 08:49 PM
ALL natural rivers and streams are public domain and classified as waters of the state below the high water line. Just because you own the land around them, doesn't mean you have a legal right to stop angler access below the high water line. By damming up a stream and creating a lake you essentially raise the high water line. Additionally, lake arrowhead was planted with DFG fish, including grass carp back when it was fishable. Grass carp have a lifespan of up to 50 years. Which also brings the following into play:

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION

may be taken."

We have already established that the streambeds that were inundated are public lands. And the state constitution provides that "no land owned by the State shall ever be sold or transferred without reserving in the people the absolute right to fish thereupon."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating the monopoly of lake rights for the homeowners of Lake Arrowhead. What I'm pointing out is that nothing in the Fish and Game Code, or Title 14- Code of Regulations, or the State Constitution gives the public the right to trespass on private property. That's life. You needn't refer me to the Fish and Game Code anymore, as I fully understand how it reads.
If someone trespasses on private property at Arrowhead to reach the state waters, they may or may not be in for a rude awakening. Depends if an ALA employee contacts you and asks for verification that you live there or are a guest. If not, they'll ask you to leave. If you refuse, they'll simply call SBSO.
Put yourself in their shoes. If you owned a lakefront house, and saw someone with a float-tube and fishing rods walking across your property to get to the water what would you do? What would your response be when they said, "The Fish and Game Code says I can fish in state waters, so I'm using your property for access." I think we know the answer to that one.
PS-Good luck finding grass carp in that lake. And all the fish at Arrowhead were once stocked by the DFG -way back before it became privatized. It doesn't change things.

RTG
05-04-2012, 08:53 PM

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION

may be taken."

By the way, you answered your own scenario when you cited the California Constitution; did you notice where it says you can fish upon "public lands"? The part that states "no law shall ever be
lands within this State for the purpose of fishing". Just trying to keep you out of trouble ;)

Skyler
05-06-2012, 11:30 AM
The stream beds they inundated with the dam ARE public lands. The law of trespassing could not be applied in the first place, and the public would have to have reserved easement rights according section 25. Not saying I could care less either way. I wouldn't risk it for a couple of fish. But my time in the Sheriff's Academy did give me a decent skill set when it comes to interpreting laws. So I enjoy arguing loopholes, lol. If you guys want to risk it, feel free. I know I wouldn't.

BTW, you could access the lake from the road at the east end without crossing private property.

SierraPeaks
05-06-2012, 12:01 PM
The snooty ALA pricks have turned me off to Arrowhead. I gladly drive the extra 1/2 hour to Big Bear. But...that's just me.

RTG
05-06-2012, 07:54 PM
The stream beds they inundated with the dam ARE public lands. The law of trespassing could not be applied in the first place, and the public would have to have reserved easement rights according section 25. Not saying I could care less either way. I wouldn't risk it for a couple of fish. But my time in the Sheriff's Academy did give me a decent skill set when it comes to interpreting laws. So I enjoy arguing loopholes, lol. If you guys want to risk it, feel free. I know I wouldn't.

BTW, you could access the lake from the road at the east end without crossing private property.

Well, my current employment in law enforcement (18 + years) begs to differ. Look, I don't work for ALA and I'm not in support of them. I have a working knowledge of the area, and all I'm saying is that there is no way around it. Unless you drop from the sky into the water, you can't help but trespass into that lake. That's life guys. Contact the Twin Peaks Sheriff's office and discuss it with them. All I was trying to do here was attempt to keep some people from a headache. The rich and famous of Lake Arrowhead pay a lot of money to have their private paradise. You want to challenge them and trespass for some good fishing? Geez, go to Big Bear.

Skyler
05-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Lol. I never said I wanted to sneak in and fish it, nor did I advise others that it was good idea (I seem to remember stating the opposite). I was just discussing some theoretical loopholes/grey areas. Be safe out there.

carpanglerdude
05-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Exactly. They settled the case to keep it quiet and prevent further case law from setting precedent. Though I don't think the streams that they dammed to make that lake traditionally held fish, so that may null F&G 5943.

I wish that lawsuit had gone all the way through. It's the San Jacinto River, so maybe it at least held trout. Maybe eventually someone will take this through the courts again. I'll definitely be watching for it, be it Arrowhead or Canyon, etc.

smokehound
05-07-2012, 01:07 AM
there are huge bluegill there just off the docks.. You're freaking lucky to be able to fish here, take pics!

Viejo
05-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Lol. I never said I wanted to sneak in and fish it, nor did I advise others that it was good idea (I seem to remember stating the opposite). I was just discussing some theoretical loopholes/grey areas. Be safe out there.

You sound like my great grandson.

Your skill as an angler and a hunter makes you someone people look up to and emulate on this forum. Now that you carry a badge....the "public behavior and what you say in public " bar is set a bit higher. You not only represent the agency you work with but the profession. I can only imagine your reaction on the street when a jail house lawyer starts in with their analysis of PC and constitutional law on why you shouldn't hook them up.

Skyler
05-07-2012, 08:50 AM
If there is no statute broken or a constitutional right was broken to obtain the evidence, I wouldn't make the hook. Even the worst public defenders would end up getting them off anyway. A lot of guys have a hook em all and let the DA sort it out mentality. I'm not one of them.

smokehound
05-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Lol wow this went way off topic.

Skyler
05-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Yeah, this thread is officially derailed. My job is done here, lol.

DarkShadow
05-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Unless you drop from the sky into the water, you can't help but trespass into that lake.

What if you develop a hover board?

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Technology/pd_hoverboard_tk_120213_main.jpg

I see that as an easier method than dropping from the sky into the water.

Skyler
05-08-2012, 09:56 AM
I think a catapult would do the trick. And just think of all the stocker trout you could catch. Five!

DarkShadow
05-08-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm investigating the legalities of worm holes as well, since you can use them to circumvent private property.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/LorentzianWormhole.jpg/220px-LorentzianWormhole.jpg

Skyler
05-08-2012, 04:43 PM
I'll leave the string theory up to you. I can only count to potato anyway. I'm good with pictures though. Here is a prototype...

http://mikelev.in/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/star-trek-transporters-cant-copy.jpg