PDA

View Full Version : Opener report, SOS

Joshua
05-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Same Old Sh*t

Hit up Lone Pine early Friday. The sandtrap already had a crowd. I bounced an orange trout worm for about a dozen fish. Got bored and more people showing. Did I mention I dont like to fish in a crowd. Remeber this
Hit up the upper Lone Pine Creek. Water is low. This allowed me to fish many spots that are usually blown out with higher flows. I like to hunt the fish and low flows allows this. Caught several rainbows and more browns than in years past. Maybe 4-5 browns in this area.
Hit up Tuttle Creek. Again low flow. Almost too low. This creek needs more water to fish properly. Fished only salmon eggs in the small eddies and the couple of pools that are still there. People kept telling me there were no fish. I guess what I was catching was something other than fish. More rainbows and a couple bonus browns.
Shot over to Independence and fished a section of the upper creek that I had not fished before. This area has some decent water flow and made it a little tougher to get into the fish. Still managed some. Got bored and headed for Symmes Creek
I still havent found a fishable section on this creek. Nice drive down a dusty road. The only thing I have caught in this area is a horny toad. I have yet to make a cast into Symmes creek. If you know where to go on this creek, I would appreciate some info. I have tried 3 different times and cant find the campground refer to in the DFG website

That was the end of the fishing for Friday
OPENER!
Started at Intake II. Several small fish. Bite was on the slow side compared to years past. Ran over to Bishop South Fork at 4 AM> Got an hours sleep then stumbled down to the creek. Started fishing as soon as there was enough light. Steady bite on my hot spot. This is a medium sized pool with trees along one side. It allows for one person to cast. 2 guys, if it is a buddy. This a-hole, walks 3 feet above me and starts casting. I almost lost my mind. He didnt say a damn work at first, just starts casting. This wasnt a kid, but an adult in his late 50s. I had to bite my tongue. Last year I verbally assaulted a guy for doing to same thing to me. I let it go this time. He tried to small talk me, like we were buddies. He also asked to borrow my pliers. You have to be kidding me. You show no etiquette and fish ontop of me, then you need to use my equipment. I couldnt imagine fishing ontop of someone you dont know. CRAZY!!!! I hate fishing in a crowd.
I have taught my nephews and daughter better than this, if they tried something like this I would slap them in the head. Warning: If you feel the need to fish ontop of someone, it would be advised to leave me alone. There is enough water that we dont have to fish a pool someone else is fishing. I am far beyond my fighting days, but I can talk some good smack.
I landed 2 really nice rainbows in the #2+ range. A-hole said he would keep them if I didnt want them. It gave me great joy to release them in front of him.
I took off for home around 7:30 AM. Another opener in the books.
Weather was the best. Fishing , good as usual

phishin phool
05-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the report Joshua, nice job. I feel ya on the crowds, thats why I never fish the opener anymore. I think as I got older it just wasn't worth the headache anymore. Great story bout the pool buster, and the quote "I am far beyond my fighting days, but I can talk some good smack." is classic, nicely done.

FadedOne
05-01-2012, 07:32 PM
It is amazing how some people don't realize that if they are 3 feet above you they are casting right on top of you.

flytyingreloader
05-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Perzactly why I avoid most season openers for fish or game. Total amateur hour/slob session/gridlock on the water. Same story for weekends--I worked a job that had weekdays off for much of my career, and loved that part of the work.

Joshua
05-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Perzactly why I avoid most season openers for fish or game. Total amateur hour/slob session/gridlock on the water.
I compare the trout opener to New years Eve and drinking. New Years Eve brings out the amateur drinker that wants to drink like a seasoned veteran. Usually ends up with vomit, headaches, unexplainable bruises/scratches and broken furniture. I am a retired drinker, but I was exceptionally skilled at drinking.
The Trout opener brings out some hardcore anglers, but invariably so come the amateurs with no idea or respect for the outdoors. They piss in the creeks, throw trash everywhere and fish ontop of people. Mostly from pure ignorance. Last year I scolded a grown man in front of his teen-age boys. After the shock wore off, I think the entire mob considered attacking me. They made the right choice. If I may borrow a line from Toby Keith. "I am as good once, as I ever was". Once I fished out the pool, I moved on to let them cast into a played out pool.

But I wont miss the opener. There is something about sitting in freezing temperatures that reminds me that I am dedicated to the sport of angling. Not to mention the long hours spent in the vehicle. I sometimes question whether it is stupidity, ignorance, dedication or something else that brings me back. I think it best that I dont ponder the question. Simply put, "I love to fish".

See you on the water. have a memorable trout season.

STEVE IN SOCAL
05-07-2012, 02:14 PM
The campground on Symmes creek is long gone. There is one spot on Symmes that they stock...it's about the size of a pick up bed. As soon as the local meat hunters get news that it's been stocked, they clean it out. Not sure why they even bother stocking it.