PDA

View Full Version : 3 days attempting my challenge...Couple new Species

Mr_Dunev
05-01-2012, 12:18 PM
After receiving my challenge, of course the weather starts acting up again, but I tried to still get some time on the sand this week.

Apr 27th

Had plans to meet John (Nipple Twister) at a local AO. I arrived early before 0600 and hit the beach promptly. I quickly notice that it's low tide and the waves are coming in fast, with a short time between sets.:Neutral: I start casting and within 15 min I get my first bite. I know it's a hali, not by the headshakes but how(as usual) I think I snagged a piece of kelp for a few seconds before he wakes up and takes off. My drag is too tight, and with him swimming away and the surge of the swells he comes unbuttoned pretty quickly. I am annoyed but now at least I know they're hungry. :mad:I keep working my way down and 15-20min later I get another bite (in another trench) and this time I make sure my drag is loose. Pretty soon a wave pulls my line sideways and another fish comes unbuttoned. :Angry: This time I shout profanity to the heavens:Censored:, but I quickly regain my cool and try and stay positive. I continue moving my way down and about the same time as the last 2 I get my 3rd and final hit for the day. My drag is Juuuuust Riiiiight, and this time I keep my rod tip up the entire time, and quickly bring in a nice 19" with very healthy fins and tail. As I am landing the fish I turn and see John walking up with a big smile.:Big Smile:

Here he is caught at 0655 Looking very healthy. Only took 3 tries!!!
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0378.jpg
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0375.jpg

I continued fishing for a couple hours, but had no more love for the day. First 2 bites were on Sardine pattern, the last was on my Shazam (red/gold) ima lure.

Apr 29th

Decided to try a new AO I found on google maps, but not in unfamiliar territory. The day before I noticed going through all my photos that I NEVER catch a fish past 0900 (or almost never) So I am decide to start showing up closer to 0500 for a while and see if I have any success in the dark (haven't had any yet). I arrive at the location to find the beach VERY steep, with lots and lots of Sandcrab beds. The shore pound is bad enough that I have to move back about 15-20ft everytime I cast to avoid the BIG waves. I work the area for about 30min after exploring a little, and in the crest of a wave I get a small hit. It puts up a great fight for such a little guy, and quickly pull in a 10" Smelt :Skunk: BUSTER.
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0385.jpg
I keep fishing for a while, but decide to move on and away from the heavy shore pound. My next beach is close by and I arrive 10 min later. Lots of kelp but somewhat manageable. I end up snagging this little fella, who was pretty much dead and almost ripped in half.
0734 Shoulda gotten my spiny lobster card! haha
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0386.jpg

Shortly after Dan (SP Dan) and Sid (Sidified) show up. We all have a quick chat and they decide to head south for fishier waters. I stay and decide to keep moving down the beach. At one point I am fishing next to a Bait and Waiter, and end up hooking something BIG that feels like a Halibut which takes me under his line, but I lose it a few minutes into the fight, after catching a glimpse of a flattie tail. But who knows I only saw it for a split second, and I lost him when he decided to wake up and dive back down. :Angry: I almost threw my rod I was so angry. But I took a deep breath and kept fishing. The time was 0930, I jinxed myself saying no fish past 0900 but oh well.

May 1st

Arrived at my AO around 0515 and hit the water, finding big waves....AGAIN:Neutral: I knew this week wasn't going to have the best conditions but some of my best days have been when I least expected them. I work my way down the beach for an hour, taking salad off my lure 95% of the time. I get to a hole and work it for a bit, when I get my first bite. The night before I changed ALL my damaged/old hooks (7 hooks on 4 lures), so I DON'T lose another fish. 3 fish in 2 trips is unacceptable:mad: It feels like a perch, but when I get him into the whitewash I can see he is darker, but still perch shaped:Confused: I bring him in, and have absolutely no idea what it is! He was almost a foot long, and seemed to grow slightly lighter in color when I took him out of the water. He also had shiny blue spots on his face, hard to see in the photos.

0618 a new species. I have a couple ideas of what it might be (thanks Arthur) but If anyone knows for sure I would appreciate the input.
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0389.jpg
CLOSE UP
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0390.jpg

I keep fishing around, and finally decide to start heading back to the car. As I am less than 50yrds away I get a NICE hit on my Sardine with red belly ima. I am being extra careful, with all my fish since my last couple mistakes. I am keeping my drag lighter than normal, but keeping my rod tip elevated higher. After a LONG 15min I bring in my first Smooth Hound Shark, another new species for me.

A nice lady walking her dog stopped to take a photo for me. 0830
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0392.jpg

Tried to take a picture with tape, but he wouldn't stop moving. Ended up being about 30"
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0394.jpg

Since I finally found another fish I decided to take my sweet time going back to my car. 30min later, I get another bite which feels like another perch, but am happily surprised to find a shortie on my line.
0858 he had a teeny tiny tail, compared to the one I caught a few days ago. IMHO not a very healthy looking specimen. Probably because he thought he was a perch:LOL:
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/tammyn77/IMG_0395.jpg

Stayed another 30min before calling it a day. 2 New species and a short 'butt was a nice way to end off

Hope everyone gets a chance to hit the sand soon,
Lucas

Tammyn77
05-01-2012, 12:44 PM
That perch is one funny lookin fish:LOL: good job on your new species! I'll join you next time!

bones
05-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Wow Lucas.....If the SWAT challenge was to catch WEIRD fish and stuff you would already have earned your cap but as I remember I was standing next to you in the surf and you said...." I will put a 30" halibut on the sand in 30 days!" You pretty much set your own SWAT qualifying Flattie size but we gave you a small break...LOL....... Poseidon always has a way of feeding even the most experienced fisherman a piece of humble pie every now and then but as I told you the other day.....Patience will ALWAYS prevail !

Keep at it Mr. D !!

KaliDawgFan
05-01-2012, 02:36 PM
That perch kind of looks like a buttermouth perch to me.

smokehound
05-01-2012, 04:26 PM
nice black perch, that's the first time i've seen one of those caught with a lure.

That's like the one I caught from NPH.. were you guys in Long beach?

Wingnut
05-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Adding new species to your ever growing list Lucas. :Big Grin: I'm pretty sure that's a Buttermouth or Rubberlip Perch. When you were describing it to me I thought it might be a Opaleye. The hardest fighting Perch IMO is the Zebra Perch.
Strange how the bite kind of shut off for the target species. :Neutral: But I'm sure with the water temp. going in the right direction, I will go off again any time. :Wink: The latest intel is a strong juvenile WSB bite going on out there somewhere. :Secret: I'm sure there will be some big boys cruising with the pack as well. :Twisted:
Keep up the good work out there, your determination is quite inspiring. :Cool:

troublehook
05-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Nice job on your mission man, I'm sure you're gonna catch that "money" fish very soon! :Wink:

Which Way Out
05-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Anyone want to bet Tammyn77 gets a bigger one then him?:Wink:

Lucas, I don't know what to say. The last time I wrote that line it was when Arthur was on a tear. Comments can't keep up.
So just keep at it, before you know it summer will be over and --------- :Twisted:. Dude you know by now I not gonna just hand it to ya. Remember what Bones said?

You'll get it when you least expect it and I hope Tammy is there to see it.
Good luck Buddy

WWO

DockRat
05-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Good job on the mixed species.

Here is some of the various Perch pics below.
Are Black Perch, Butterlips, Buttermouths the same ?

DR

Black perch are also called black surfperch and butterlips. In spite of their name, black perch, these fish are rarely, if ever, black. Their coloration can be orange, red, gray, green, various shades of brown, and other colors.

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/onlinelearningcenter/species/black_perch

http://www.oceanlight.com/lightbox.php?x=sea_perch_%28embiotocidae%29__marin e_fish__fish__animal

Not LB SH, surf and clean sand.
LB Pic :Shocked:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b275/SeanFors/b0c537d3.jpg

flyngby
05-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Lucas,

Again you have spent more time on the beach this weekend than I have in 4 months this year. :Bawling:

Looks like you had a great but frustrating time out there now that you are into the "Challenge" I would assume you challenge is the same as everyone else. Amazing how hard it is to pull out a fish that seems so small after your nicer PB! :Explode:

Congrats on all the new species but spending $ on the "Bug Card " would be useless since they cannot be taken by pole and line and only by net? Could you imagine the price of Spiney Lobster if it was only legal to catch on a pole!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to that day!

Steve
http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/Senorita.jpg

SP Dan
05-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Lucas the Dude!

It was good to see you the other day and what a surprise to see Sid standing there with you!
That spot where I finally hooked up with you was a real "soup and salad" location! In fact.....the entire area (North and South of your AO) had huge crashing breakers, the same brown water and a terrible weed condition! YUK!! :mad: Stripped weed from my lure after every dawg on cast!

After visiting with you Lucas....Sid and I headed down to another AO approx 40 miles away to be met by stellar conditions...and Sid landed a sweet lil' healthy 20 1/2" hali at approx 1200 hrs! We had also just missed hooking up with MR. Bones at our last AO. We will hook it up next time Mike!
It was a good day to be in the sand and to share some time with you Lucas.....and other friends as well!

Congrat's on your new species my friend! :Thumbs Up:

Thanx for the fun read with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

sidified
05-01-2012, 10:25 PM
It was good to meet you at the AO Mr. D....Arthur is spot on...the enthusiasm you exude is motivating to us all.. Keep it up!

Newfishsmell
05-01-2012, 10:30 PM
the enthusiasm you exude is motivating to us all.. Keep it up!

I second that !

Keep up the good work, and good things will happen .

Great report

bachiboy
05-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Helluva nice job on the variety there Mr. D. Don't let the mishaps get you down, it'll come soon enough. AND don't throw your rod away...that would be considered an "Amare Stoudemire" (gotta be a basketball fan to understand that one.:LOL:).

Enjoy yourself out there!
Don

dlmoo312
05-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Nice job on those fish! Its always a good feeling when you land a new species. I'll be looking forward to your reports while i'm stuck indoors for these next few weeks. Goodluck out there i'm rootin' for you :Thumbs Up:

keepemlo
05-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Dunev dunev ,my friend

I've been out a while ,but now I'm back ,and now I read your report,your catching everything in the sea!
You are so driven ,,I'm glad to see your success,,your catching halibuts so consistently,,happy for ya
See ya out there lotsofbites

bloox8
05-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Lucas.... You always seem to be pulling out all sorts of fish from the surf :LOL:

Youre like a random fish magnet! What type of technique are you using!?!?!?

Anyways!.. Keep up the quest for the "challenge" fish! I know you're going to get something crazy soon. And hopefully it'll be the 30 incher that you've been looking for. Eyes on the Prize my friend!

I'll finally be done with finals on the 18th so leave some fish back for me, K?

Thien

Jaysuuun
05-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Always cool to catch something new. A lobster on the hardbait? LOL That's a first. Nice job out there. Looking forward to your "Mission Accomplished" report.

Mr_Dunev
05-04-2012, 12:51 PM
That perch is one funny lookin fish:LOL: good job on your new species! I'll join you next time!

Thanks babe, Want to come with me tomorrow!? I think it's time for your first hali:Big Grin:

Wow Lucas.....If the SWAT challenge was to catch WEIRD fish and stuff you would already have earned your cap but as I remember I was standing next to you in the surf and you said...." I will put a 30" halibut on the sand in 30 days!" You pretty much set your own SWAT qualifying Flattie size but we gave you a small break...LOL....... Poseidon always has a way of feeding even the most experienced fisherman a piece of humble pie every now and then but as I told you the other day.....Patience will ALWAYS prevail !

Keep at it Mr. D !!

Wait the SWAT challenge ISN'T to catch weird fish!? Why didn't you say so!? Don't worry I am sticking to my guns, and aiming high to complete my challenge. I have taken a couple days to recover, but I will be back on the sand in full force before you know it, hopefully putting some nice notches on my belt.
As always staying patient and enjoying myself first and foremost,
Lucas

That perch kind of looks like a buttermouth perch to me.

Yeah it's got a few names but it looks like it IS a buttermouth or black perch.
Thanks for the input,
Lucas

nice black perch, that's the first time i've seen one of those caught with a lure.

That's like the one I caught from NPH.. were you guys in Long beach?
Not Long Beach, a little farthur north into LA county. He must have strayed from his normal feeding grounds to find me :LOL:

Adding new species to your ever growing list Lucas. :Big Grin: I'm pretty sure that's a Buttermouth or Rubberlip Perch. When you were describing it to me I thought it might be a Opaleye. The hardest fighting Perch IMO is the Zebra Perch.
Strange how the bite kind of shut off for the target species. :Neutral: But I'm sure with the water temp. going in the right direction, I will go off again any time. :Wink: The latest intel is a strong juvenile WSB bite going on out there somewhere. :Secret: I'm sure there will be some big boys cruising with the pack as well. :Twisted:
Keep up the good work out there, your determination is quite inspiring. :Cool:

Don't worry I'll try to land a Zebra Perch soon, and give you my input on the toughest perch award. Haha, some of those big BSP perch put up quite a fight, and had me stumped wondering what I was reeling in. I am looking forward to getting some more of the target species. Everytime I take a couple days off the hali hunt, I feel like I forget what they feel like. But once I hook one up, it all comes rushing back to me :Smile:
I keep hearing about the WSB bite, and hopefully Poseidon will give me a nice one sometime in the future.
Glad I could inspire my inspiration.
Lucas

Nice job on your mission man, I'm sure you're gonna catch that "money" fish very soon! :Wink:

Thanks, I hope I catch one soon too. Love the feeling of putting a "nice" one on the sand. It's a great sense of accomplishment, and will be even more so, when it's my challenge fish.

Anyone want to bet Tammyn77 gets a bigger one then him?:Wink:

Lucas, I don't know what to say. The last time I wrote that line it was when Arthur was on a tear. Comments can't keep up.
So just keep at it, before you know it summer will be over and --------- :Twisted:. Dude you know by now I not gonna just hand it to ya. Remember what Bones said?

You'll get it when you least expect it and I hope Tammy is there to see it.
Good luck Buddy

WWO

It would be awesome if Tammy's first blows my PB out of the water! I can imagine how big her smile would be :Big Smile: and all the bragging rights she would have earned.:Neener Neener:

haha thanks Bill, I remember! We'll talk soon,
Lucas

Good job on the mixed species.

Here is some of the various Perch pics below.
Are Black Perch, Butterlips, Buttermouths the same ?

DR

Black perch are also called black surfperch and butterlips. In spite of their name, black perch, these fish are rarely, if ever, black. Their coloration can be orange, red, gray, green, various shades of brown, and other colors.

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/onlinelearningcenter/species/black_perch

http://www.oceanlight.com/lightbox.php?x=sea_perch_%28embiotocidae%29__marin e_fish__fish__animal

Not LB SH, surf and clean sand.
LB Pic :Shocked:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b275/SeanFors/b0c537d3.jpg

Thanks Martin,
That site was very helpful and it removed any doubt about it being a black perch. That LB pic is NASTY, unfortunately it's not an exaggeration.
Thanks again,
Lucas

Lucas,

Again you have spent more time on the beach this weekend than I have in 4 months this year. :Bawling:

Looks like you had a great but frustrating time out there now that you are into the "Challenge" I would assume you challenge is the same as everyone else. Amazing how hard it is to pull out a fish that seems so small after your nicer PB! :Explode:

Congrats on all the new species but spending $ on the "Bug Card " would be useless since they cannot be taken by pole and line and only by net? Could you imagine the price of Spiney Lobster if it was only legal to catch on a pole!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to that day!

Steve
http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/Senorita.jpg

Thanks Steve,

You sounds like you need to hit the sand soon! Just shoot me a PM if your in the area. If lobsters were only by hook and line, it would be $99/lbs haha, and then they would be my target species! haha I would sell my catches to some fancy Beverly Hills Resturaunt, and finance many future fishing trips:Secret:

My Challenge fish isn't exactly the same, but don't worry I'll try to put one on the sand soon.
Thanks,
Lucas

Lucas the Dude!

It was good to see you the other day and what a surprise to see Sid standing there with you!
That spot where I finally hooked up with you was a real "soup and salad" location! In fact.....the entire area (North and South of your AO) had huge crashing breakers, the same brown water and a terrible weed condition! YUK!! :mad: Stripped weed from my lure after every dawg on cast!

After visiting with you Lucas....Sid and I headed down to another AO approx 40 miles away to be met by stellar conditions...and Sid landed a sweet lil' healthy 20 1/2" hali at approx 1200 hrs! We had also just missed hooking up with MR. Bones at our last AO. We will hook it up next time Mike!
It was a good day to be in the sand and to share some time with you Lucas.....and other friends as well!

Congrat's on your new species my friend! :Thumbs Up:

Thanx for the fun read with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

It was good seeing you soon, and meeting Sid was a pleasant surprise as well. The conditions can be tough at that AO, but the rewards are WELL worth it. I am glad you guys had better success down south. We will spend more time on the sand soon, buddy.

Until next time,
Lucas

It was good to meet you at the AO Mr. D....Arthur is spot on...the enthusiasm you exude is motivating to us all.. Keep it up!
Thanks Sid,
Like I said before, it was great meeting you. I am sure I will see you again soon! Next time we will both get on some nice fish.
Best,
Lucas

I second that !

Keep up the good work, and good things will happen .

Great report

Thanks,

Your reports, are always some of the most fish filled. They too make me want to get out and catch more. Glad you enjoyed the report.
Lucas

Helluva nice job on the variety there Mr. D. Don't let the mishaps get you down, it'll come soon enough. AND don't throw your rod away...that would be considered an "Amare Stoudemire" (gotta be a basketball fan to understand that one.:LOL:).

Enjoy yourself out there!
Don

Haha thanks Don,

I'm glad I didn't throw it. It took a lot of restraint, but luckily I have some self control :EyePop: No more Stoudimire's for me!
Best,
Lucas

Nice job on those fish! Its always a good feeling when you land a new species. I'll be looking forward to your reports while i'm stuck indoors for these next few weeks. Goodluck out there i'm rootin' for you :Thumbs Up:

Yeah I love getting the fish close enough, and not having any idea what I am looking down at! Hopefully you can find sometime to sneak out in the next couple weeks, I would love to see another nice legal from you soon.
Thanks again!

Dunev dunev ,my friend

I've been out a while ,but now I'm back ,and now I read your report,your catching everything in the sea!
You are so driven ,,I'm glad to see your success,,your catching halibuts so consistently,,happy for ya
See ya out there lotsofbites

Hey Stan,

It's been a while, been wondering where you have been hiding. I look forward to the day when we share the sand again together. Your positive attitude is always encouraging when I feel the bite is slow. Let me know when you go back out again.
Lucas

Lucas.... You always seem to be pulling out all sorts of fish from the surf :LOL:

Youre like a random fish magnet! What type of technique are you using!?!?!?

Anyways!.. Keep up the quest for the "challenge" fish! I know you're going to get something crazy soon. And hopefully it'll be the 30 incher that you've been looking for. Eyes on the Prize my friend!

I'll finally be done with finals on the 18th so leave some fish back for me, K?

Thien

Haha thanks Thien,

My technique is called the "slow retrieve" :Secret: don't tell anyone though!!!!
I know my fish will come eventually, I just need to be patient and try to fish like you! Your the one who pulls out a nice fish EVERTIME you go out. If I had your %'s I would have landed landed all the fish in CA by now. Good luck on your finals, I hope you get straight A's. No promises on the fish though, they don't listen to me very often haha.
lucas

Always cool to catch something new. A lobster on the hardbait? LOL That's a first. Nice job out there. Looking forward to your "Mission Accomplished" report.

Thanks, unfortunately It wasn't a "fair hook" but one day who knows? I'm going to try to put more time on the sand next week, and maybe it will be my "Mission Accomplished" if I'm lucky.
Thanks for your support!
Lucas

murrieta angler
05-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Hey lucas,
Nice assortment of fish.
That butterlip is cool looking..:Cool:
Robert
<><