PDA

View Full Version : Carp question

Calhoun
05-01-2012, 07:20 AM
I have never ate Carp. I think I would not like it. A few breed of people seem to fish for it and eat it. I kinda hope I would like it because there's lots to be caught where I fish. I caught a few, gave them away (1 was 16 lbs!). I'm posting here for any suggestions on how to cook them, from cleaning, storing, etc.
Thanks
Gary

DockRat
05-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Here is a good video.
You can make belts and purses too.
DR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gi0dYjbrJs

old pudd fisher
05-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Here is a good video.
You can make belts and purses too.
DR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gi0dYjbrJs

Belts, Purses and Fertilizer sounds good to me. A pink pole and reel might help catching a big one for a large Purse. Just joking DR it looks tasty with no bones.

etucker1959
05-02-2012, 10:05 PM
That was a really good video, thanks for sharing.

Kyle B
05-02-2012, 10:34 PM
that video made me want to try it......but it seems like less work to beat them over the head a few times and throw them in the bushes

carpanglerdude
05-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Get them from clean water (Big Bear Lake, not LA River) and they'll probably taste fine. Carp is commonly eaten in many other countries; people used to eat carp in the USA. It wasn't until waterways became so polluted during the Industrial Revolution that people noticed how hardy carp were, surviving in the scum, and eventually began to associate carp with dirty water that they stopped eating 'em over here. They just happen to be tough fish!

bman90278
05-03-2012, 05:34 AM
Get them from clean water (Big Bear Lake, not LA River) and they'll probably taste fine. Carp is commonly eaten in many other countries; people used to eat carp in the USA. It wasn't until waterways became so polluted during the Industrial Revolution that people noticed how hardy carp were, surviving in the scum, and eventually began to associate carp with dirty water that they stopped eating 'em over here. They just happen to be tough fish!

The DFG did a multi-year study at most of the city lakes and larger lakes. Carp had very high levels of DDT's and PCB's. You should really be concerned about eating carp.

-b

CraigH
05-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Looks like the secret is to cut out the half of the fillet that is anywhere close to the bloodline, and don't forget to keep the gonads for Christmas soup.

I'm gonna look stylish with my new carp skin tackle bag and matching pliers sheath.

smokehound
05-03-2012, 08:45 AM
The DFG did a multi-year study at most of the city lakes and larger lakes. Carp had very high levels of DDT's and PCB's. You should really be concerned about eating carp.

-bThat does depend on locality and age of the fish, though. I bet a carp from Big bear Lake tastes good.

Skyler
05-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Protip: Use a hacksaw to fillet them. The bones are too resilient for a fillet knife. Also, remove the bloodline and soak the meat in milk for a day before cooking.

christainmetalhead909
05-03-2012, 08:36 PM
that video made me want to try it......but it seems like less work to beat them over the head a few times and throw them in the bushes

lol thats what I have done

smokehound
05-04-2012, 05:50 AM
I advise against throwing away carp like that. You'll get a nice fine for that. Desirable or not, they are game fish, and wasting a game fish is illegal..

Chunk it up for kittie bait!

DarkShadow
05-04-2012, 08:54 AM
I advise against throwing away carp like that. You'll get a nice fine for that. Desirable or not, they are game fish, and wasting a game fish is illegal..

I'm not throwing it away.

I'm just marinating them in dirt overnight, hoping that the raccoons and coyotes won't get to them first.

TUNAVIC
05-04-2012, 09:58 AM
I guess like most fish it's all about preparation,I know alot of people who say bonito and barracuda are only good for fertilizer,I have a couple of friends who felt that way until I made them some and now they love both species.

Cya Tuna Vic

Carptain_Bao
05-04-2012, 10:38 AM
I guess it's illegal to use em as kitty bait either,unless u are talking bout some real kitties

LGHT
05-04-2012, 01:04 PM
I guess it's illegal to use em as kitty bait either,unless u are talking bout some real kitties

Are you saying it's illegal to use them for "catfish" bait? They work great as chum after being fed through the grinder.

LGHT
05-04-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm not throwing it away.

I'm just marinating them in dirt overnight, hoping that the raccoons and coyotes won't get to them first.

I can totally see how that would probably improve the taste of them!

DarkShadow
05-04-2012, 01:35 PM
I can totally see how that would probably improve the taste of them!

On a serious note, I was actually told by someone that if you place carp in a bath tub for 3 or 4 days with clean water, it 'cleanses them,' and they don't taste as bad.

Now, call me silly, but if I have to forgo taking a bath for 3 or 4 days because there's some nasty fish swimming in my tub, isn't that enough reason to assume carp aren't the best tasting fish?

Or soaking it in milk? Why not soak it in sugar and spice and everything nice and cook it that way?

Dr. MindBendo
05-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Just wrap them in bacon; The only meat that makes other meat taste better. :Spam:

Carptain_Bao
05-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Are you saying it's illegal to use them for "catfish" bait? They work great as chum after being fed through the grinder.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say.Ive asked about using freshwater fish as Catfish bait,but people are telling me it is illegal,check out the dfg regulations.

Skyler
05-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Actually, carp are not a gamefish. They are classified as a non-game species. Hence why we can bowfish for them. However, gamefish or not, you still can't just toss fish...

1.87. WASTE OF FISH.
It is unlawful to cause or permit any deterioration or waste of any fish taken in the waters of this state.

Key word, "any."

Carptain_Bao
05-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Actually, carp are not a gamefish. They are classified as a non-game species. Hence why we can bowfish for them. However, gamefish or not, you still can't just toss fish...

1.87. WASTE OF FISH.
It is unlawful to cause or permit any deterioration or waste of any fish taken in the waters of this state.

Key word, "any."

lol some dude does that at belvedere park all the time, he gets the trout on and leave them on the pavement and hoping others will take em

smokehound
05-04-2012, 04:38 PM
...My brain hasn't been right since this infection =(

I still feel kinda bad when I see such a big carp tossed away like that.. it's such a waste!

If only these things didn't screw lakes up so bad, they would be awesome. If they didn't poop everything they ate out 30 minutes later, they would be great for lakes.

christainmetalhead909
05-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Just wrap them in bacon; The only meat that makes other meat taste better. :Spam:

bacon can make anything taste good!!!!!!! haha

Mike274
05-12-2012, 02:07 AM
Never liked Carp but a buddy gave me a great recipe if you insist on eating them. You clean the carp and marinate in buttermilk overnight. Then you get a good cedar plank, place the carp on the plank, and cook it at 300 for about 2hrs. When finished cooking you are very close to the finished product.

The final step is very critical so pay attention. Remove the carp from the plank, throw it in the trash and eat the plank! That's about as good as it gets.

Mike

Ifishtoolittle
05-12-2012, 02:38 AM
For you guys that intentionally kill carp and leave them to rot at least offer the fish to someone who wants it or actually confirm that something will eat it. Like smokehound is saying it's a total waste to just kill such an awesome fighting fish and not make any use of it.

DockRat
05-12-2012, 05:45 AM
Belts, Purses and Fertilizer sounds good to me.

Type ' Carp Leather ' or ' Carp Skin ' in Ebay.
Nice colors of the skins.

M@M
05-18-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm going to Big Bear Monday... I think I might try catching and eating one...??

blackberg
05-18-2012, 11:41 AM
may be going up to big bear on monday too, was thinking of setting up for carp to catch on line and hook since my bow is being serviced
-bb

DarkShadow
05-18-2012, 01:23 PM
...or actually confirm that something will eat it...

I've seen a raccoon eat a bag of Cheetos at Castaic Lagoon.

http://www.tylershields.com/images/art/raccoon-eating-cheetos.jpg