PDA

View Full Version : 4/29/12 - 4/30/12

Matt_Magnone
04-30-2012, 09:09 PM
took my little brother out yesterday to nail some green bass. get to one of my A spots and after a quick little demonstration on the texas rig, he casts out and as im getting my stuff tied he sets the hook on a 5 / 6 pounder. totally stoked. all he could say was "holy#$%& damn... holy %^&&" haha. good stuff. little basstard had 3 before i got my first! left that spot after about 20 minutes with 6 or 7 fish between us and hit my secondary spot. fished moved off the bank and found them out in 35-40. first cast on the spot with the texas rig, i felt a little bit of pressure with the worm damn near vertical. set up on the fish and the rod never gave. fish dogged me for a while and finally showed herself. fish ended up being around 10 pounds. he has never seen a bass bigger than maybe 6 pounds up close. such a perfect situation to get a kid pumped on fishing. what are the odds? he catches his biggest fish on his first cast to DVL then gets to see a good one. anwyay, let her go then he and i worked down the bank for a while with some more fish. nothing over 4 pounds. for the rest of the day i was dishing a lot of information on him about what i look for to find fish under a variety of conditions. shadow lines, edges, tree lines and ledges... yadda yadda. at around 1PM he started getting it under control understanding my rhythm of run and gun fishing. get to a spot, jump up grab a rod, drop the trolling motor and if you weren't bit in 3-5 casts hit a new area. once he got it handled we were bouncing around the lake FAST. every spot we hit he caught at least 1-2 fish. proud of him?! HECK YEAH I AM!!!! im so stoked for him to be showing an interest in fishing. gonna get this kid to fish some tournaments with me!! anyway we caught fish all day shaking worms and dropshotting. bite was great in the morning then slowed mid day picking up again in the afternoon when the tsunami hit.

fish count- 30-40 with big fish around 10
depth - 0-40'
technique- texas, senko, drop shot
colors- anything green pumpkin, watermelon, or clear
areas- anything fishy.

-----------------------------------------------------

today hit the lake. decided not to wanna wait in line so i showed up around 7:30. smooth sailing right through. launched and idled out past the " no boats" bouys and shut her down. had nothing rigged on the rods so i spent some time getting all my ducks in a row. after 15 minutes or so i drop the motor and start getting after it. see a nice shade line and skip a senko out into it and after probably a 30 count saw the line start shooting. get her up and is around 3 pounds. go a little further and the trolling motor just dies. checked the plug, checked the switch then went back to the batteries to check fuses. well one of the inline fuses was blown. water was real nasty yesterday with some BIG rollers. water over the bow coming from the west end. one of the fuses to the trolling motor rattled loose and generated a bunch of heat back by the batteries and melted through the connector and blew the fuse. no fuses left on the boat so i pulled out after 20 minutes and 1 fish and drove it to the tackle shop to work on it. connector was in a spot i couldnt check on the water. worked on it at the shop for a while and said screw it, i'll just run home. get home and had it fixed in 20 minutes. rewired an in line fuse connector, put the fuse in and bingo back in business.

THERE'S NO SUBSTITUTE FOR BOAT MAINTENANCE. TAKE IT FROM ME. YOU CANT GO OUT 4 DAYS A WEEK AND EXPECT NOTHING TO HAPPEN. KEEP UP YOUR STUFF AND IT WILL KEEP YOU ON THE WATER!!!! lesson learned.

bite is getting really good guys. fish are all over and there are A LOT of hungry 1-3 pounders on the bank. this years gonna be good i can feel it!

riverside_angler
04-30-2012, 10:00 PM
thanks for the report. I totally get the feeling of having your little bro on the boat with you having a blast. Way to stick the donkey!

ddoskocil
05-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Way to go Matt. I feel ya on the boat. Luckily ours was still just fuel related, minor stuff. Be back out there soon. Thanks for all the reports.