PDA

View Full Version : Rpt-Sun-04-29-12 La Jolla Tail Chasing.

Tunaslam
04-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Fishing Sun. 4-29-12, with Lal on his 18’ boat: The “Rubber Ducky”. I met Lal at his house in Cerritos at 5am. We headed down to Dana Landing in Mission Bay. We launched out of Dana at 7:00 am, our target being the Yellowtail being caught in La Jolla.

We stopped at EB for a sweet Half Scoop of dynamite Sardines. The weather forecast of 4 to 6 knots was more like 8 to 10. As we exited the Harbor, the seas were confused, with large swells. It was an OK ride out to La Jolla, except for the deep marine layer and nip in the air. I was expecting shorts and T-shirt weather, darn!

Arriving in the La Jolla area in about 20 minutes, there were numerous other private boaters already fishing, yet a distinct absence of Sport Boats, particularly the San Diego, star of the Yellowtail frenzy?

We were pleased with the water temps at 61.7 degrees and the water clarity, which was quite clear, although an off color grey/green. However, for inshore water, this was great. We began slow trolling Sardines, which by the way were extraordinary, slimy green and perfect size.

We spent the next six hours covering every square inch of the targeted area. We covered 15 total miles at 2-3 knots, looking for any signs of Yellowtail. We never saw a bait school on the meter, we never saw a bird school working, or any meter marks that even remotely looked like Yellowtail. The area was loaded with kelp stringers, constantly tangling our trolled baits. Of course Bowser added a few moments of discontent, by chewing our sardines in half, although that only happened a few times. Where is that Great White when you need him?

The chatter on the radio was non-existent. A number of times we asked if anyone even saw a Yellowtail, let alone caught one. No bragging rights today, I guess? Total silence, I guess no one was home, although we witnessed about 10 remaining diehards by noon?

At 10am the winds were 10-12, by 11am, they were 12-15. I’m not sure I’ve ever witnessed a Southwest wind in this area? Goofy and continued confused seas were prevalent. The swells at times exceeded six feet and were very close together.

Given conditions were deteriorating even further we yelled Uncle and called it a day at 1pm. Up until our last hurrah, I was tasting that Hamachi Sashimi, yikes not today. We gave it our best effort, can’t ask for much more. Next time! The ride back to the Harbor was not comfortable, making only 11 knots uphill, or sideways, could not tell as the seas seemed to head in different directions, although the Ducky kept us dry.

Thanks Lal, another adventure on the Rubber Ducky!

Hook up! Cory

Armofisher818
04-29-2012, 10:36 PM
That's the way fishing is you still made the effort to do out there in 15 knot winds great job a skunk always comes back with a trophy. Now if I can only find a trophy for my 5 month skunk and counting :(

DockRat
04-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Great effort. Heard on the radio today that the squid re-appeared at Catalina.
Chasing Ghosts in the near future ?
DR

JapanRon
04-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Hi Tunaslam,

Squid at Catalina ..... just what ya wanted to hear right ?!!! Arghhhhhhhhhhh Lal has been jonesin' for a shot at the Catalina WSB and Yellows .... maybe you guys can do a back to back effort soon.

Great detail on effort appreciated.

JapanRon

lip rippin sob
04-30-2012, 11:38 AM
same story for me.