PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Fishing

sashimi
04-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Hey all you long rangers. Anybody have thoughts on a 3 day vs 5 day trip? Anybody have recommendations as far as boats? Just starting to look into this. Any info is greatly appreciated.

halijedi
04-24-2007, 01:20 AM
If you fish a 3 day, you will most likely be targeting albies, yellows and yft early in the year at the "dumping grounds." On a 5 day, Guadalupe is the most likely destination. The bigger 3 digit YFT usually show up later in the year (fall). There are plenty of yellows and some big *** calicos as well. Good luck with the great whites out there. All I can suggest is to stow way the wimp fighting belt and learn to use the rail if you want your fish in one piece.

As for boats, a lot of the higher end LONG range boats such as the Royal Star, Royal Polaris, Q105, Shogun etc... have shorter trips scheduled before getting into the really long trips during the fall-spring bite on the cows.

I personally like the crew of the Royal Star. Young, energetic and very up to date guys with kick *** work ethics. These guys really know their stuff and the boat is just awesome. Just stay away from the Q105 and the Excel for the shorter trips, you will be in for a LONG boat ride. Good luck.

King Halibut
04-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Sashimi,

I went on a 5 day last year on the Polaris Supreme. Lousy weather but Captain Drew still put us on fish every day!
This is Tommy Rothery's boat and he and the crew are great. The grub can't be beat, you won't go hungry. I had a chance to talk to him both before and after our trip and he truely cares that people catch fish on his boat.
I highly recommend the Polaris Supreme!

King Halibut

sashimi
04-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I am leaning towards a 5 day to have a shot at the triple digit stuff.

Nessie Hunter
04-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I am leaning towards a 5 day to have a shot at the triple digit stuff.

Henry, it is early in the season.. So keep an eye on the water temps buddy..

Dont waste the $$ if they are not up to at least high 60's+... And watch the counts on the long range boats..

There are some good temp breaks starting to come up Baja now.. if they just keep coming we are in for a stellar year ...

fish4keep
04-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Personally I would forget the 5 day and do a fly down trip....

sashimi
04-25-2007, 04:04 PM

I hear you, but I want to try at least once for a triple digit yellow or have a legitimate shot at Wahoo.

sashimi
04-25-2007, 04:04 PM

Henry, it is early in the season.. So keep an eye on the water temps buddy..

Dont waste the $$ if they are not up to at least high 60's+... And watch the counts on the long range boats..

There are some good temp breaks starting to come up Baja now.. if they just keep coming we are in for a stellar year ...

Thanks for the info Frank. Good talking to you on Sat.. Is it Sept yet!!!!

H

fish4keep
04-25-2007, 09:53 PM

I hear you, but I want to try at least once for a triple digit yellow or have a legitimate shot at Wahoo.

I think for those (yft and hoo) you'll need to go on longer trips. :?:

fuj
04-26-2007, 01:32 AM
Hey all you long rangers. Anybody have thoughts on a 3 day vs 5 day trip? Anybody have recommendations as far as boats? Just starting to look into this. Any info is greatly appreciated.

IMHO, if you can afford it, do the five or longer, especially if you want a shot at a 100#+ tuna. Unless you've got a good reason for going on a three-day (like a good charter group), I'd say to spend that money on a couple of shorter trips instead, like two 2-days or 2 and 1.5 day trips.

halijedi
04-26-2007, 01:37 AM

I think for those (yft and hoo) you'll need to go on longer trips. :?:

Minimum 10 days to Alijo's Rocks for 'hoos and usually best during late summer into fall.

Daus
04-26-2007, 07:02 PM
I agree with Halijedi. You won't have a legitimate shot at any wahoos on a 5-day unless it's a strong el nino year. You might get them on an 8 day at Alijo during the fall. The longer the trip.. less quantity but better quality. 5-days are great cause you have a shot at some big yellowfin and yellowtail at Guadalupe and you'll catch a ton of fish.

sashimi
04-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Hey Guys, Again, thanks for the info. I am trying to get as much experience and advice as possible as I have not done this before. your info is greatly appreciated.

sashimi
04-27-2007, 10:28 AM
So it sounds like 5 days are a min for geting into fish over a hundred pounds. I guess the common run for the 5 dyas is the "loop". I will probably have a wait a few years for the 10 day trip :(

fish4keep
04-27-2007, 12:16 PM
So it sounds like 5 days are a min for geting into fish over a hundred pounds. I guess the common run for the 5 dyas is the "loop". I will probably have a wait a few years for the 10 day trip :(

Not a min..... You could get a BET on 1-2 days, not much but could happen. It's just the longer the trip, the higher percentage of getting a 3 digit fish.

If you have the $$$ and want to experience it then go for it. That's what it's all about. You'll never know until you try it out..................

Soakin Bait
04-27-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm going out on the Dominator for labor day(3 day) hitting the outer banks. Probably Yellowtail, Dodos, and maybe some Tuna. May not be huge fish but a good way to experience the long range fleet.

Soakin Bait