PDA

View Full Version : opener report for upper lower twin, bridgeport rez, east walker and convict creek!

Matt44
04-28-2012, 11:49 PM
Upper twin

Well this trip was an absolute mission and as im typing this report im damn near asleep because i just got home. Got off work at 11 pm friday night had everything ready to go in the old mans truck we got on the road around 1 am and got to bridgeport around 630 am planned to rent a boat at the rez but it was an absolute zoo! From there we headed to upper twin and rented a boat for a half day we started trolling pops had a gold and red bouyant and i was trolling the big baits in hunts for a nice brown started with a 5 in ac plug skinny the bouyant was killen all the stockers you wanted even some kokes. Nothing big at all but great action. I continued to troll an assortment of ac plugs in different colors but the browns werent having it. So we anchored up around 10 as it was warmin up and just knocked em dead on worms and bouyants. The inlets were good and right out in front of the marina was a real hot spot. We kept 5 fish as i didnt want any freezer fish and were off the water around noon. Didnt herar of any bigguns.

Lower

After upper we stopped by lower to look around didnt bother fishing as they had quite a few people crowding the shoreline talked to a few people and the fishing seemed really well there too for stocker rainbows. There was also a 6lb brown caught by a troller on a rapala saw it in the freezer and it was a nice fish! By this time i was kickin myself inthe ace for not fishin lower.

East walker

Headed to e dub with my new fly rod and tried my luck nymphing but let me tell ya without a guide and it being my first time i had quite a hard time i think i had a few bites from what i saw of my indicator but i wasnt talented enough to hook em. After about an hour of solid practice i put her down and threw some all gold panther martins (pinched barbs) i hooked one my first cast got him close to shore and it looked about 17 inches and he spit the hook right back at me and that was all she wrote on e dub i was there about a total of an hour and a half.

Bridgport rez (off dam)

Had the baitcaster out and was tossin all the plugs again for a late afternoon bite but all i caught was a shoulder ach there was about 5 or 6 others fishing with nothing happenin for any of us. Guys at kens said it was really hot for trollers early in the morning big fish there were a 4lb bow and a 3 lb brown.

Convict creek

On our way home we pulled into convict to check it out and i thought i fish the creek were the lake spills out. I made about 10 casts with mini jigs and got about 4 stockers. It was easy pickens just too bad i had to work tomorrow or id be up there still.

Nothing caught was worth any pics but most fish were 12 to 15 inches real small i got onego get close to 18 at upper twin though.

Go get em!

FSHNLIC
04-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Right on Matt..... way to get on some fish... I will be heading up twice beggining next Saturday... gonna do a quick sat-sun deal just fishing lone pine to bishop and than again wed-fri fishing mammoth to Bridgeport... tight lines and full tails

HawgZWylde
04-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the report Matt. My family and I are heading up to Bridgeport at the end of June for 13 days. I can't stand the wait. It's a yearly tradition going on for 50+ years now. What are the water levels like up there?

Matt44
04-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Lakes are full! And the fish are biting!

seal
04-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Excellent effort on the AC's! Think the weather God's were not in your favor. You must be pretty damn tired, oh to be young.

Congrats!

SierraPeaks
04-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Very bummed I missed the opener this year. Probably won't see conditions like this again for a long, long time.

Matt44
04-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Def not seal it was a warm and dry opener im freakin burned! But all inall cant beat sierras for trout fishing! Thanks for the replys guys go out there and get em!

seal
04-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Def not seal it was a warm and dry opener im freakin burned! But all inall cant beat sierras for trout fishing! Thanks for the replys guys go out there and get em!

The weather God's I'm talking about is brownie weather (kind of like striper weather)! Cold front, snow or rain and wind might have been your friend in your brown quest.

Matt44
04-29-2012, 06:44 PM
I meant the wernt in out favor for sure i woulda much rather had the **** weather for the good brownie bite but no biggie it was still a great opener!

FadedOne
04-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Seems like a nice weekend.

RiverWalker
04-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the report Matt! Sounds like a good time. I normally avoid the actual opener for the reasons you mentioned. Too crowded plus many lakes in the upper elevations are usually still frozen. I'll be up there soon enough.

SierraPeaks
04-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the report Matt! Sounds like a good time. I normally avoid the actual opener for the reasons you mentioned. Too crowded plus many lakes in the upper elevations are usually still frozen. I'll be up there soon enough.

Sorry bro...but missing the opener...especially with conditions like this year...for the reasons you stated...is like saying "I don't bag the hot chicks until everyone else has had a shot at them"

Matt44
04-30-2012, 02:48 AM
i would much rather fish in shittier weather for the opener it usually means better fishing for the prized browns. The heat slowed things down quite a bit wernt the ideal conditions id prefer but everyone has there prefences. Ill be up when the next storm hits im sure theres still one or two more up there! Last year i didnt make the opener but i went up two weeks later first day was 80 degrees second day it snowed i love it haha.

Piss on Myspace
04-30-2012, 02:50 AM
Sorry bro...but missing the opener...especially with conditions like this year...for the reasons you stated...is like saying "I don't bag the hot chicks until everyone else has had a shot at them"

...having an asthma attack lmao

Way to stick out the crowds and get on some fish matt...sounds like u hit the right spots on your trophy quest tho...thats what keeps us coming back... I commend you on the effort... thanks for the report but c'mon where the pics lol...cant wait till next week!!!

Matt44
04-30-2012, 03:06 AM
Next trip ill take some i only had the day so i didnt want to waist any time made a great day out of it if i got a monster or some brownies i woulda took a photo ....there was a 8 pound 9 punce bow caught at lower twin tosay

Piss on Myspace
04-30-2012, 03:32 AM
Yeah no worries, just f'n with ya cuz im feigning to get up there...so no brownies this trip? And i hear you bout the edub, she can be a real biatch if u dont know what ur doing...im startin to get into the fly as well, had to pay my dues there last year...1 hour for 1 stocker on a streamer...cant wait for the redemption!!!

TroutOnly
04-30-2012, 08:17 AM
WAY TO SLAY MATT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

RiverWalker
04-30-2012, 09:51 AM
hahaha. That's pretty funny Sierrapeaks. Yes I agree the opener conditions were primed this season but my opportunities for the opener/near opener are limited now so I would much rather go a little later and wait for more water to be accessible. I would love to go every weekend from the time it opens like in the past but having a wife and 3 kids now eliminates that option for me. I look at it a little differently though. I would would rather bag the hot chicks without being shoulder to shoulder with tons of guys in a **** fest gripping their rods! =) There will be plenty of hot chicks still waiting to play when I get there in a few weeks! Having said that, I would of still loved to be there then here!

RiverWalker
04-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Hey Matt. How long are you going to be up there? Where else are you planning to hit?

Next trip ill take some i only had the day so i didnt want to waist any time made a great day out of it if i got a monster or some brownies i woulda took a photo ....there was a 8 pound 9 punce bow caught at lower twin tosay

SierraPeaks
04-30-2012, 10:30 AM
hahaha. That's pretty funny Sierrapeaks. Yes I agree the opener conditions were primed this season but my opportunities for the opener/near opener are limited now so I would much rather go a little later and wait for more water to be accessible. I would love to go every weekend from the time it opens like in the past but having a wife and 3 kids now eliminates that option for me. I look at it a little differently though. I would would rather bag the hot chicks without being shoulder to shoulder with tons of guys in a **** fest gripping their rods! =) There will be plenty of hot chicks still waiting to play when I get there in a few weeks! Having said that, I would of still loved to be there then here!

LMAO...great comeback :) I'd be there every weekend (and many weekdays) too...if I was financially able.

HawgZWylde
04-30-2012, 11:39 AM

LMAO!!!

Great reply. I'm with ya on that one...

Matt44
04-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Haha grippin rods thats hilarious, i actually was only up for a day due to my job sched but i plan on goin back up for two days either this weekend coming up or next depends onthe weather!

seal
04-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Haha grippin rods thats hilarious, i actually was only up for a day due to my job sched but i plan on goin back up for two days either this weekend coming up or next depends onthe weather!

You mean good weather or bad? This weekend might be some showers.

Matt44
04-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Bad weather seal! something to get the bite goin!

phishin phool
05-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Nice job out there Matt you covered some ground, thanks for the report. I'll be headin up June 6-10 and bringin the new fly stick too, gonna be interesting since I haven't tossed a fly in 20+ years.

Mike274
05-12-2012, 03:06 AM
6# brownie, very nice. Hate to see those cuts and brownies kept on the stringers though. Pretty much the only freshwater trophy fish we have.

Just MHO

Matt44
05-12-2012, 05:55 PM
I agree mike snap a pic and let em grow!