PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a float tube

Sue
08-20-2007, 01:23 AM
So, Tuesday my new float tube will arrive. I want to take it to Legends with me on Saturday. I have waders and fins to buy, but will get them by the end of the week, and I guess I need to get a pump as well!

So, a few dumb questions - is it silly to attempt to catch kitties in a float tube? Am I best off going for bluegill/sunfish/crappie type fishes?

Tell me what I need to know about float tubing! Please :)

one_leg
08-20-2007, 01:29 AM
I'd be careful with them whiskerfish, Sue.

Wouldn't want to jab your tube with a catfish spine.
Might wanna take a can of Fix-a-flat with you.
Just kidding about the Fix-a-flat. But not about the spines.

One_Leg

One_Leg

sonarbp
08-20-2007, 06:32 AM
Hey Sue,

Welcome to the wonderful world of float tubin!!!! It is one of the most relaxing and fun ways to fish and it is very very addictive!!! :shock:

A few things you will need:

1) A good quality landing net.
2) A life vest
3) A rod holder or two

You will have a blast fishing this way. There will be a bunch of us tubin the Ledgends on Sat. The only thing you need to watch when fishing cats is the sharp spines on the fins of the fish. The bladders are pretty tough on the tubes but they can be punctured so becareful!!!!

About the pump.....I bought a 12v electric pump that plugs into the cigerette lighter of my car....this will inflate the tube about 90% in about 5 mins. This pump I got at walmart for under $15. they also sell this pump that will run off of 4 D batteries.

I also got a small hand pump from Walmart to top off the bladders. This cost $4 and is worth having cause if you need to you can use it to0minflate the whole tube in under 20 mins.

I will be at the event with my tubes so if you need any help just ask!!!!

See you at LEDGENDS!!!!!!!!! :D

sonarbp

vanillagurilla
08-20-2007, 10:00 AM
i blow it up with lung power. me and Tacklejunkie. takes me about 7-10 minutes to blow it up. good thing is they say to blow it up to 2.5psi and thats about as hard as you can with you lungs so your not over inflating your tube.

BakoBassin
08-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Double-Action pump at Wal-Mart, around $10. Worth every penny.

sonarbp
08-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Double-Action pump at Wal-Mart, around $10. Worth every penny.

Hey BakoBassin,

I saw the large double action pump right next to the small one I got. The small one works great and it is fast. The small one is a double action pump also and it is easier to store.

sonarbp

tacklejunkie
08-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Grab a net for the kittie fishes and you sould be fine. Congrats on the new tube Sue! VG and I landed some kitties from the tube the other day. No Vine monsters or nothin', but they didn't give us any troubles.

I use my built in wind pipes for inflation of the tube. only takes 5 mins.. though it does induce a nice high :oops:

Socal Bassman
08-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Congrats on the new tube Sue. I agree with everyone about the landing net for the whiskerfish. I bought a double action hand pump at Sport Chalet for about $12. Tried the lung power years ago and I think that's what discouraged me from tubing then.

Sue
08-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Hi guys,

Well, I bought waders and fins last night, but forgot about the pump. Doh!
What kind of rod holders should I buy? I'm assuming the ones I have for shorefishing won't work?
I already have a net - bought it on Saturday! :D

Fisher-of-Men
08-21-2007, 07:34 PM
So, Tuesday my new float tube will arrive. I want to take it to Legends with me on Saturday. I have waders and fins to buy, but will get them by the end of the week, and I guess I need to get a pump as well!

So, a few dumb questions - is it silly to attempt to catch kitties in a float tube? Am I best off going for bluegill/sunfish/crappie type fishes?

Tell me what I need to know about float tubing! Please :)

The Vine is known for it's monster cats. If you hook up with a Big Blue; you'll be in for one heck of a ride.

Hold on :!: :!:

:wink:

Fisher-of-Men

Socal Bassman
08-21-2007, 07:51 PM
I bought a 3 pole holder at BPS for $11.99. It worked pretty good on my last Perris outing, but I'm gonna have to put some duct tape or something around the slits so my spinning rod doesn't sit so low in the holder.