PDA

View Full Version : 4.28.12 got em deep

JAG107
04-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Wow I can't believe how crowded it was today! Great day for fishing. Anyways, my buddy and I trolled all over the place in low gear until about 9, with nada. I decided to hell with it, sped up to 2.5+ and immediately whacked 2 in 15 minutes in the flats. I got my 2nd downrigger this week just in time! Definitely worked the DR's in overdrive today, as all fish came from 25+ feet down. After the first 2, we settled down for a break by the usual bait hotspot and picked up 2 quick dinks on the power mouse. That bite came and went, so we went back on the troll. We finished off with 14 fish today, 5 released. (We shook them off while still in the water, undamaged besides a hole in the jaw!) 4 fish today came on an orange needlefish, and the rest all on the Pointer 48. They wouldn't take anything else, believe me we tried everything! Kinda slow action today, but got our meat nonetheless. Lots of other trollers out there, didn't see a lot of hookups, but saw the baiters picking some up here and there. Not the wide open bite like the past 2 weeks (at least in my case). Water temps went from 65 to 69 by 2pm. Kinda wish I was able to make it up to the Sierra opener, but I probably did better today at the Vine than I could have anywhere else. No fish bigger than 2lbs though, but had some hard fighters, and it looks like the bass are still nipping the hell out of these poor little guys.

BRING IT
04-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Great job, way to switch it up. I found it wide open in the flats on my tube, landed a 4lber and lots of lil guys(still fun)

hooks
04-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Good job!
It was wide open for me too (1 pole) AND it was nicer grade of fish for me this week.
Everyone was doing good back it the flats.
tight lines...

Hitts0n
04-29-2012, 01:34 PM
After I found the hot spot I limited in 1 hours or less! It was still fun !! Thanks for reporting!!

JAG107
04-30-2012, 04:57 PM
I'll be back out there in a couple weeks, gonna hit up Barrett for opening weekend for a change of pace. We'll see if the flats are still hot in 2 weeks from now, I'm kinda surprised they're holding in mid-depth water instead of the deep end at the dam. I guess the dam will be their eventual migration once the water hits 70+. I'm gonna get a submersible thermometer to hook up to the cannonball next time to see what the temps are like at 30+'

fishfnatic
05-01-2012, 07:00 AM
Good job on the fish. The submersible thermometer is a great idea. Be sure to include those in your reports ;)