PDA

View Full Version : 4-27 a new PM

tagg27
04-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Went out this morning with Sublime Steve for a morning session. Hit the water about 9:15 and headed to the East end. Steve hooked up a small one on his first cast and I thought this is going to be a good day. Then my phone rings, its work and all hell has broken loose. I spend the next two hours putting out fires at work. Mean while Steve puts another small bass in the boat. I finally get done with the nonsense at work and finally get down to fishing. We saw fish pushing shad sporadically but nothing consistent. Now its about 12:30 and we only have about another 1/2 hour to fish when Steve sees a Huge bass chasing a small trout. We both start casting in that direction. Steve with a crankbait and me with a swimbait. On about the fifth or sixth cast I feel a SLAM! And then just pressure but no real fight. I tell Steve that I got bit but now I think I'm hung up. Then the beast figured out she is hooked and its on. I yell to Steve "it's a toad!". As the word toad leaves my mouth we see her break water for the first time. She's huge! I'll I can think of is keep her out of the trees and don't let her jump again. Well she jumped again (like I had any say in the matter) then tried to head towards a submerged tree but I was able to keep her head up. Steve was ready on the net. BANG she's in the boat!
We grab the digi, 10-15! Are you kidding me! We were yelling and high 5ing. Well we took a pics and Steve video her release and back she swam back down to be someone else personal best. After I quit shaking we decided to end on that and headed in. Enjoy the pics below I know I did. I'll have to have Steve post his pics and the vid.

See ya on the lake.

fishmounter
04-27-2012, 08:32 PM
You know that is a really nice bass, but do you think the digital scale is correct? I mean I've held dozens of bass in the 10 pound range (I was a taxidermist for many years), and that bass doesn't look like an 11 pounder to me. Maybe you are just a really big guy? You didn't happen to measure that bass did you? Hey I'm not putting you down, it's a beautiful bass bro, but I don't think your scale is correct or someone misread it. Anyway nice going on the big fish.

tagg27
04-27-2012, 08:41 PM
I'm 6'1" but we weighed it twice because I didn't believe it myself...It read 10-15 and 10-14lbs...Its a BPS digi so I don't know how accurate they are but that's what it said. I did not measure it as I didn't have a tape in the boat. I don't take offense as like I said I didn't believe it myself at first.

riverside_angler
04-28-2012, 12:14 AM
nice catch! way to use the facts (fish chasing small trout) and capitalize. However, I'm with fishmounter on this one. Either that scale is dead wrong or that picture surely does not do that fish justice. That fish looks like a typical 4lber from DVL.

Regardless, nice catch!

karalm
04-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Anyway it measures, who cares as its a sweet toad!! Great job in the hookset and landing!! And as always, in getting her back to lake business.

bassgrabber1
04-28-2012, 07:06 PM
That fish looks long and hefty on the shoulders....I see it as a 10+....great job Jeff!!

tree
04-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Nice catch! Steve texted me the photo that morning! Congrats on a PB!

Senor Rambone
04-28-2012, 10:42 PM
congrats on the PB!!!

Fish Dog
04-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Looks dead with a broken jaw and yellow eyes. Just sayin'....
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
(see how stupid that sounds).

Just being sarcastic....BTW - nice bass!

fishmounter
04-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Just curious... If Tagg27's bass weighted 10-15, what do you guys think my bass pictured in my avatar weighed? I'm not trying to start anything negative, I'm just curious as to what the guesses are.

Sublime-Steve
04-29-2012, 05:44 AM
I netted the fish... it was HUGE ive seen lotsa big fish 2.. ( james's 12 lber) i also netted that fish.. that 10 barely fit in the live well.. i think the pic doesn't do it justice.. it was extremely long and have a MASSIVE head

smokehound
04-29-2012, 05:53 AM
Just curious... If Tagg27's bass weighted 10-15, what do you guys think my bass pictured in my avatar weighed? I'm not trying to start anything negative, I'm just curious as to what the guesses are.sometimes scales aren't accurate..

personally, it looks like a 9 to me. That bass does have a bit of a gut on it.

An egg-bearing female can pack tons of weight on, but still looks small.

(his fish, not yours) :LOL:

tagg27
04-29-2012, 11:07 AM
I checked my scale (weighed a roast we bought from the market, roast 6-8lbs, scale 6-7,6-8,6-7). weighed it three times. It was definitely the longest bass I have ever caught. I put a tape in the boat for next time. Fishmounter, you are right the photos do not do this fish justice. That's why we weighed it twice with the digi. At the end of the day doesn't matter to me. I'm happy to be out on the lake and really enjoy bass fishing. I take no offense to any comments made as everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to it. I thought I would share the experience with fellow fisherman who could appreciate it. So no worries gentleman and looking forward to seeing you out at the lake.

Jeff

Kelster
04-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Congratulations on the PB, that is a nice looking fish you got there and beats my PB by two pounds. I went out Saturday and only caught three that were 2-3 pounders. I had a bigger one 5+ break me off in the bushes down there on the far east end.
Once again Congratulations..........

tagg27
04-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Thx Kelster

Socal Bassman
04-29-2012, 04:06 PM
First off, congrats on the new PB!!! Secondly, yeah the fish looks smaller than a 10, but nobody but you and Steve saw the fish up close. Cameras have a funny way of capturing images. I've seen 10+lb fish look like 6 and little rats look a lot bigger than they actually were. In fact, I have 2 pics of a 9lber I caught at the Lagoon a few years back. One pic made the fish look smaller than 9lbs, while the other pic made it look like it was at least 12.

That is a very nice fish for sure and excellent work on landing that toad.

tagg27
04-29-2012, 10:13 PM
First off, congrats on the new PB!!! Secondly, yeah the fish looks smaller than a 10, but nobody but you and Steve saw the fish up close. Cameras have a funny way of capturing images. I've seen 10+lb fish look like 6 and little rats look a lot bigger than they actually were. In fact, I have 2 pics of a 9lber I caught at the Lagoon a few years back. One pic made the fish look smaller than 9lbs, while the other pic made it look like it was at least 12.

That is a very nice fish for sure and excellent work on landing that toad.

Thanks Bassman...I still watch the video Steve took as she swam away. Wish I could figure out how to post it

mirage2887
04-29-2012, 10:50 PM
nice fish looks like everyone is getting those DD at perris this year instead of the jewel

fishmounter
04-30-2012, 06:33 PM
tagg27- Sent you a PM.

Santa Fe Eric
04-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Awesome Job! We have some great Anglers on this board!

tagg27
04-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Fishmounter, PM received. Sent you a PM back

Eric - Thx

halopower
05-11-2012, 08:22 AM
my experience with digital scales is very mixed ..... think that the old spring scales, tho less precise, are more reliable .....