PDA

View Full Version : The New DVL Record Striper

Dr. MindBendo
04-26-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm sure many of you have heard. Nhan Doan and Tommy Le caught the new lake record striper at 34.77 lbs.

hookup
04-26-2012, 02:34 PM
hell yeah:EyePop: nhan kills it out there do you know if it was caught on a big bait?

a321eric
04-26-2012, 02:38 PM
No way!!!! That is awesome...congrats to them! That is a monstrous fish.

Matt_Magnone
04-26-2012, 09:09 PM
hell yeah guys! glad to see another giant caught from the lake. you've been chasin' that fish and record for a while!

Geraldlim
04-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Congrats to Nhan!
I heard from someone else that he got it on a Punker, but I wasn't there.

HawgZWylde
04-26-2012, 09:38 PM
Awesome fish. A fat pig indeed. Congratulations!

koifish
04-27-2012, 06:28 AM
this record will stay there for a while....nice job and congrat to both of you.

hookup
04-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Congrats to Nhan!
I heard from someone else that he got it on a Punker, but I wasn't there.

hell yeah thats even better them punkers get the big boys :Envious:

adiablo420
04-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Wow , freakin awesome .. That a Big *** fish. Nice job on the stripey record..

anhbe
04-29-2012, 05:01 PM
What lure did you use it for that big boy?
Thanks,
AB

Wow , freakin awesome .. That a Big *** fish. Nice job on the stripey record..

GdHkSet1
04-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Well done fella's, glad to see a record broken at DV. Wow, the region is pumping out record fish this year, Perris LMB, DV Stripey, did Skinner produce a record LMB this spawn?

fishinone
04-30-2012, 05:33 PM
Nice catch guys.

Wonder what will happen when those DVL striper grow up?

VietReefer
05-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Wowww .. what a monster. Congrats Nhan & Tommy

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-02-2012, 09:35 AM
That’s one sweet catch…. TOAD !

Damn fine hawg there…..hope to see some better pics : )

Congrats to the angler who landed it..

What I don’t understand is why everyone keeps referencing 2 people…only 1 angler can land the feesh.

A fish to remember forever for sho’

Those diamond valley stripeys are on the grow…

Way ta go on the TOAD ! (to the angler)

HawgStalker
05-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Fish of a lifetime right there!!! Congrats!!!

Hitts0n
05-02-2012, 06:12 PM
That’s one sweet catch…. TOAD !

Damn fine hawg there…..hope to see some better pics : )

Congrats to the angler who landed it..

What I don’t understand is why everyone keeps referencing 2 people…only 1 angler can land the feesh.

A fish to remember forever for sho’

Those diamond valley stripeys are on the grow…

Way ta go on the TOAD ! (to the angler)

LMAOOOOOOO!! Good point !
Congrats on that record breaking pig !!!!

CCfisherman
05-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Caught on custom home made top water bait, aka "LIVE TROUT". Right after DFG trout stock, nicely done. But is that even consider a legal catch? Anyways that's not my call. I want to congrats the angler who caught that record fish for getting nail twice last year for throwing live trout last year also. nice!!!!

Straight from DFG site below
"(e) No trout may be maintained or possessed in a live condition in any container on or attached to any boat;"

TopwaterTony
05-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Caught on custom home made top water bait, aka "LIVE TROUT". Right after DFG trout stock, nicely done. But is that even consider a legal catch? Anyways that's not my call. I want to congrats the angler who caught that record fish for getting nail twice last year for throwing live trout last year also. nice!!!!

"(e) No trout may be maintained or possessed in a live condition in any container on or attached to any boat;"

I wasn't going to say anything but what's funny is that I heard this before and then again after this catch from a little birdie that knows this angler.

hookup
05-07-2012, 07:35 PM

so it was for sure caught on live trout? thats crazy people are nuts

cutbait
05-07-2012, 07:50 PM
I love to see big stripers!!!!!!!!!!

I too hope better pics are shown... Not that I don't believe it is a 34 but picture doesn't do it justice!

Is it an official lake record? weighed at the lake or certified scale?

ALSO, whats up with DVL and all the live controversies???????? Is it that rampant?

I'm unclear? is this guy a convicted live trout user? or just suspected of it?

Matt_Magnone
05-07-2012, 09:46 PM
this picture doesnt do the fish justice. saw some other pictures that make it look like an absolute destroyer. dont know what they caught it on and really dont care. unless i know for sure i keep to myself on that subject. from the video i say it looks to be 100%. he makes his own baits and both him and i brainstorm from time to time about ideas for new creations. he has some plans in store for the near future. definitely a hog but there have been some other big ones caught in the past that the angling public may never hear about. the lake has giants for sure but they're getting a lot harder to catch with the increased angling pressure. awesome catch none the less

as far as the "lively ones". everyone and there mothers come in the shop and try to tell me about live trout and how the big ones eat it. it gets really annoying to be honest with you. even have had people in the past try and have me pick out what hooks i thought would be best and rig trap rigs. everyone has this idea in their heads that they can go anywhere on that lake and its okay to huck a bait. ive seen it from a close distance. if any of you are doing it; i dont want to hear it nor does anyone inside Last Chance.

CCfisherman
05-07-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm unclear? is this guy a convicted live trout user? or just suspected of it?

He sure did, saw the bust w my own eyes last year. Surprise they don't ban this person from the lake because of it.

Rick Grover
05-09-2012, 09:31 AM
He sure did, saw the bust w my own eyes last year. Surprise they don't ban this person from the lake because of it.

Wow, we watched the video that Tommy had on his phone of them fighting the fish and trying to get it into the net and it had a lure in its throat. Hope we did not get fooled, but accusing someone of cheating is wrong unless you have hard evidence imo. Cheaters always get caught after a while and the DVL "T-Bar" prostaff will get theirs someday you can count on it. Rick G.

Geraldlim
05-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Wow, we watched the video that Tommy had on his phone of them fighting the fish and trying to get it into the net and it had a lure in its throat. Rick G.
Thanks for clearing that up for everyone Rick.

DarkShadow
05-09-2012, 01:23 PM

Damn...

If I ever got busted for anything like that, I would never return to the lake, just because I'd be pretty embarrassed to show my face.

So you mean to tell me that the guy got busted, and still goes back and tries to garner attention with his big catches, that although may be legal NOW, are still clouded in an aura of mystery since he got busted before?

tree
05-09-2012, 07:03 PM
:Popcorn::Popcorn: Congrats on the catch! now to watch the inevitable hate and trolling.

why cant people just be happy they got a record fish? means that the fish are still growing instead of being stunted and there's bigger ones out there!

ushone
05-09-2012, 07:59 PM
I just wish dvl had camping / night fishing at least occasionally, im sure their are some tanks cruising at night

eggot
05-09-2012, 10:34 PM
:Popcorn::Popcorn: Congrats on the catch! now to watch the inevitable hate and trolling.

why cant people just be happy they got a record fish? means that the fish are still growing instead of being stunted and there's bigger ones out there!

Congrats to the dude if it was really legit. If he is a convicted cheater, but has went clean, then let him be and quit hating. We all f**k up at some point in life. Obviously he loves fishing more than caring about what other people (that he doesn't even know) think of him.

If it was caught on a live trout... then, not cool bro, not cool at all.. hah.

DKCbassman
05-10-2012, 11:28 AM
WOW!!! Really?? I'm a DVL regular and I know Tommy is a die hard big bait guy. Nhan or Nhoan (sorry I forget) is one of the O.G. dashers and another big bait guy. I've fished DVL 68 times this year and been hitting it since it opened to the public. IF YOUR GONNA CALL THESE GUYS OUT, POST YOUR PROOF.

DarkShadow
05-10-2012, 12:54 PM
IF YOUR GONNA CALL THESE GUYS OUT, POST YOUR PROOF.

x 2.

I wonder if DFG violations are a matter of public record.

Because if so......

Nessie Hunter
05-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Congrats !!!

I personally dont care if he used Dynamite to kill a friggin Striper... Get em all!!!

fishstory
05-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but why is using a live trout frowned upon so much? I have used live shad for years to catch striper. Why is this different? I use sardines and anchovies live for yellows etc. Im a little confused? Is it a legal matter?

cutbait
05-10-2012, 02:13 PM
x 2.

Because if so......

Ill take the cue....

As a matter of fact any criminal conviction is a matter of public record and it would only take an investigative member to search the names given in this post on the Riverside County Court website and truth will be there!

Not rocket science

DarkShadow
05-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Im a little confused? Is it a legal matter?

Yep, it's a legal matter.

You can read all the DFG regulations in the little booklet that is available wherever licenses are sold, or you can peruse the regulations on the DFG website.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2012/

Fysher
05-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Fish has been caught, has been killed,and probably consumed by now. Why ponder over what he caught it on it doesn't change anything. Don't fall into that group that thinks "Once a cheater always a cheater"

Could care less what they caught it on. It just shows that there are some monster stripers in there. Now get off the computer and try to break that record.

cutbait
05-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Fish has been caught, has been killed,and probably consumed by now. Why ponder over what he caught it on it doesn't change anything. Don't fall into that group that thinks "Once a cheater always a cheater"

Could care less what they caught it on. It just shows that there are some monster stripers in there. Now get off the computer and try to break that record.

ENABLER!

Sorry, couldn't resist :LOL:

5150fishn
05-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Thank you Gary for asking the same question I was thinking. WTF! What did they do pass the rod back and forth. LOL!!! Nice beast of a fish either way. As far as the live trout issue, I'll wait for the evidence.

Lady Quagga
05-10-2012, 04:55 PM
"Once a cheater always a cheater"

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/810/mikehart.jpg

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Thank you Gary for asking the same question I was thinking. WTF! What did they do pass the rod back and forth. LOL!!! Nice beast of a fish either way. As far as the live trout issue, I'll wait for the evidence.
doesn't matter I guess...bottom line is that the anglers didn't even start this post to boot...

Kinda tired of seeing the merry go round...I'll say it again....a pig from hell..

Not gonna speculate how it was caught and I too don't really care....

I'm not into the hate game less the hate gets dealt my way...

I'll say it one last time...congrats to the 2 anglers that caught the fish (pun intended )

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-10-2012, 05:31 PM
P.S.
Let's get back ta fishing
(my personal opinion only)

: )

fishstory
05-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Is this a California thing? Is it Ok at the river? Seems like a good idea to me if it was legal. What bait could be better. Is it wrong to think this way? I saw someone said it is illegal to keep a trout alive in a bait well or something but what about using it for bait. Is that illegal specifically or is using live bait period illegal? Live bait is the best bait right?

riverside_angler
05-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Fishstory, maybe you should read the regulations rather than relying on everyone else to answer your questions, especially when they've been answered a couple hundred times already. It's time that these boards become a little more efficient.

cutbait
05-10-2012, 06:41 PM
P.S.
Let's get back ta fishing
(my personal opinion only)

: )

Well you know the ole saying... Opinions are like #$%##$#,,, everyone has one and they all stink!

Matt_Magnone
05-10-2012, 09:19 PM
doesn't matter I guess...bottom line is that the anglers didn't even start this post to boot...

Kinda tired of seeing the merry go round...I'll say it again....a pig from hell..

Not gonna speculate how it was caught and I too don't really care....

I'm not into the hate game less the hate gets dealt my way...

I'll say it one last time...congrats to the 2 anglers that caught the fish (pun intended )

prime example why i choose not to openly announce big fish i catch. no matter how legit it is; there are always people who are gonna tell you that you're a liar or cheated some how/ some way. not worth the headache trying to defend your innocence.

VietReefer
05-10-2012, 09:47 PM
WOW!!! Really?? I'm a DVL regular and I know Tommy is a die hard big bait guy. Nhan or Nhoan (sorry I forget) is one of the O.G. dashers and another big bait guy. I've fished DVL 68 times this year and been hitting it since it opened to the public. IF YOUR GONNA CALL THESE GUYS OUT, POST YOUR PROOF.

x 2.

Because if so......

x3 :)

Never fished with Tommy before and talked to him only once but I've seen him shore fishing @ the points many times chugging that lunker punker and huddleston (?) all day long when I fished there.

More haters = less report posted :)

kayakbass
05-11-2012, 05:50 AM
Thanks for all kind words guys. All I can said keep fishing and enjoys what gives. Let's be friend each other, someday the record breaker will be 'you'
It's time to close this thread and move on !!!
tightline
Tommy L

koifish
05-11-2012, 06:26 AM
Thanks for all kind words guys. All I can said keep fishing and enjoys what gives. Let's be friend each other, someday the record breaker will be 'you'
tightline
Tommy L

I want to go with you once day bro. teach me how to fish the punker dude.

fishstory
05-11-2012, 06:43 AM
Fishstory, maybe you should read the regulations rather than relying on everyone else to answer your questions, especially when they've been answered a couple hundred times already. It's time that these boards become a little more efficient.

I wasnt able to find the answer when looking at the regs. Thats why im asking here in what should be a wealth of information. Im a regular on some other forums that have nothing to do with fishing and if someone asks a question I personally would be happy to answer it for them. It's called sharing. Thats part of what these forums are for. Im new to this forum so I haven't seen this answer a couple hundred times. Maybe you should try helping someone out with a link or an answer instead of being so self centered.

Matt_Magnone
05-11-2012, 07:41 AM
tightline
Tommy L

you're the man! couldnt agree more. very good way to kill a thread. both you guys deserved that fish.

ushone
05-11-2012, 08:12 AM
fishstory, you clearly didnt try very hard then. I went to google and typed "live trout for bait in california dfg" and the first link which was a dfg pdf had this to say about the topic "TITLE 14 SECTIONS REGARDING THE USE OF BAIT
4.00. Bait - General.
Legally acquired and possessed invertebrates, mollusks, crustaceans, amphibians (except salamanders), fish eggs and treated and processed foods may be used for bait, except:
(a) No species specified as endangered, threatened, candidate, fully-protected, or otherwise protected under state and federal law may be used as bait.
(b) No salamander may be used as bait. See section 5.05 for other amphibians that may be used as bait.
(c) See Section 5.35 for restrictions on crayfish;
(d) See Section 7.50(b)(74) for restriction on bait collecting on Hat Creek;
(e) No trout may be maintained or possessed in a live condition in any container on or attached to any boat;
(f) Except for restrictions listed under special regulations, dead ocean fish may be used as bait statewide. This section supersedes the provisions of sections 4.10, 4.15, 4.20, 4.25 and 4.30.

fishstory
05-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Maybe I dont understand then. If you catch a trout and then set it up on a larger rig for striper then it is illegal? Im not trying to read between the lines here but maybe I am. It says you cant keep trout live in a container. I dont see where it says you cant use them as bait.

DarkShadow
05-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Maybe I dont understand then. If you catch a trout and then set it up on a larger rig for striper then it is illegal?

Yes

Im not trying to read between the lines here but maybe I am.

Obviously.

fishstory
05-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the help.

ushone
05-11-2012, 10:22 AM
come on man wtf, do we have to spoon feed you? i told you how to find a link for dfg rules, that same link (first link on google with "using live trout as bait california dfg" as the search) has a list of all the fish you are allowed to use as live bait. you can read between all the lines you want, dfg wont give a shiet tho and you will be out a few hundred $ if you get caught.
edit* also "attached to any boat;" that right their should be enough to tell that you cant have one alive and in the water in any way or form....stringer or hook and line
double edit* if you actually take a second to find the pdf im talking about it gives you all the regs on where what and how fish maybe be used as bait gold fish to trout to salt fish for freshwater.

riverside_angler
05-11-2012, 11:33 AM
be careful Ushone, you are flirting with the line of being "self-centered." Fishstory, if you want to know the rules, look them up or post your question under the right forum. I am more than willing to help people out when resources are limited. However, when someone is too lazy to do any work themselves, that's where I draw the line. On a side note, when a post is 5 pages long and contains nothing but people's remarks about how fishing with live trout is a no-no and how someone allegedly was busted before for doing it, doesn't common sense suggest that you can't do it? I don't know if I would call that "reading between the lines." Anyhow, this post has officially been jacked...(google "jacked", i'm sure you'll find a definition).

Congrats to Nhan for landing that beast. He told me personally that he caught that fish on a lure. If he's lying, so be it. But until I see evidence that that particular fish was caught with live trout, I will take his word for it. By the way, he rents out that boat he is standing on in the picture. Go to craigslist and you can get the info (fishstory, please don't pm me asking for his contact info...i just told you where to get it)

here is a better pic of the fish: http://www.wonews.com/t-SouthernCAFreshwater_Hemet_050212.aspx

DKCbassman
05-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Black Dog Bait Co. needs to put Tommy on their Pro-staff!

beat_it
05-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Which one in the picture is Tommy? and which one in Nhoan?

riverside_angler
05-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Nhan is the guy holding the fish...on the right side (no hat).

ushone
05-11-2012, 06:52 PM
i just get mad when i basically give a perfectly legit answer and i even went as far as to tell him how i found it including tons of other info on the topic, and he basically im guessing didnt care to look cause he said something like i didnt see anything about using it for bait when the dfg pdg said otherwise.

fishstory
05-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Sorry guys, I did take the time to look, and I didnt understand it. I never found a specific list of fish that could be used. Im not lazy by any means. I called the DFG as well looking for the answer but only got a recording. I wont call back because you have made it clear now that it is illegal. I was just wondering why people were so upset that someone would use a trout for bait. I understand now. Thanks for filally answering a simple question. Your a couple of douchebags.

ushone
05-12-2012, 07:52 AM
wow that new pic..:Shocked: first page doesnt do the fish justice.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=using%20live%20trout%20as%20bait%20california%20 dfg&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CGcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnrm.dfg.ca.gov%2FFileHandler.ashx %3FDocumentVersionID%3D8371&ei=3HeuT935E4OSiQLYqrmuBA&usg=AFQjCNFY2NQqh9sTohVXegZVlKmSqlFRgQ&cad=rja
you must not of read any of my post telling you how to find this pdf ^ which was very simple via google "using live trout as bait california dfg" search that is the first link.

fishstory
05-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Thanks man. I did read that. I also did do the google search you recommended. I just read it wrong thats all. I wasnt trying to read what I wanted to hear or anything like that. I have no plans to use trout for bait. Especially now. Was just wondering what all the talk was about. I did not know I was asking the question in the wrong forum either. Lighten up guys. Sorry I asked. Really.