PDA

View Full Version : Taking Large Mouth Bass home?

Jamesbryantoeng
04-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Hey FFN members,

I've just started fishing in the freshwater lakes this year and I am wondering what are the legit size of bass to take home. I know that taking them would hurt the fishing community and so I guess taking the small ones out of the lake won't hurt fellow bass fisherman too much? Well anyway I never taken them before, cept this one time from Lake Hodges. So don't get too offensive bros~

bassyakker
04-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Barca fans aren't allowed to take bass home.

headcase881
04-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Ha u wont get any answers for the following. The bass nazi will have a feild day with this one. Now only if i knew how to say "stay away from my lakes " in german

mirage2887
04-26-2012, 12:19 PM
i think this is german for stay away "GTFO" :OMG!:

flyhigh123
04-26-2012, 12:29 PM
i truly feel that for fishing, if the person taking the fish home is to eat the fish and their family relies on methods to cut down on expenses ( tough times), then it should not be looked down upon or bombed on.

Yes, it may reduce the total population, but not everyone fishes for just sport. Some people are having tough times to make ends meet, so if a fish helps put food on the table, who are we to judge them.

I do believe that most people on this board are not in that position, so its easy for us to say CPR. ANyways, just saying how i feel. Sometimes when I catch a trout, i feel guilty for taking it home, but it feeds me.

Skyler
04-26-2012, 12:53 PM
I'll go get the popcorn. This is gonna get good...

Jamesbryantoeng
04-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Fish that you take home from the catch always taste alot better than the ones I get from the markets. just the feeling of it, but if you guys don't tell me then its fine. have a good day to you all and good luck !

headcase881
04-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Im almost sure its way to expensive to suplement your grocery bill with fis hing. Bass fishing is especially. Expensive.

XMrxSEAUx
04-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Fish that you take home from the catch always taste alot better than the ones I get from the markets. just the feeling of it, but if you guys don't tell me then its fine. have a good day to you all and good luck !
I guess it depends on the person. For me I do alot of CPR or just CR lol but as i recently fished the DVL and I happened to be there last sunday I've seen boats open up wells and they just bagged their dead bass and put them in ice chest. Im not sure on if they were there just for the tournament though. There's lots of bass boats out there. Ive counted 12 boats that did this and I guess since they are within their rights and it isnt illegal then it's okay. Its the small park lakes that i worry about when it comes to keeping. I'm not against it or give them crap when they keep it but ask why. One family last week kept a 14 incher and i asked how come. The mom said they fished here for months and thats their first fish lol. My reply was. Thats the reason why it was your first fish. If more ppl kept them then it will be less of them. It gets very complicated as soon as you introduce the cpr fish with the non cpr fish. Huge smart fish vs Non experienced young fish taking the bait. When I was 12 fishing legg lake Ive got my first bass and I admit I kept it and locals told me to release it back because its not mine and i have no right to keep it. I wasn't educated and therefore being a youngin I wasn't sure if it was legal or not. Btw 5 ppl (adults) yelling at me until the park official came and cleared the crowd. That was the first and last bass I ever had. It depends on the location at dvl it wasn't a problem as I have seen. But at all the local area's the local fisherman should try and help by educating on why we shouldn't keep. Im sure you guys also run into the person who is in full knowledge but still keep. For me I dont know what to say as I like to keep on fishing and Hook onto bass. lol

smokehound
04-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Im almost sure its way to expensive to suplement your grocery bill with fis hing. Bass fishing is especially. Expensive.what? Soft plastics are cheap. Zoom brush hogs. Nothing wrong with keeping a few bass from bigger lakes. Kinda a waste though considering the mediocre table fare.

It only gets expensive if you think hudds are the only effective lures.

bodfish
04-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Hey Guys,
Nothing wrong with keeping a few, that is your right. Just keep in mind that harvesting does effect the population and considering how hard the fish get pressured here, (SoCal) most of Bass fisherman prefer you catch and release. You are going to get a lot of pressure to not harvest. Some of it will not be very cordial. There are many very passionate fisherman on this board. It is your decision.

bodfish

PS My personal take on harvesting Bass is that I just don't think they are a very good food fish, very mushy, and muddy tasting. So why bother? Trout ?
even the farm type, are much better, and we replenish them every year.

Jamesbryantoeng
04-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Yeah I know that i will only take bass from bigger lakes. The local lake parks I wouldn't be too happy for anyone taking bass out from it as well.

DarkShadow
04-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Barca fans aren't allowed to take bass home.

LOL.

It's ok, they'll have some extra time to fish now that Chelsea dispatched them home.

And I don't like cleaning fish, so I'll return them in the water. If I really feel like eating fish, I'll Yelp a good seafood restaurant.

Plus I'm conscious about the pressure fisheries receive in an area like Southern California, and the lack of funding the DFG has to do any real type of analysis, so anything I can do to assist I will.

stocker
04-26-2012, 08:10 PM
I've kept very few largemouth and they are great eats during the winter and very early spring months. They get mossy as the water warms up and are much better cpr'd. I'd say if a guy was just killing it that day, then keep a couple according to the regs for that particular lake. The herd has to be thinned or you'll wind up with stunted fish.

cutbait
04-26-2012, 08:37 PM
what? Soft plastics are cheap. Zoom brush hogs. Nothing wrong with keeping a few bass from bigger lakes. Kinda a waste though considering the mediocre table fare.

It only gets expensive if you think hudds are the only effective lures.

100% accurate whilst taking an discreet swipe at the "swimbait only" crowd. :Wink:

Well done sir, well done

bman90278
04-27-2012, 05:09 AM
Why not target a better tasting fish like Stripers?

-b

P.A.W.
04-27-2012, 06:58 AM
Not long ago I had my bud along on my boat at Skinner. We did the multi-species thing and he insisted on taking home his LMB and Stripers. At home, he did a taste test with his family as judges. LMB won!? Not very scientific but it does say something. I think Stocker is right. It does have to do with water temp, clarity, and current fish diet.

DarkShadow
04-27-2012, 09:04 AM
The herd has to be thinned or you'll wind up with stunted fish.

I think that's absolutely accurate.

Unfortunately, the only lake I've come across with that problem is Barrett, in San Diego.

But in Southern California, where I think the highest number of population/per lowest number of body of water exists, there are plenty of other people doing the keeping of the small fish that we don't really factor into our analysis, mostly because they never peruse messages boards like these, nor provide accurate numbers for DFG research.

Plus, you add the 'invasive' nature of stripers, which do a fare share of 'thinning the herd' themselves, and you have a very unique scenario in Southern California where I think releasing all of them provides a sustainable fishery, and 'thinning the herd' is more valuable in regions where there aren't the same number of anglers or have a larger number of areas to fish.

flyhigh123
04-27-2012, 03:08 PM
What I wish is that i could be out in some of the other states where there are lakes everywhere and bass fishing is not if you will catch one for the day but how many.

I feel like us californians are the most persistent and patient fishers.

Sandman_Tracker
05-03-2012, 01:11 AM
Ummmm.......Have you thought about going to DFG and reading the regs?

By the way, Socal lakes prohibit the possession of LMB of 2" and larger. You might want to avoid the fine and just CPR all of your bass.

brent233
05-03-2012, 01:54 AM
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2012/

Skyler
05-03-2012, 11:18 AM

By the way, Socal lakes prohibit the possession of LMB of 2" and larger. You might want to avoid the fine and just CPR all of your bass.

2" and larger? I assume that was a typo?

The actual size limit is 12". No fish under 12" may be possessed, with a 5 fish limit. However, there are also a series of waters with special regulations setting forth larger minimum size limits and lower bag limits. For instance, Perris, Skinner, and Silverwood have a 15" minimum with a 2 fish limit. At Castiac it's 18". And then some lake allow no possession whatsoever. It's best to read the regs before you fish. Those fines aren't like a parking ticket. A simple fishing without a license charge brings a fine of $1040!

blackberg
05-03-2012, 11:52 AM

I was staying out of this, but that is just wrong when Bass Nazis just start making stuff up

-bb

ushone
05-03-2012, 12:10 PM
damn baseheads i mean bassheads...always making shiet up

Sandman_Tracker
05-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Lmfao... You guys are to f'n serious.... Relax, take a joke and lol once in a while.

Skyler
05-03-2012, 03:57 PM
http://www.auctionbump.com/blogs/media/blogs/blog/soup_nazi_no_fish%20copy.png

HookedUptuber
05-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Iam looking to catch a trophy when I do it's going home regardless if a mob scene is there

DarkShadow
05-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Iam looking to catch a trophy when I do it's going home regardless if a mob scene is there

Make sure you filet the sucker right there on the launch ramp, for the added 'pitchfork and torch' effect.

Perris Bluegill Chaser
05-03-2012, 04:23 PM
All Bass must be 15 inches in length or more with their mouth closed and laying flat.

Bass: 2 of legal size limit (15 inches)
Hey FFN members,

I've just started fishing in the freshwater lakes this year and I am wondering what are the legit size of bass to take home. I know that taking them would hurt the fishing community and so I guess taking the small ones out of the lake won't hurt fellow bass fisherman too much? Well anyway I never taken them before, cept this one time from Lake Hodges. So don't get too offensive bros~

smokehound
05-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Make sure you filet the sucker right there on the launch ramp, for the added 'pitchfork and torch' effect.And/Or use the bass as a fleshlight. :LOL:

t3rry
05-06-2012, 07:45 PM
I think specifically targeting bass with the intent of putting it on the table isn't really logical when you have other fish that are stocked year round Trout / Catfish. Those 2 are continuously stocked year in and year out but as for bass they are responsible for spawning and increasing the population of bass in the lake.

As previously mentioned by someone, if you happen to fish with the intent of putting food on the table and you fish for panfish, trout, or catfish and you happen to hook up on a bass I don't see anything wrong with keeping that one. I guess for me it all comes down to motive and intent.

I personally would target pan fish, trout, and catfish before I ever target bass as sustenance.

Kelster
05-06-2012, 11:03 PM
If you have a valid fishing license, it is of legal size, you caught it legally, DO WHATEVER YOU WANT!!!!!!!
I C&R but it is not my place to tell you what to do.

Fish Dog
05-07-2012, 07:15 AM
If you have a valid fishing license, it is of legal size, you caught it legally, DO WHATEVER YOU WANT!!!!!!!

Finally, someone with the correct answer.

tree
05-07-2012, 08:13 AM

Quoted for mother ******* truth.

Carptain_Bao
05-07-2012, 08:53 AM
If you can actually get em,then it is up to you if u wanna take it home or not. Sooner or later you will find out that it wont be a good idea to take the city park lake bass home.

Bao

TroutOnly
05-07-2012, 09:27 AM
CHECK WITH THE REGS AT THE LAKE YOURE GOING TO FISH AND AS LONG AS YOU ARE NOT BREAKING THE LAW YOU ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG,,,,,,,,,,,MY TAKE IS GREEN CARP TASTE LIKE CRAP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,

DarkShadow
05-07-2012, 10:21 AM
...DO WHATEVER YOU WANT!!!!!!!

http://algeropportunity.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/cartman-i-do-what-i-want.jpg

FishermanStu
05-07-2012, 02:53 PM
And/Or use the bass as a fleshlight. :LOL:

BBBaaaaaahhhhhahahahahahahaha

DarkShadow
05-07-2012, 03:18 PM

So in essence, there is no place for educating current anglers on the benefits of Catch and Release, especially in an area that suffers the amount of pressure like Southern California?

I'm glad somebody told ME what to do, and 25 years later, I'm grateful for their guidance.

I guess that's just me tho.

kaneo
05-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Iam looking to catch a trophy when I do it's going home regardless if a mob scene is there another clown with no clue... sure take a big female bass home, so she cant lay her eggs, and deplete the good gene pool where she came from.... keep the small fish let the big girls go back so she can reproduce.... get a clue hookeduptuber !!

etucker1959
05-08-2012, 04:45 PM

I agree with you it is not your place to tell other's what to do. But there is nothing wrong with trying to educate someone about Largemouth bass. Case in point, a gentlemen this past year caught a 18 lbs lmb at Pyramid lake and kept it. When later someone told him how special that fish was, he answered "I didn't think it was any big deal to kill that fish". Had he known how special that fish was, he said " he would have released her." You know that fish could have grown to world record size. So your right every fishermen has the right to makes up there own mind on what to do with their fish, but a little education is ok too.

smokehound
05-08-2012, 05:01 PM
I agree with you it is not your place to tell other's what to do. But there is nothing wrong with trying to educate someone about Largemouth bass. Case in point, a gentlemen this past year caught a 18 lbs lmb at Pyramid lake and kept it. When later someone told him how special that fish was, he answered "I didn't think it was any big deal to kill that fish". Had he known how special that fish was," he said he would have released her." You know that fish could have grown to world record size. So your right every fishermen has the right to makes up there own mind on what to do with their fish, but a little education is ok too. I dunno, his claim sounded like BS to me. How on earth could you catch such a huge powerful fish, drive it to Last Chance, show it off til it dies, then act like you didn't know?

http://lunkerhunter.com/member_pictures/donalds_bass.jpg

That's a 12 pounder. Now picture it with 6 more pounds on it. That's an enormous fish. Even the most ignorant simpleton would bust a nut and parade the thing all over the place.

(that is not me.)

fishfnatic
05-08-2012, 05:01 PM
If you want to eat LMB, 99 ranch in irvine is having a special... 2.99/lb go get some.

smokehound
05-08-2012, 05:09 PM
If you want to eat LMB, 99 ranch in irvine is having a special... 2.99/lb go get some.Ugh.. I hate that place, all the fish have horrible sores.

DarkShadow
05-08-2012, 07:36 PM
I dunno, his claim sounded like BS to me. How on earth could you catch such a huge powerful fish, drive it to Last Chance, show it off til it dies, then act like you didn't know?

Smoke Dogg,

I think the guy was referring to the "Pyramid 18 Pounder," not the latest Perris pig that was caught recently.

You remember the 18 pounder thread, right?

It's the one where they finally posted a pic and it looked like it was an 8 pounder. The thread went Bye Bye when the forum died a few weeks ago.

Kelster
05-08-2012, 07:47 PM
I've got fish to catch, you guys can continue :Dead Horse:

etucker1959
05-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Make sure you filet the sucker right there on the launch ramp, for the added 'pitchfork and torch' effect.

Very Very clever statement. I could imagine the scene in my head and it would play out that way. In reality it would probably turn to violence.

Jamesbryantoeng
05-09-2012, 01:04 PM
I am just gonna take home bass that doesn't have a big mutherfuckin belly man. Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate your opinions.

Skyler
05-09-2012, 04:48 PM
I am just gonna take home bass that doesn't have a big mutherfuckin belly man.

You kiss your mother with that mouth?

rel
05-09-2012, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=Jamesbryantoeng;605154]I am just gonna take home bass that doesn't have a big mutherfuckin belly man. Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate your opinions.[/QU fake

rel
05-09-2012, 07:24 PM
fake muther