PDA

View Full Version : 31 1/2 inch ButterFly Ray on the Aurora Baby Croaker FM 110 4/24/12PM Report Carlsbad

kastmaster1337
04-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Well I headed out after work trying to keep the streak alive. Started Last Sat. No skunks since then. Only fishing the BH 3" and mostly Lucky Craft FM 110 Chovy,Baby Croaker, SP Dan saw the color of the LC. It looks like a baby yellow fin. It's pretty cool looking. Arrived at 2:45 PM. First day since I went there that it was sunny :Evil: I was hoping for over cast skies. It's my favorite time to fish. Broke the skunk with a Spotted Bay Bass on the 3" Big Hammer Sexy Smelt.

No WSB here today and I really think the sun had something to do with this. I know they are still around. Ill be ready for em. Lucky Craft in hand. Left for home after 1 hour of fishing and decided to stop by the surf and try some chuckin with the LC. Saw some troughs and some structure and started working the holes.

This next part is crazy and i'll try to describe it the best I can. It was pretty fun now that I look back at it. About fifteen minutes in I feel a big thud. First thought kelp, i did have my line tight. I was like darn =(. All of a sudden zzzzzzzzzzzzzz Drag starts singing. The funny part now is I see this big flop, I see brown, It was Flat, I was like Big Halibutt!!! LOL My adrenaline started pumping and it was fish on. Fought her 20 minutes going up and down the rocks. She was a beast and she had tremendous power. Held on the whole way and glided her in and the crowd stopped by and cheered. Asked a guy to take some pics, so thanks for the pics! I don't know the weight but she was pretty hefty. It was a blast catching this amazing creature on the Luck Craft as well!! Good times!! Here's the pics. I wasn't planning on being on the rocks long with flip flops, but the Ray had other ideas. i was fishing from a sandy break in the rocks.

It was a little straining lifting her up. I was being very careful of the tail of course! I was trying to do my best Jeremy Wade impression. HAHA!! :Envious:

more pics.

First ButterFly and just goes to show how versatile the lure (LC) really is. I'll take the lucky snag any day especially for a fight like that.

Thanks for reading and good luck out there. Lines tight!

:Singing In Rain: The rain is coming tonight!! We need it bad too!

-Joel

Wingnut
04-25-2012, 05:55 PM
You're on a roll! Those big Butterfly Rays will give you a run for the money.
PM sent! :Wink:

SP Dan
04-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Hey kastmaster1337!

NOW...that's one heck of a monstrous Butterfly Ray!! :Applause: WTG Joel!
You are definitely putting in the quality time needed in order to achieve the high quality and variety of fish that you have! :EyePop:

I'm looking forward my friend to your next exciting report with pic's!
You've got me all excited about my next session this coming Sunday! I can't wait! :Wink:

Thanx for the fun reports with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

bachiboy
04-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Wow, you are on a roll! Nice work and great read...again.:Wink:

Mr_Dunev
04-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Nice ray. I watched my friend catch one of those in Long Beach, and it was flapping on top of the water like it was trying to fly away. Pretty fun to watch actually. Great job, and you have a very convincing Jeremy Wade Impression :LOL:

Looking forward to more reports!
Best,
Lucas

frankjz
04-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Great looking ray. I was on the Outer Banks in October. A team of four guys were fighting a gigantic raw from the pier. It surfaced a couple of times and they estimated it weight nearly 200lbs. They never got it to shore. All four guys in 15 minute rotation for 2 hours finally cut the line.

fz

murrieta angler
04-28-2012, 10:34 AM
The butterfly rays will make you think you have a halibut for sure.
But once it starts going paralel with the beach, you know it isn't a flatty.
Robert
<><>