PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 day charter tips! Please give me some

flyhigh123
04-25-2012, 03:37 PM
I haven't fished deep sea in a long time. I'm borrowing 2 rods from my friend to do a half day for my wife and I.

What is the best way to rig for these days?

What size and type of hooks?

What size sinkers?

Thanks for the help!

sodapop
04-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Where ever you go out fishing, the crew and the landing will tell you what to buy and how to rig.

They will have best advice.

Ifishtoolittle
04-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Which landing are you planning on going to?

fish_sauce
04-25-2012, 04:00 PM
hooks: size 2/0 and 3/0 I would also bring some smaller (size 4, size 6) hooks just in case you want to catch fish like sheepheads or perch

sinkers: torpedos in 4oz, 6oz, and 8oz.

sliding sinkers in 1/2oz, 3/4oz, and 1oz.

line around 20 to 30lb test should be okay, 15lb might be difficult if you're fishing deep. make sure there is at least 200 yards of line left on the spools just in case the boat decides to fish at a deeper depth for rock fish.

the most recommended set up would be two dropper loops with a sinker at the bottom for rockfish/bass
if you're fishing for sculpin make sure the dropper loops are wide and about 5 inches from the tip where you tie your sinker, it'll increase your chances.

you could also experiment with the reverse dropper loop.

do a search on youtube, there are plenty of vids that will show you how to tie these basic knots.

I would give the landing that you're planning to head out a call to ask them what they've been catching, and what has been working, and then go from there.

good luck, and looking forward to the report!

Andrew.

flyhigh123
04-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Which landing are you planning on going to?

thinking newport landing

flyhigh123
04-25-2012, 04:05 PM
thanks for the advice guys!

flyhigh123
04-25-2012, 04:07 PM
hooks: size 2/0 and 3/0 I would also bring some smaller (size 4, size 6) hooks just in case you want to catch fish like sheepheads or perch

sinkers: torpedos in 4oz, 6oz, and 8oz.

sliding sinkers in 1/2oz, 3/4oz, and 1oz.

line around 20 to 30lb test should be okay, 15lb might be difficult if you're fishing deep. make sure there is at least 200 yards of line left on the spools just in case the boat decides to fish at a deeper depth for rock fish.

the most recommended set up would be two dropper loops with a sinker at the bottom for rockfish/bass
if you're fishing for sculpin make sure the dropper loops are wide and about 5 inches from the tip where you tie your sinker, it'll increase your chances.

you could also experiment with the reverse dropper loop.

do a search on youtube, there are plenty of vids that will show you how to tie these basic knots.

I would give the landing that you're planning to head out a call to ask them what they've been catching, and what has been working, and then go from there.

good luck, and looking forward to the report!

Andrew.

Do I cut the dropper loops so it is 1 long line or do i keep the loop and put a hook at the end?

fish_sauce
04-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Do I cut the dropper loops so it is 1 long line or do i keep the loop and put a hook at the end?

I don't think it matters much. I always leave the loops, it's easier to untangle. Some people like to cut it so the presentation looks nice but I've tried both and haven't notice a difference in either one. If they're there, and they're hungry, they're gonna bite it, especially bottom fish.

I think the more important thing is to pay attention to where (what depth) people are catching fish at - whether they are leaving their bait on the bottom or whether they are winding their bait a few feet off the bottom. On slow days, a couple feet of line makes a big difference--find the bite zone and you'll be set!

Ifishtoolittle
04-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Since fish sauce has got you well rounded in terms of tackle I don't have much more to offer in terms of advice. I can say this much though, if the boat has a lot of patrons that day you should go the bow of the boat to avoid the fine mess of tangles one always gets at the stern of the boat. Also, the transducer for the fish finder on the boat is usually attached to the bow of the boat. So, when ever the captain describes the structure you will always be the first one to get access to it.

Oh and bring a cup or something to hold some squid so you won't need to run back and forth to get bait.

Armofisher818
04-25-2012, 04:34 PM
I went on alot of these charters and the best tip I can give you is to pick the largest, most active fish there is in the live well, and if they have squid, hook it in the head the captain and deckhands would bullshit about hooking the squid from the tip and not the eyes to make it look lively, NO!! That's bullshit I've seen a whole boat get skunked by thanking that hook it from the eye. Another thing I've found that works is to put the head of the squid, just the head, on your hook then take the largest bait in the live well and nose hook it on the same hook so the squids tentacles fall over the fishes head this one is a killer tactic you don't even wait for a fish they bits it once it touches the bottom. Good luck and post a report go to San Pedro 22nd street landing just call and make sure if they have a half day and you should call for any landing twilight half days are the best.

flyhigh123
04-25-2012, 04:40 PM
I went on alot of these charters and the best tip I can give you is to pick the largest, most active fish there is in the live well, and if they have squid, hook it in the head the captain and deckhands would bullshit about hooking the squid from the tip and not the eyes to make it look lively, NO!! That's bullshit I've seen a whole boat get skunked by thanking that hook it from the eye. Another thing I've found that works is to put the head of the squid, just the head, on your hook then take the largest bait in the live well and nose hook it on the same hook so the squids tentacles fall over the fishes head this one is a killer tactic you don't even wait for a fish they bits it once it touches the bottom. Good luck and post a report go to San Pedro 22nd street landing just call and make sure if they have a half day and you should call for any landing twilight half days are the best.

hey, are you saying hook it from the top of squid or through the eye. Just got confused.

Armofisher818
04-25-2012, 05:30 PM
hey, are you saying hook it from the top of squid or through the eye. Just got confused.

Sorry if I confused you hook it from the eye not the top.

DockRat
04-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Hook the tail, betwen the 2 fins. Stays alive.
DR

flyhigh123
04-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Dockrat: are you referring to live sardines and anchovies or the squid? The squid is normally frozen from what i remember

lightning trout
04-26-2012, 11:14 PM
I went on alot of these charters and the best tip I can give you is to pick the largest, most active fish there is in the live well, and if they have squid, hook it in the head the captain and deckhands would bullshit about hooking the squid from the tip and not the eyes to make it look lively, NO!! That's bullshit I've seen a whole boat get skunked by thanking that hook it from the eye. Another thing I've found that works is to put the head of the squid, just the head, on your hook then take the largest bait in the live well and nose hook it on the same hook so the squids tentacles fall over the fishes head this one is a killer tactic you don't even wait for a fish they bits it once it touches the bottom. Good luck and post a report go to San Pedro 22nd street landing just call and make sure if they have a half day and you should call for any landing twilight half days are the best. oh my gosh this is some funny chit

smokehound
04-27-2012, 04:32 AM
oh my gosh this is some funny chitKeep thy pimp hand strong. Be ready to use it in case the person next to you decides to flyline a mack.

DockRat
04-27-2012, 06:49 AM
Tail hook the live squid, even dead. They swim tail first.
Yep usually frozen, strips work good too.

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt167/outbackyak/Fishing%20Stuff/giant-squid.jpg

DockRat
04-27-2012, 06:53 AM
Keep thy pimp hand strong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7AgFt0lai8

Armofisher818
04-27-2012, 10:25 AM
oh my gosh this is some funny chit

If that's funny to you, why don't we both go on a half day charter and you can hook your squid through the top and I can hook it through the head and well see who goes home with more fish. And if you guys read he said 1/2 day not full day or multi day. When it's multi day or full day go ahead and fly line a live sardine or squid but were talking 1/2 day here where the only thing you catch is rockfish and the occasional barracuda. And p.s, there's no trout in the ocean

flyhigh123
04-27-2012, 12:26 PM
thanks guys.

Also, newport is booked full so i'm doing the redondo half day.

smokehound
04-29-2012, 05:23 AM
If that's funny to you, why don't we both go on a half day charter and you can hook your squid through the top and I can hook it through the head and well see who goes home with more fish. And if you guys read he said 1/2 day not full day or multi day. When it's multi day or full day go ahead and fly line a live sardine or squid but were talking 1/2 day here where the only thing you catch is rockfish and the occasional barracuda. And p.s, there's no trout in the oceanActually, there are trout in the ocean. Rainbow trout, Brown Trout, Brook trout, and Cutthroat trout. Every once in a while, people catch sea-run 'Bows in NPH and DPH.

People occasionally catch salmon and steelhead while surf-fishing, too.

etucker1959
04-29-2012, 09:33 PM
It's still bottomfish season now which is ok, but the 4th of July time period is the peak time for the surface action. Have fun now, but you should give that a try also.