PDA

View Full Version : looking for a s bay pier were the macks

Hometown
04-24-2012, 08:09 PM
I am in the southbay looking to catch a few mackeral for catfish bait any one know a good pier as of late tia

DockRat
04-24-2012, 08:59 PM
KH At the bubble has been going off 6 - 8 pm. Rocks or pier. AES power plant has been on almost 2 weeks. Small and med Macs, huge horse sardines hitting the sabiki too.
The short pier has been open till about 6:30 lately or hit Samba.
Tons of life down there now.
DR

Ifishtoolittle
04-24-2012, 09:04 PM
KH At the bubble has been going off 6 - 8 pm. Rocks or pier. AES power plant has been on almost 2 weeks. Small and med Macs, huge horse sardines hitting the sabiki too.
The short pier has been open till about 6:30 lately or hit Samba.
Tons of life down there now.
DR

^ What he said. When I was there the fish ranged from your typical 10" to your 1' models

DockRat
04-24-2012, 09:05 PM
I am in the southbay
Is San Pedro in the South Bay ?
Nope. Only PV to PDR. Sorry.
DR :Confused:

DockRat
04-24-2012, 09:13 PM
^ What he said. When I was there the fish ranged from your typical 10" to your 1' models

There is some Spanish macs in the mix there too.
No predators for me caught except 1 Pelican.
I did get a 5 second drag burner on a kroc fishing the bottom under the bait.
Butt, Ray, WSB ? It was running hard and passed the bubble bouy. Cranked down on the drag a little and it came unhooked.
DR

Ifishtoolittle
04-24-2012, 09:30 PM
There is some Spanish macs in the mix there too.
No predators for me caught except 1 Pelican.
I did get a 5 second drag burner on a kroc fishing the bottom under the bait.
Butt, Ray, WSB ? It was running hard and passed the bubble bouy. Cranked down on the drag a little and it came unhooked.
DR

Spanish Macs, really? At the short pier? Oh and I bet the unbuttoned fish was a butt'.

DockRat
04-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Spanish Macs, really? At the short pier? Oh and I bet the unbuttoned fish was a butt'.
Probably right. I went back with a jig stick and caught sardines on a spinning rod then fished the bottom the next day. Had some cormorants stealing my bait. I'm sure there is some predators around. Looking for the KH Rogue Yellowtail.
DR

Ifishtoolittle
04-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Probably right. I went back with a jig stick and caught sardines on a spinning rod then fished the bottom the next day. Had some cormorants stealing my bait. I'm sure there is some predators around. Looking for the KH Rogue Yellowtail.
DR

If there's one place to to nail a Yellow from shore it would be KH. When you catch one be sure to photograph it.

Hometown
04-24-2012, 11:24 PM
:Big Grin:thanks DR and IFTL and yes DR pedro is southbay but not Santa monica bay:LOL::LOL::LOL:

blackberg
04-24-2012, 11:31 PM
the bubble is the one right next to the short pier right?
in front of the restaurant?

-bb

jaggerbub
04-25-2012, 03:05 PM
I went to Balboa pier this morning for some catfish bait. Macs were hitting sabikis good this morning. Didnt catch any off the white sabikis. Got a bad tangle and switched out my whites for the colorful metallic sabikis and caught enough for my next two trips in about 30 mins. I noticed all the guys without any color didnt get much action. They were hitting close to shore. Anyone fishing the second half of the pier was just watching. Even saw a california grey whale within casting range of the pier. Awesome morning...

DockRat
04-25-2012, 06:29 PM
the bubble is the one right next to the short pier right?
in front of the restaurant?-bb
Yup,

I went to Balboa pier this morning for some catfish bait. Macs were hitting sabikis good this morning. .
Good job on the Macs.
DR

Hometown
04-25-2012, 11:32 PM
thanks again Dr I went today after work got to the short pier at 1:00 pm fished about 2 hrs got 2 on the crok. wanted to come back after the sun set but the wind and rain picked up down here at SP and will try to find some bait
and one of the asian markets the seals and birds were all up on the bubble and the macks were trying to bite so if theweather didnt turn i pretty sure i they bit once the sun set

DockRat
04-26-2012, 06:25 AM
To really load up on Macs use bait to catch them. chum them too.
Even 1/4" diced mac cubes work good, anchovy chunks. squid pieces.
They don't always hit the Kroc or Kastmaster that good there.
Got down there at 5 but the wind was blowing hard.
DR