PDA

View Full Version : Time well spent back home and finally a LEGAL!!!

dlmoo312
04-24-2012, 01:20 AM
To start things off, I had decided to head up home on saturday to visit my parents in LA. I hadn't been home in a long time, and I coudn't have picked a better weekend! I didn't plan on fishing at first because I was hitching a ride with a couple friends and there was no room for my gear, but after hearing that Thien had just landed his first WSB I had a huge urge to go fishing. I was excited that he had finally landed one and on top of that it was a legal! Great job on the quality fish btw and I can only hope to be lucky enough to catch one too! My time back home was short so I decided to spend saturday and sunday with my parents and catch a quick evening session with Thien on my way back to SD. Luckily he had an extra setup I could use and I brought a couple of LC's with me since they don't take up much room :Smile:

After eating lunch with my parents on sunday and saying our goodbyes, I headed out to the same area that Thien had landed his WSB. I remember passing by this area before but this was my first time fishing it. This was also my first time breaking in my new waders and I was amazed at how much warmer and versatile they were compared to my wetsuit. It was nice being able to wear the waders over my shorts and t-shirt I had been wearing all day! Anyways, I got down to the water and started casting around some structure and on my third cast I get hit pretty hard! I'm immediately excited because it felt like nothing I had ever hooked before and it was on the LC! After the initial hit, the fish took a very strong drag-pulling run only to stop short. It took a few more runs only to stop short. At this point I was beginning to wonder what was at the end of my line, but whatever it was, I was definitely not about to lose it! When it was within ten feet of the edge of the water a huge tail whipped out of the water and I knew right then that it was a huge haibut :Shocked: Both Thien and I stared at each other for a moment after realizing what we had seen. I snapped out of it and proceeded to beach the brute. I was able to breathe a sigh of relief after Thien grabbed it by the tail and brought it up onto shore. I was in utter amazement and way too happy :Big Grin: My first legal halibut from the surf!!! The fish measured out to 29.5". Here are some pictures

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/photo10.jpg

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/photo7.jpg

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/photo6.jpg

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/photo5.jpg

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/photo3.jpg

Always release you PB right?? It definitely felt like the right thing to do
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/photo.jpg

After releasing the halibut we returned to the water to fish some more. On my first cast I hear the all-too-familiar snap that I read about on other reports. During my battle my line had tangled and I had sent my LC flying. I was in too good of a mood to care so I untangled my line, tied on my spare LC, and continued fishing. Now, after about 20 minutes of fishing, I saw the figure of my lost LC as it washed up to shore. I figured it must have been Poseidon returning the favor for the CPR'ed fish! :Big Grin:

Later that day I also hooked onto a large leopard shark. It fought for a good 20 minutes without tiring out. I was trying my best to take my time because I've always wanted to land a leo. I was able to bring it in close numerous times but each time it would take off with a drag-peeling run. Unfortunately it came unbuttoned. That was it for the day and I was grinning all the way back to SD :Big Grin:

I know we're both busy with school but it was great fishing with you again, Thien! and thanks for the photos, Shallom! I now have a renewed determination to continue to fish anytime I have a break in my schedule :LOL: If anyone ever plans on fishing down south feel free to hit me up! I would love to land a legal in SD before my time down here is up! Thanks for reading my report and tight lines everyone!

Which Way Out
04-24-2012, 08:40 AM
I see a nickname for you two. The dynamic duo. :Big Grin:

Legal WSB by Thien and nearly a 30" Butt by you all in the same weekend, Wow. Students of the surf for sure as well.
Congratulations

WWO

Mr_Dunev
04-24-2012, 08:47 AM
Nice Fish, very well done! You guys had a great weekend, and that is a NICE first legal from the surf!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can tell your hooked for life!

Great job again,
Lucas

bones
04-24-2012, 11:27 AM
AWESOME job out there boyz and major props with the catch and release. As I have always said.....Let them go so they can grow. Future generations depend on it.

Keep up the great work.....If that return of your LC wasn't proof enough that "KARMA" exists.....Nothing is!

Wingnut
04-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Wow, that spot has been pumping out some nice fish for the past couple of weeks and I'm all tied up with work. :Envious:
Congrats Daniel on your first legal Halibut and it was a beauty! I think you got Thien beat by about an inch, but he is leading you in the White Sea Bass category. :Wink: Love the friendly competition between you two. It drives the both of you to succeed. :Cool:
I'm very impressed with and commend you for the release, trust me, good Karma will follow you. :Thumbs Up:

I'll send three LCs to whoever catches the first 30" + Halibut between you and Thien. :Big Grin:

bachiboy
04-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Now that's what I call a welcome home present!!!:Beer Toast: Way to go man! Nice hit and run...

bachiboy
04-24-2012, 03:13 PM
I'll send three LCs to whoever catches the first 30" + Halibut between you and Thien. :Big Grin:

Dang Arthur, you're gonna start making these kids skip school if you don't be careful. :ROFL:

bloox8
04-24-2012, 07:09 PM
CONGRATZ again man! I knew you were going to catch a legal soon enough! And I know you will catch more in the future :Big Grin:
Now go get a legal on SD territory :EyePop:

Wow, that spot has been pumping out some nice fish for the past couple of weeks and I'm all tied up with work. :Envious:
Congrats Daniel on your first legal Halibut and it was a beauty! I think you got Thien beat by about an inch, but he is leading you in the White Sea Bass category. :Wink: Love the friendly competition between you two. It drives the both of you to succeed. :Cool:
I'm very impressed with and commend you for the release, trust me, good Karma will follow you. :Thumbs Up:

OMG LOL!! New challenge... Bring it on Daniel!!! :Big Grin:

SP Dan
04-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Hey there dlmoo312!

WOW!...WOW!...WOW!!
Congrat's on that beautiful first legal Hali!! She is... "FLAT OUT"... gorgeous!! :Beer Toast:

Thanx Danial for the fun read with pic's! :Cool:
Also...you've gained my respect brotha for the CPR...thank you! :Thumbs Up:

SP dan <"))><

blackwater
04-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Wow, you guys tore it up last weekend. Nicely done and kudos on the release. :Thumbs Up:

LBSea
04-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Wow, that is a great catch especially for using your Trout Rod. :)

Nice to see the release also.

Tight Lines.

lip rippin sob
04-25-2012, 11:35 AM
good job dude,nice first flat fer sher!!!!!!!!!!

DockRat
04-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Great job on the Hali.
DR

dlmoo312
04-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks for reading and all the encouraging comments, everyone!

AWESOME job out there boyz and major props with the catch and release. As I have always said.....Let them go so they can grow. Future generations depend on it.

Keep up the great work.....If that return of your LC wasn't proof enough that "KARMA" exists.....Nothing is!

I agree completely, it's our duty as fisherman to make sure we conserve our natural resources so that there's more fish to catch in the future!:Cool:
Finding my lost LC right after catching the hali made me a believer of that "karma" haha

Challenge accepted! :Envious:

Dang Arthur, you're gonna start making these kids skip school if you don't be careful. :ROFL:

I'd take fishing over school anyday:LOL:

I see a nickname for you two. The dynamic duo. :Big Grin:

Legal WSB by Thien and nearly a 30" Butt by you all in the same weekend, Wow. Students of the surf for sure as well.
Congratulations

WWO

A 30"+ hali and WSB are definitely what i'm going for next!

Nice Fish, very well done! You guys had a great weekend, and that is a NICE first legal from the surf!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can tell your hooked for life!

Great job again,
Lucas

Surf fishing with the LC is all thats on my mind after landing that fish:Smile:

Hey there dlmoo312!

WOW!...WOW!...WOW!!
Congrat's on that beautiful first legal Hali!! She is... "FLAT OUT"... gorgeous!! :Beer Toast:

Thanx Danial for the fun read with pic's! :Cool:
Also...you've gained my respect brotha for the CPR...thank you! :Thumbs Up:

SP dan <"))><

Thanks, SP dan! It felt great knowing that fish would be able live to grow even bigger! haha

Wow, that is a great catch especially for using your Trout Rod. :)

Nice to see the release also.

Tight Lines.

I was lucky Thien had an extra setup or else I wouldn't have this story to share. Luckily the rod held up :Smile:

sidified
04-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Congrats... A score like that will give you even more patience to get through the inevitable slow days....
On the other hand, a slew of slow days may send you into deep depression and we'll have to take away your shoelaces and all pointy objects (debs on the LCs) :ROFL:

'Crack' those books...
Sid

murrieta angler
04-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Sweet looking flatty Daniel & Congratulations!!!
You got a nice fish and spent some time with your Bro...can't beat that...:Big Grin:
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

flyngby
05-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Daniel,

So close to the 30 mark but regardless a great Flattie from the shores!

You will be rewarded for the release!

Steve http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/OliveHerring.jpg

klocked
05-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Nice fish Daniel!! Way to go man! Sorry for the late reply, been working hard and I'm to the point where I'll take a skunk in the surf if I could even get out there!~

WILSSPORT&TACKLE
05-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Really nice fish!!!! If it's your first make it a good one! Nice job!!!!