PDA

View Full Version : Short Report 4-22-12

man0fsteel
04-23-2012, 09:48 AM
So my buddy bachiboy gets these hall passes and is having too much fun catching fish and losing LCs so I figured I'd better do my part.

Fishing didn't even seem like an option this weekend as I took my son and a group of his boys up to Sharktooth Hill on the outskirts of Bakersfield to do a fossil dig and work on the Geology Merit Badge. Well, since this is a fishing forum, I'll take a second to talk about fishing for prehistoric fish remnants...

In the oil derrick filled hills of Bakersfield, there is a world class fossil bed, locally known as Sharktooth hill. It's a fossil laden bed about 18" thick and has an incredible amount of marine fossils ranging from prehistoric sea lions, whale bones, and so many shark teeth that you can't take 2 steps without seeing them on the ground. I've included a couple pictures of our bounty.

We got up there early Saturday and it was blazing hot. Sunday morning at 7:30 AM it was probably 80 F and rising. I did manage to see that meteor streaking thru the morning sky though! We pack up and head home at about 10:30 AM when I check my cell phone and see a text from my other fishing buddy seeing if I had time to fish. At that point, crusted with salt, sweat, and dust, nothing sounded better than to hit the surf! I guess we would have to unpack later :Rolls Eyes:

My son says he's too pooped to go so I tell him to shower up and don't burn the house down. I'd be back in a couple hours. I toss my gear in the car and head down to the spot. Of course, my buddy decides to fish a mile from where I parked but it was overcast and cool so I didn't mind the walk. Conditions looked great, small surf, outgoing tide, lots of trenches and clear water. When I meet up with my buddy, he'd landed a corbina on the LC. I get my gear on and start working a sardine LC pattern.

Things looked so fishy, but nothing was coming my way. I could see little leopard sharks swimming by my feet, and some bigger corbina swimming in the shallows, all taunting me. I'd been fishing about 45 minutes when my buddy had to take off. 10 minutes after he leaves, I get my first tug. But what ever it is, it feels small and comes in pretty easy. When the whitewater clears, I see I've hooked my first halibut! A short one but my first one and I'm stoked. I take a picture and text my buddy and then I'm back at it. Of course, as luck would have it, an over exuberant cast fouled up and stopped my spool...but not my LC. :Evil:

I tied on another LC and fished for another hour when an unrecoverable birds nest told me it was time to head home. All in all, a great way to finish the weekend.347493475034751

Mr_Dunev
04-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Congrats on your first Hali. You have entered a world there is NO going back from. Soon it's all you'll dream about. Night after night you will wake up in a cold sweat thinking you have a BIG one on the end of your line, but only find your still in bed and not on the beach. Not speaking from personal experience or anything haha.

Nice 'butt keep 'em coming!
Lucas

man0fsteel
04-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Congrats on your first Hali. You have entered a world there is NO going back from. Soon it's all you'll dream about. Night after night you will wake up in a cold sweat thinking you have a BIG one on the end of your line, but only find your still in bed and not on the beach. Not speaking from personal experience or anything haha.

Nice 'butt keep 'em coming!
Lucas

LMAO! :ROFL: I'm glad I set the coffee down cause it would have come out my nose reading your post! But yes, now that I know that these things do exist in places other than my dreams, I'll be back. But at this rate, I need to restock my supply of LCs...I'm down to my last 2!

Which Way Out
04-23-2012, 10:31 AM
I've never been to Shark hill, but I have hiked a trail years ago in Colorado near Wolf Creek Pass that is known for tons of Sharks teeth. Somewhere around 10,000 foot elevation. Amazing to think that area was under the ocean. We found a lot them just imbedded into the hillside.

Anyway you got a short for all your trouble and that's a good thing. I guess the house didn't burn down, or are you using a smart phone to do your report?:Razz:

WWO

Wingnut
04-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Congrats on your first Hali, you'll never forget your first. :Big Grin:
That Zebra Sardine LC is an old-school reliable pattern. I started surf fishing throwing the Metallic Sardine and the Zebra Sardine patterns. Got my first Halibut on it too. :Wink:
Now go get yourself a legal!

bloox8
04-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Congrats on your first Butt!!

I remember how it felt when i caught my first butt! I was getting tips on how to dropshot at LB from kidfish and ended up with 3 shorts that day! I didnt care how short they were! I was still stoked!

Hopefully you'll get your first legal soon. I'll be here waiting for your report lol.

I have hiked a trail years ago in Colorado near Wolf Creek Pass that is known for tons of Sharks teeth. Somewhere around 10,000 foot elevation. Amazing to think that area was under the ocean.

WWO

This blows my mind....

Thien

bachiboy
04-23-2012, 01:58 PM
But at this rate, I need to restock my supply of LCs...I'm down to my last 2!

If you'd get off your [blank] and get out there with me and Nate, you could just follow me around and wait for our lost LCs to wash up on shore...you should have a couple dozen by the end of the month. :LOL: We seem to be losing them at a very good pace at this point.

Congrats on the pancake...the legal's only a few casts away.

Armofisher818
04-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Nice fish those teeth are sick how old are those things?

man0fsteel
04-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Nice fish those teeth are sick how old are those things?

The teeth come from Round Hill Silt formation that dates back approx 12-14 Million years ago. C. Megalodon teeth are found here (and are worth a few LCs).

SP Dan
04-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Hi ya man0fsteel!

Congratulations on your first of many Halibuts to come your way! :Big Smile::Applause:
Nothing does the head shake quite like a Hali!
Luved the shark tooth collection! :Wink:

Thanks for the fun read w/ pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

murrieta angler
04-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Congrats with your first, of many, halibut.
The fossils are cool also.
Robert
<><