PDA

View Full Version : Newport harbor

Armofisher818
04-22-2012, 08:09 PM
bought my new kayak today and wanted to test it out the guy lived right in front of the harbor and i launched at some little sandy spot that said danger end of storm drain. I fished but not so seriously i was enjoying the kayak more a big emprovement from my old one now i got to trick this one out didnt catch anything was using a 3" big hammer in bay smelt sky was overcast but kind of warm not a bad day though im happy i got the yak. i almost broke my rod too it was in the front rod holder and when i was going under a bridge the rod got on it and bent like crazy i was waiting for the snap but luckily it dint it just camer loose.

pics

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa383/armofisher818/Snapbucket/F1E6024B.jpg
on my way home
http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa383/armofisher818/Snapbucket/0612B39C.jpg

SP Dan
04-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Hi ya Armofisher818,

Nice looking yak! You're going to have a blast with it this season!: Thumbs Up:

Thank you for the pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Which Way Out
04-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Did you happen to see some knucklehead with a brand new boat thrashing about in the harbor by any chance today??????:LOL::ROFL::Big Smile: :whistle:
I crack myself up sometimes.

Sorry Armofisher, it's an inside joke that I am sure will come back at me soon.
Otherwise nice ride.

WWO

Armofisher818
04-22-2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys I would've taken more pics but didn't wanna mess up my phone plus I didn't catch anything an it's a prowler 13 if anyone's wondering

smokehound
04-23-2012, 01:16 AM
Thanks guys I would've taken more pics but didn't wanna mess up my phone plus I didn't catch anything an it's a prowler 13 if anyone's wonderingtry getting some unibutter, that works great. It makes your lures more attractive when they're sitting still on the bottom.

One tip-- Dont just make one cast at a dock and keep moving, stick around each dock for at least 10 minutes. Thats a mistake I made when I first hit the harbor. Cover every inch you can. Spotties generally dont swim far for their prey, so you gotta hit every portion of water around those docks! Let your bait sit for at least 30 seconds before you move it, alot of times, people will end up getting the lure right in front of a bass, but then they retrieve it as soon as it hits the bottom, and they end up leaving the strike zone.

The docks arent the only structure, try targeting mooring anchors, boats with algae encrusted on them which havent moved in months, buoys, storm drain pipes..

When the tide comes in more, there'll usually be spotties poking their heads out of those pipes.

One more thing-- when your lure is sinking after your cast, put slack in the line! If you dont, your lure will swing back towards you as it sinks. Not good.

Mr_Dunev
04-23-2012, 06:33 AM
Thats a nice yak. I am glad your rod didn't snap either, that would have runined your first experence for sure!! I have never fished the harbors before, but I suggest reading EVERY report you can with a notepad infront of you, and make notes on what color baits they were using at different times etc. Thanks for the report I hope you have a great summer on your new Fishing Machine!!

Wingnut
04-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Did you happen to see some knucklehead with a brand new boat thrashing about in the harbor by any chance today??????:LOL::ROFL::Big Smile: :whistle:
I crack myself up sometimes.

Sorry Armofisher, it's an inside joke that I am sure will come back at me soon.
Otherwise nice ride.

WWO

Hahahaha... nice jab Bill. :Big Smile: Didn't take the new S.W.A.T. Assault Vessel out on Sunday, forgot to charge the battery to the trolling motor, rookies, LOL :Embarrassed:

Hit the local surf for a couple of hours Sunday afternoon for nothing, but it was good to finally get back in the surf after a few weeks. :Big Grin:

Armofisher, congrats on the new yak, you're going to have a blast with it. :Thumbs Up:
Good luck and be safe out there. :Cool:

Armofisher818
04-23-2012, 04:44 PM
try getting some unibutter, that works great. It makes your lures more attractive when they're sitting still on the bottom.

One tip-- Dont just make one cast at a dock and keep moving, stick around each dock for at least 10 minutes. Thats a mistake I made when I first hit the harbor. Cover every inch you can. Spotties generally dont swim far for their prey, so you gotta hit every portion of water around those docks! Let your bait sit for at least 30 seconds before you move it, alot of times, people will end up getting the lure right in front of a bass, but then they retrieve it as soon as it hits the bottom, and they end up leaving the strike zone.

The docks arent the only structure, try targeting mooring anchors, boats with algae encrusted on them which havent moved in months, buoys, storm drain pipes..

When the tide comes in more, there'll usually be spotties poking their heads out of those pipes.

One more thing-- when your lure is sinking after your cast, put slack in the line! If you dont, your lure will swing back towards you as it sinks. Not good.

Thanks for the tips bro I will try them the guy thy sold it to me lived 100 yards fr the launch area and went out regularly he told me to use white colors so I got the bay smelt. And when I casted I just reeled the fish back in reallllyyy slowly it was going on the bottom. Gotta go to Bob sands and stock up on some gear!!

Armofisher818
04-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Thats a nice yak. I am glad your rod didn't snap either, that would have runined your first experence for sure!! I have never fished the harbors before, but I suggest reading EVERY report you can with a notepad infront of you, and make notes on what color baits they were using at different times etc. Thanks for the report I hope you have a great summer on your new Fishing Machine!!

Thanks i was so happy that thin didn't snap it was my favorite rod god didnt want to ruin my day or else that thing was gonna break like a twig

Armofisher818
04-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Hahahaha... nice jab Bill. :Big Smile: Didn't take the new S.W.A.T. Assault Vessel out on Sunday, forgot to charge the battery to the trolling motor, rookies, LOL :Embarrassed:

Hit the local surf for a couple of hours Sunday afternoon for nothing, but it was good to finally get back in the surf after a few weeks. :Big Grin:

Armofisher, congrats on the new yak, you're going to have a blast with it. :Thumbs Up:
Good luck and be safe out there. :Cool:
Thanks wingnut charge that battery next time lol

murrieta angler
04-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Nice looking yak.
During the right conditions, the harbor is a great place to be.
Now you can assault from both ways.
Robert
<><