PDA

View Full Version : Some Newbie Float Tube Questions

See Chris Fish
04-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks to this site I'm definately going to be getting a float tube. I do have some questions though.
I fish mostly at Irvine Lake.

1. Do you have to launch at the boat ramps or just anywhere on the shore?

2. On the really cold days, is it possible to put one of those "heat packs" in the stockingfoot of my wader to keep the toes warm, like when I snow ski?

3. For those who wear a PFD while on the water, do you wear an inflatible or foam? I saw a vest at Bass Pro that is meant for kayakers that is like a fly fisher's vest but floats. Anyone use one of these?

Thanks in advance for any answers I get.

one_leg
04-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Put one of those HeatPacks in your shirt pocket over your heart and it'll help keep you warm all day.

lipripperzo
04-23-2007, 09:53 PM
1. i launch my float tube from whereever i am fishing from
2. if u have stocking foot waders there is probably a pocket in the middle for ur hands and u can put a warmer in the, but usually unless u get wet, u arent usually cold
3.try to get a floatable vest only because they are usually less bulky, unless u get a small foam one, but they are usually unnesessary because unless u have a u-boat float tube which u sit lower than normal in the water, the water never goes higher than ur stomach or lower chest

have fun and enjoy ur float tube
look forward to having some posts :)

trouttroller
04-28-2007, 09:19 PM
I don't think you'll need the warmer now its been pretty hot out.

Nessie Hunter
04-29-2007, 08:41 AM
You can launch anywhere at Irvine....

If you have breathable waders, just wear sweats and pants under them, you will stay warm.. Heat packs work OK, but kicking around will keep you warm also...

Summer is here, No waders needed in most waters, Board shorts time..

Some lakes require waders, know the lake rules..

Vest (PFD).. You are 'required' to have one Accessible to you when on the water....

I attach the cheapo walmart one to my tube to be legal... Way to restrictive to wear it and fish... The newer Suspender style is much less restrictive, but will run $75 or more..

I have the ODC which has TWO main bladders, so I feel much safer, I also tube the Ocean as much as freshwater....

I have made extension tubes that fit in my valves (2' of 5/8" OD clear tubing, with duct tape on end to fit snug in valve).. I keep one in each pocket.. I had a slow leak one time in the bay and just put the extension in and inflated as needed, Left it in most of the day (hanging out of pocket), but kept fishing, no problem... Without the extension it would have been a very short day.... :D

See Chris Fish
04-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the replies.

The heater question was for winter tubing. I was thinking ahead. It's alreadly hot as hades, so I was wishing for cooler temps.

The vest question really boils down to the chance of a total failure of the air bladder. Since if it happened, I'm thinking things would "get a bit sticky" quickly. :titanic: Not alot of time to put on vest.

So how many people have had a sinking of one's tube so fast, thus creating a need for the vest? I'm thinking not many, if any at all.
The hose idea is great. :thumb: Should easily be enough to fill a leak till you can reach shore.

Do I get a wearable, comfortable vest cause of the chance of sinking, or are these tubes (FC4 or ODC) reliable enough to get way with the Walmart $15, yes Mr. Game Warden, I have a vest?

CatchthatTrout
04-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Got my vest at Wal-Mart $20.00

Number1Monkey
04-30-2007, 08:27 PM
I am a total girl about cold. They make some pretty sweet foot warmers that stick to your socks. As much as I hate the place, they have them at REI. I used them up in Bishop at 5 in the mornin'. I like them because you get sick of kicking when your feet are freezing. Welom to tubin'. Hope you love it!

See Chris Fish
05-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Bronzeback
05-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the replies.

The heater question was for winter tubing. I was thinking ahead. It's alreadly hot as hades, so I was wishing for cooler temps.

The vest question really boils down to the chance of a total failure of the air bladder. Since if it happened, I'm thinking things would "get a bit sticky" quickly. :titanic: Not alot of time to put on vest.

So how many people have had a sinking of one's tube so fast, thus creating a need for the vest? I'm thinking not many, if any at all.
The hose idea is great. :thumb: Should easily be enough to fill a leak till you can reach shore.

Do I get a wearable, comfortable vest cause of the chance of sinking, or are these tubes (FC4 or ODC) reliable enough to get way with the Walmart $15, yes Mr. Game Warden, I have a vest?

NO TUBE IS RELIABLE, that's why they put the warning label on them. Floattubes are meant to be used with a vest. USE COMMON SENSE, WARE A VEST.

Bladders rarely completely fail, but it happens. I've seen it happen a few times in my 40 years of tubing. One common mistake is over inflating in hot weather. A few years ago in Long Beach I was entering the water next to a tuber who was inflating his tube near shore. He was obviously over inflating his tube. I mentioned this to him and he told me to mind my own business. It was about an hour later, I heard a loud explosion. I turned to see the tuber yelling for help, he was neck deep in water with his deflated tube tangled around is head, struggling to grasp his vest he had TIED to the back of is tube. Luckily I was close by.

Don't let a little discomfort cost you your life. I've punctured my tube many, many times over the years and was always glad I was wearing my vest. And don't forget to ware your wader belt, you can't be to careful out there.

If comfort is that big of an issue, spend the extra bucks for the suspender vest. Personally, I use the full-motion foam vest from Cabela's ($39.95). Very comfortable, no foam over the shoulders to inhibit casting. Good Luck, be safe.

See Chris Fish
05-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks Bronzeback,

I've always planned on wearing a vest, just looking for chances of blowout of tubes, comfort of types of vest, and usefulness/annoyance of each. I haven't tubed yet, but I've seen many tubers doing it (and evil eyed them for catching when no one on shore was getting s**t.). Only seen one defate, not a blowout. Didn't count it though cause you could tell the 3 of them didn't have a clue what they were doing.

I'll be careful about the overfilling of the tube.

The Full-Motion Vest I seen in the catalog. Looked great but I wasn't sure if the back of the vest would sit ok in the tube. As in not sitting in the seat cause the vest pushes you forward so you're at a weird angle. Purchasing the Full-Motion Vest helps the budget also.

Bronzeback
05-05-2007, 08:21 AM
Thanks Bronzeback,

I've always planned on wearing a vest, just looking for chances of blowout of tubes, comfort of types of vest, and usefulness/annoyance of each. I haven't tubed yet, but I've seen many tubers doing it (and evil eyed them for catching when no one on shore was getting s**t.). Only seen one defate, not a blowout. Didn't count it though cause you could tell the 3 of them didn't have a clue what they were doing.

I'll be careful about the overfilling of the tube.

The Full-Motion Vest I seen in the catalog. Looked great but I wasn't sure if the back of the vest would sit ok in the tube. As in not sitting in the seat cause the vest pushes you forward so you're at a weird angle. Purchasing the Full-Motion Vest helps the budget also.

Foam vests work fine, plenty of room in most all tubes. Personally, I like the extra back support of the vest and if you adjust your seat correctly you wont have the slipping forward issue, which has nothing to do with the vest issue.

Some BIG guys might feel a little cramped with a vest, but this issue is really a casting apron issue not a vest issue. I use my full-motion vest on my Woodriver, Nevada Gold and Browning tubes. These tubes aren't the largest, yet I'm very comfortable.

Something I forgot to mention on tube inflation. Don't fully inflate your tube prior to heading up to high elevation destinations. You will definitely hear a loud explosion somewhere about 6,000 feet.