View Full Version : Report apr 22nd

ben0606
04-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Weather sunny no wind til after 9am
Water temp 68 to 72 degrees
Tackle drop shot, t rig, la slider
Fish 9, big fish 4.25 lbs 20 inches caught on t rig morning dawn 25 ft deep
5 to 25 ft deep range for all fish caught

Beautiful morning with no wind til about 9am and even then not too bad of wind rest of day. Worked the swim baits most of the day, still learning, went back and forth to drop and t rig with decent success. Lots of bites and a handful of misses. Arrived at 430 to see there is a tourney so I figured hey good practice to see where I stand. Very disappointed my last 5 outings with other boaters not having courtesy. Got it, tournaments money on the line but that doesn't mean you fly into the quarry cove full throttle and you see me and decide to do donuts before you make up your mind to go to the other side and causing me to almost slam into the rock wall. It seemed every cove I was in boats came in full throttle which first bite of the day I almost didn't feel cause a boats wake hit me hard, lucky me fish stayed on.

Did see some nice boats out there but it seems giving the right away, slowing the throttle passing by, or even the simple head nod has dwindled. I was passing one boat who was on a bed and asked if I could hit the cove behind them and they said no prob. A second later of of the guys said thanks for asking. That's just how I was brought up by my dad especially when fishing. Sorry for the rant but hope the report info helps.

Ben

JAG107
04-22-2012, 05:43 PM
I had a couple of A holes blow right through all the boats anchored with us near the I/O at full throttle maybe 15-20 yards from other boats, weaving between everyone anchored up. Probably doing close to 50. And they have the audacity to give us dirty looks when we're looking at them like WTF? Some of those baiters are piled up in little skiffs, big wakes make life unnecessarily difficult for them. Wish there was some better angler courtesy out there from the bass guys sometimes...

outcast16
04-22-2012, 07:52 PM
I had a couple of A holes blow right through all the boats anchored with us near the I/O at full throttle maybe 15-20 yards from other boats, weaving between everyone anchored up. Probably doing close to 50. And they have the audacity to give us dirty looks when we're looking at them like WTF? Some of those baiters are piled up in little skiffs, big wakes make life unnecessarily difficult for them. Wish there was some better angler courtesy out there from the bass guys sometimes...

i seen atleast 5 boats last weekend hauling *** 5ft off the bank screwing up all the water and look at you like they are on espn. they should make you take a class before you buy a nice shinny boat the only thing most of them are good at is wiping the boat down in the parking lot becuase thats where they spend most of thier time.

HawgZWylde
04-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Great report, thanks. Rude and ignorant boaters suck. Tournament or no tournament, the rules of the lake must be followed. The lake speed limit is 25mph. I know, but at least slow down around other anglers. That's the very reason we avoid DVL on weekends. We go Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or once in awhile Friday's. We've been bombed a couple of times on Friday's by pre-fish guys...

jeepnkal
04-22-2012, 08:37 PM
National Bass west contact info:

Diamond Valley Directors:
Mike and Lynne Peterson (760) 497-8238

Southwest Directors:
Lynne Peterson (760) 497-8238

Here are the people that need to be contacted and told about the actions of their contestants. These guys put people in jeopardy over a tourney and are just as bad as the guy that puts weights in a fish's stomach. They need to be held accountable. Give boat descriptions to the best of your memory and follow up.

DoubleTrouble
04-23-2012, 12:39 AM
While pre-fishing Friday, I was almost rammed by Striper guys racing out to the IO spot. 25 MPH guys, come on!

JigStop
04-23-2012, 01:03 PM
The tournaments ruin that lake for weekend fishing. What a bunch of buffoons. They should consider having one "tournament free" weekend per month so that that commoners can try to fish with some sense of dignity.

ben0606
04-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Now I know I said about tourney boats but yes there are the non tourney guys that are not courteous as well. I was on my way and found myself going through the mass striper boat area but I slowed my speed to 5 mph as I passed through. As I thought I was getting some looks I saw it wasn't me they. Were mean mugging, it was the boat zig zagging at high speed. I almost got pay back in the quarry after the boat did the donuts and almost made me crash into the rocks. As I was leaving I roared my motor but the. I saw another boat fishing at the opening so I backed off. Now I don't have a massive motor but i can still make a nice wave with my 60hp and I was so tempted. Next time I'll just have some nice words for them.

JAG107
04-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Would have been fun to follow those bassholes to their next secret spot, wait for them to anchor and start working it, then circle them real fast and blow by them a bunch of times...

Matt_Magnone
04-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Would have been fun to follow those bassholes to their next secret spot, wait for them to anchor and start working it, then circle them real fast and blow by them a bunch of times...

haha. thats what happens to me on a day to day basis on this lake. its hard to fish but you make due. want to find out who is driving all out of whack? put a camera on the rental boats. i cant even begin to count how many times i've been fishing the hump just out of bathroom cove north shore, and have boats blast between me and the shoreline. sometimes more than once on a sitting. all they gotta do is go around the outside and have the whole lake to themselves. 9 times out of 10 its a pontoon or rental. everyone on the lake including myself at times drives like an idiot. we're all at fault.

hookup
04-24-2012, 07:53 AM
haha. thats what happens to me on a day to day basis on this lake. its hard to fish but you make due. want to find out who is driving all out of whack? put a camera on the rental boats. i cant even begin to count how many times i've been fishing the hump just out of bathroom cove north shore, and have boats blast between me and the shoreline. sometimes more than once on a sitting. all they gotta do is go around the outside and have the whole lake to themselves. 9 times out of 10 its a pontoon or rental. everyone on the lake including myself at times drives like an idiot. we're all at fault.

you got it right matt all of us drive like idiots once in a while:Envious:.... i truly dont think the boats bother the fish too much .... my biggest striper out of there smashed my punker right after a ranger went by the bait going at least 50mph

JAG107
04-24-2012, 06:44 PM
I agree with you Matt, we can all drive stupidly from time to time; however, the rental boats don't have Verados bolted to their transoms. I'm remembering that tragic story of an angler who was broadsided and run over by a bass boat moving very fast at Casitas (I believe?), and to make matters worse the two guys were pals. There is just no reason to be operating any vessel recklessly around other fellow boaters. The fish should come a distant second to safe boating practices.

Geraldlim
04-24-2012, 07:37 PM
25 MPH guys, come on!
If I was ABLE to go 25 MPH that would be awesome! Hahaha!
It's all good, we still get to fish, and we all make mistakes sometimes. Don't let it spoil your day.
Just follow the golden rule and assume anyone on a boat not moving fast is fishing and slow down or go wide.

Buddy Bass
04-24-2012, 07:48 PM
I agree. I fished a few tournaments in the south and the so called "Red Necks" were much more courteous than the guys on DVL. Maybe that is because we all had a gun in the boat.

HawgZWylde
04-24-2012, 09:30 PM
I agree. I fished a few tournaments in the south and the so called "Red Necks" were much more courteous than the guys on DVL. Maybe that is because we all had a gun in the boat.

Lol, did you get any gators? The people in the South have respect. I would love to see what would happen if some smug Cali kid bombed one of those boys down there. Same in Texas or Oklahoma. Lol, It wouldn't be pretty...

DoubleTrouble
04-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Southerners are no different than us. You guys remember Gerald Swindle buzzing a competitor boat a few years ago at the Bassmasters Classic? It's real simple guys, @ssholes drive Bass boats, pontoon boats, Striper boats, rental boats, etc. We all need to be considerate towards each other.

Matt_Magnone
04-24-2012, 11:13 PM
well said. if you're gonna want to push your boats limits; know your vessel and its limitations, know self control and know right from wrong. pretty simple. if at anytime you have to think about if you screwed up and buzzed someone or if you are getting a little out of control; you probably did and probably were.