PDA

View Full Version : What's your longest drought???

skunked4life
04-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Went to newport surf this morning armed with lc and gulp camo worm (aka crack). Fished 2 hours and got skunked. Went to 15th street and m street. Got skunked. This is my longest drought...going on 5 weeks. My first 5 trips to the surf all resulted in a big fat stripe. Am i missing something???

What is your longest drought?

Cartman
04-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Went to newport surf this morning armed with lc and gulp camo worm (aka crack). Fished 2 hours and got skunked. Went to 15th street and m street. Got skunked. This is my longest drought...going on 5 weeks. My first 5 trips to the surf all resulted in a big fat stripe. Am i missing something???

What is your longest drought?

Long enough that I totally got into fishing and nearly totally forgot about catching. It was not unpleasant once I got used to it. It passed, though, and now I feel myself getting anxious about my catch and have to remind myself what it's all about. If you caught all the time they wouldn't call it fishing, they'd call it catching.

Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes it's just a nice day on the lake.

skunked4life
04-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Long enough that I totally got into fishing and nearly totally forgot about catching. It was not unpleasant once I got used to it. It passed, though, and now I feel myself getting anxious about my catch and have to remind myself what it's all about. If you caught all the time they wouldn't call it fishing, they'd call it catching.

Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes it's just a nice day on the lake.

That was awesome and truly inspirational! Thanks! I am going fishing again right now!

Armofisher818
04-21-2012, 02:01 PM
4 months and counting :(

fish_sauce
04-21-2012, 02:06 PM
It's been over a year since i caught a legal halibut...but then again, i'm only spending a small fraction of my free time on the water now, due to full time school and full time work. :Sad:

The surf is a dynamic environment, always changing and always different every time you go...there is an opportunity to learn something new with every outing...so it's important NOT to lose confidence and give up prematurely...perseverance is a virtue! :Wink:

Give the coastline a week or two to recover from all the runoff from the rain and you will have much better success, but in the mean time, don't give up yet! Looking forward to your reports!

Andrew

City Dad
04-23-2012, 09:46 AM
longest drought, including weekends not fished... I dunno, a month - a month-and-a-half. I need to get out more!

I tend to fish for perch/croaker, so when I actually go fishing, I rarely go completely skunked - maybe one outing a year. I'm sure that will change this summer when I start focusing on halibut and corbina (yep, Wingnut, it's time.)

Wingnut
04-23-2012, 10:05 AM
longest drought, including weekends not fished... I dunno, a month - a month-and-a-half. I need to get out more!

I tend to fish for perch/croaker, so when I actually go fishing, I rarely go completely skunked - maybe one outing a year. I'm sure that will change this summer when I start focusing on halibut and corbina (yep, Wingnut, it's time.)

Hey Tim, didn't think I would see this huh buddy? I'm going to hold you to it... :Big Grin:

Skunk sessions comes with the territory. There's more to fishing than just catching fish. :Wink:

One of my favorite fishing quotes goes something like this, "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after..."

Mr_Dunev
04-23-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm not sure how long it was probably close to a month, but it was 9 trips in a row. Just gotta stay positive and stick with it. You'll be rewarded before you know it, and look back and say "yup it was worth it"

P.S
Maybe your FNN name, should be changed...just saying the world works in mysterious ways.

Which Way Out
04-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Skunked for the last several months. Even my golf game has gone down hill. :Confused:

Now that the water is about to warm up, guess what happens? My old boss just called and wants me to come back to work on Tuesday. AAAAAGHH. I was just getting into being semi retired.

WWO

smokehound
04-26-2012, 02:21 AM
Being skunked is a rarity for me..

I generally catch at least two fish, because i'll fish from 5 am to 5pm most times.

The longest dry spell I've had was one day. if I cant get a particular species, i'll target others.

Try to have a backup plan, I'll usually bring some nice fat california mussels from the jetty with me in case my game is terrible. And possibly a few big fat sand crabs.

Then again, I love fighting big croakers and black perch on light line.